No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dramatic Irony

Originally posted by LMPurves View Post
    But to assume that those who disagree with your take must be using English in a different way than you comes across as a thinly veiled insult against said disagree-ers.
    Huh?

It was the exact opposite. Of course we all use the English language in a different way to each other!

That's what makes it a fluid, fascinating language rather than just a boring rigid specification.

It was a reference to how people across the world use exactly the same phrase for subtly different things.

Look at the simplest concept ever - what you Americans count as 'a sandwich' would never be included where I come from. (And that's before we get onto the concept of calling a pizza a 'pie'!)

That isn't a thinly veiled insult against people who eat differently to me ... it is a wry acknowledgement that there is no single definition to *ANY* word or phrase in the English language.

I'm almost at the end of my tether here .. if you aren't careful I'll resort to using 'smiley' faces at the end of my sentences ...

Please don't make me do that. I'll never be able to look at myself in the eye again ...

Mac
    New blogposts:
    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
      Huh?

It was the exact opposite. Of course we all use the English language in a different way to each other!

That's what makes it a fluid, fascinating language rather than just a boring rigid specification.

It was a reference to how people across the world use exactly the same phrase for subtly different things.

Look at the simplest concept ever - what you Americans count as 'a sandwich' would never be included where I come from. (And that's before we get onto the concept of calling a pizza a 'pie'!)

That isn't a thinly veiled insult against people who eat differently to me ... it is a wry acknowledgement that there is no single definition to *ANY* word or phrase in the English language.

I'm almost at the end of my tether here .. if you aren't careful I'll resort to using 'smiley' faces at the end of my sentences ...

Please don't make me do that. I'll never be able to look at myself in the eye again ...

Mac
      If I misunderstood the meaning behind your post, then I sincerely apologize, Mac H.

And just for the record, I ain't American. I'm one of those dreaded Canadians...
      il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Originally posted by LMPurves View Post
        And just for the record, I ain't American. I'm one of those dreaded Canadians...
        That's OK ... as long as you don't call a pizza a 'pie' .. or a burger a 'sandwich'.

Then at least we'll be able to communicate.

BTW - According to my trusty map Canada is on the American Continent.

Someone from the European Continent = European
        Someone from the Asian Continent = Asian
        Someone from the African Continent = African
        Someone from the Australian Continent = Australian
        Someone from the American Continent = American

Don't let those Southerners tell you any differently ... Reclaim the word!

Mac
        New blogposts:
        *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
        *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
        *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
        *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
          Someone from the American Continent = American

Mac
          Technically, the continent is North America.

The bottom portion (and a tiny little spec of the upper continent known as Alaska) is The United States of America. They are Americans.

The top half is Canada. Completely separate and a commonwealth country. We are Canadians.

We're on top and we're much larger. America is like our b*tch.
          il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Working...
          X