Do reps get a percentage of every episode of a TV show?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do reps get a percentage of every episode of a TV show?

Probably a dumb question but if you're an exec producer on a TV show, does your rep get his percentage of every single episode's exec producer fee + whatever additional fees you get for the entire length of the series? Not talking about residuals.

Re: Do reps get a percentage of every episode of a TV show?

Yes because you're a writer producer and that is your pay. Just because it has producer in the title doesn't matter.
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
      Yes because you're a writer producer and that is your pay. Just because it has producer in the title doesn't matter.
      Huh. I wasn't even thinking about the distinction b/w writing and producing. Does it make a difference in terms of your rep cutting a cut?

What if it's a reality show and you're not writing but actually producing?

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
        Huh. I wasn't even thinking about the distinction b/w writing and producing. Does it make a difference in terms of your rep cutting a cut?

What if it's a reality show and you're not writing but actually producing?
        Pay your rep. If it's a series, they get they percentage of every paycheck as a writer. If you don't want to pay for a rep, don't have one. You pay them a percent of everything except residuals. It's a deduction for you and part of the cost of being in the writing business.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
          Pay your rep. If it's a series, they get they percentage of every paycheck as a writer. If you don't want to pay for a rep, don't have one. You pay them a percent of everything except residuals. It's a deduction for you and part of the cost of being in the writing business.
          I'm not saying I don't want to pay my rep. I'm just asking a question.

And when Ducky answered, she implied that some kind of distinction b/w writing and producing when it comes to the rep getting paid. So I wanted clarification on that.

That exact situation would be I would be a an exec producer on a REALITY SHOW. I would get a percentage of the exec producer fee and an episode fee since it's based on my property. I would not be a writer on the show. So I was just wondering if my rep gets a percentage of those fees forever.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
            I'm not saying I don't want to pay my rep. I'm just asking a question.

And when Ducky answered, she implied that some kind of distinction b/w writing and producing when it comes to the rep getting paid. So I wanted clarification on that.

That exact situation would be I would be a an exec producer on a REALITY SHOW. I would get a percentage of the exec producer fee and an episode fee since it's based on my property. I would not be a writer on the show. So I was just wondering if my rep gets a percentage of those fees forever.
            Yes. As long as you are getting paid for the show no matter what your title is, your rep gets their percentage. That's how it works. Did your rep help get you this gig?

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
              Yes. As long as you are getting paid for the show no matter what your title is, your rep gets their percentage. That's how it works. Did your rep help get you this gig?
              Thank you. No my rep did not help me get this project (which is still in the pitching to networks phase). He did negotiate the contract for me.

Comment

If your rep packages the show, once it goes to air the agency gets a packaging fee from the studio and they don't take a commission from you.
                https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

There are writing producers and non-writing producers on shows.

The show I work on we have a couple Executive Producers that are execs/producers and don't write. I don't think they have reps, but I did intern for a production company where the producers were repped by an agency so that is possible too.
                  Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Working...
                  X