Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dune" Gets a Reboot

Is there really a lot of room for Peter Berg and Co. to improve upon David Lynch's 1984-rendering of the 1965-award-winning-novel?

Re: "Dune" Gets a Reboot

While there is no script yet, Berg added that David Lynch's previous movie "left the door wide open for a remake."
    Daaaaamn... play nice, Peter.

Wasn't there an adaptation on the Sci Fi Channel a few years back, one that a lot of folks thought did a pretty good job?

I don't have much of an opinion on the novel... over the years I've given it a few futile tries but found it too dry to get past a handful of chapters.

But I really liked Berg's Very Bad Things, which is probably one of the pitchest black comedies I've seen make it to the screen, so it'll be interesting to see what he'll do with this project.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I'll say this of Berg, his movies aren't bad. He doesn't deliver any piling heaps of turd, but unfortunately, none are really great either.

Dune calls for two things--1. A master director 2. Lots and lots of minutes.

1. Berg isn't a master.

2. The story is too complex to do it true justice.

Lynch's version had the great tone and visuals, but not enough time. The Sci-Fi version did an excellent job of telling the story, but didn't have the money to make it look like it should--or should say--could. It was a well very good, but not as great as Dune fans know a true film adaptation could be.

I'd be very surprised if this thing gets amde and is actualluy any good when it does.

Gotta love Hollywood, not only is every other exec scared to death of using new material--they're going to adapt a book for the third time in 25 years?

Somebody shoot me.

There are six new prequel books that came out in the last 5 years or so. 3 set just before dune and 3 set 10,000 year before dune. Very entertaing--and much more user freindly--i.e. not as dense or off beat as dune.

Either trilogy would make a great sci-fi channel series or like a 22 show mini-series for a sho or hbo.

Comment

A few observations:

I saw the movie first, back in the 1980s, before reading the book. I thought it was pretty good. It was also on cable last night. I don't know if it was the same cut that I saw in the 1980s. The film last night was 190 minutes and was labeled "expanded version." I only caught the last hour of it. I still thought it was pretty good, though I can tell you that my critical appreciation of film has toughened a lot in the last ten years, and some things in the film last night made me cringe.

I read the book about fifteen years ago and thought it was a sci-fi masterpiece. You probably have to be inclined to myth and mysticism to appreciate the novel fully.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I saw the movie first, back in the 1980s, before reading the book. I thought it was pretty good. It was also on cable last night. I don't know if it was the same cut that I saw in the 1980s. The film last night was 190 minutes and was labeled "expanded version." I only caught the last hour of it. I still thought it was pretty good, though I can tell you that my critical appreciation of film has toughened a lot in the last ten years, and some things in the film last night made me cringe.

------------------------

That's the Alan Smithee version that Lynch wouldn't put his name on. It's a very good bet that none of the things that made you cringe were in the 140 min version that was released.

The long version has some good scenes that are missing or shortened the 140 min version that fans of the book would enjoy as it help builds backstory and characters missing in the short vers, but it also seems like they didn;t get to shoot about a quarter of what they wanted for the long version and just threw it all together incomplete in the somewhat hodgepodge that is the 190 version--hence Lynch taking his name off it.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Mark View Post
            and some things in the film last night made me cringe.

Isn't that usually always the case with movies made in the 80s?

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Mark View Post

Gotta love Hollywood, not only is every other exec scared to death of using new material--they're going to adapt a book for the third time in 25 years?
              Fear is the mind killer.

It is one rare occasion where I am delighted they are looking at re-making a movie. This is it.

I loved the visuals in Peter Lynch's film. The guild steersman looked fantastic in his tank at the start. I loved learning how to pronounce words like Bene Geserit. The much earlier production stuck more closely to the original story, which I was glad about, but it didn't come off so well as entertainment.

Sardauker troops have a lot of potential as a strong antagonistic force, and could be cool on screen.

I hope they make a series, too

Comment

I'm agree with yeehi.

I like the idea of this being remade.
                Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

I disagree. The original DUNE is a classic. I piss on their poor remakes!
                  http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X