Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nepotism in the Industry?

Is that statement true? Unfounded? Anyone had any personal dealings with nepotism? Good/bad?

Thanks,

EJ

Sure it's true. Absolutely. I've been around it. I've seen all type of people get treated differently because of a relative. I've seen folks get great credits and big salaries due to their "connection" to a certain person. Lots of people have kids, cousins, brothers, sisters, and nephews who get jobs on films because of their "well placed" relative.

Is it bad? Eh. It's life. It happens in all sorts of businesses. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes it's annoying but you deal with it. Work harder. Be better. It's going to always happen like it or not. So, I wouldn't ever worry about it too much.

Comment

Oh yeah, it's here. I mean, just look at the credits on any film!

It starts with Lana Turner, and she brings in her relatives - first Kathleen Turner, then Ted Turner, then Ike & Tina Turner... when will it all stop?

I mean, it's like these gene splicing experiments! Do we really need Chuck Berry Manilow? Or the Hunter S. Thompson Twins? There should be a law!

- Bill

Comment

I've seen a lot of it. A LOT of it.

However, some studios have actually instituted nepotism rules where you can't hire a relative. Usually, though, creative thinking gets around those rules.

Fortunately, I can say that I'm not related to anyone in the business. I'm forced to hire other people's relatives.

ZODITCH

Comment

The problem, even worse than nepotism (which has been around since the early days of movies) is this constant sticking together of the same socio/economic background as you.

- the people who went to NYU people hire their friends
          - the people who went to USC help each other
          - the Velvet Mafia (i.e. gay) people stick together at the same parties
          - the Beverly Hills high kids help each other out
          - the UCLA ZBT (a fraternity) lawyers and agents help each other
          - the Harvard Lampoon writers all hire each other on the Simpsons

Maybe its the social nature of the business but it certainly keeps diverse voices out

...etc...

Comment

Well, I'm not a member of any of those groups, either. No wonder I'm missing out.

Still, somehow, people still get in without those connections. And they still get hired without connections. In business were everyone makes the same claims and all look alike, you look for something, ANYthing to make people stand out. Affiliations are one way to do it. Not saying it adds to variety, but, yes, it is the nature of the biz. So if you don't have any of those contacts, folks, make sure your work stands above all others by large degrees.

ZODITCH

Comment

Working...
            X