Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Dialog

This may be a repeat, but does anybody have a favorite bit of dialog?

Just heard this on AMC ("Sunset Boulevard", with W. Holden and G. Swanson) -

He: You really going to send that script to DeMille?

She: The timing is perfect. My astrologist has read my horoscope and his too.

He: Has she read your script?

- Love that kinda stuff.

Mel Brooks used to churn out gold.

Gov. LePetomane (grabs the black sheriff by mistake and pulls him aside): What's wrong with you? Can't you see that man is a ni-?

(Freezes in mid-word when he realizes he's talking to the sheriff. Goes back, grabs Harvey Korman, pulls him aside.)

Gov.: What's wrong with you?
    Can't you see that man is a ni-?

Or, in the scene where the sheriff announces he's the new sheriff, standing in front of the entire town.

Sheriff: Pardon me while I whip this out...

In Young Frankenstein, a wolf howls in the distance.

Inga: Oo, a werewolf!

Frankenstein: Werewolf?

Igor: Where wolf? There wolf.

And even though the movie stunk, in History of the World Part I, he managed one classic line that is quoted or paraphrased again and again...

Louis (immediately after shooting a peasant as skeet): It's good to be the king.

Your pal,
    Couchguy

Comment

"I don't want to die, but if I have to, I'm gonna die last."
      "You're like a leaf the wind blows from one gutter to
      another."

"The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river."

"She came to town with dreams of Hollywood, and this is how they turned out."
      "You'd screw yourself to get ahead."
      "Some men get the world, others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona."

(had a great meeting with the guys who made the film the last three lines are from)

- Bill

Comment

I recently saw "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" for the first time in many years and that has some great dialogue. I'm too tired to type out specific quotes but I'm sure those of you that have seen it know what I mean.

The first exchange in "Body Heat" between William Hurt and Kathleen Turner also comes to mind. "You're not too smart. I like that in a man."

Comment

Bogart's banter with Ustinov in We're No Angels

Bogart's exchanges with Lorre in The Maltese Falcon

Nicholson's banter with his "wife" in that flim in which she saves him from hangig by marrying him

The final court scene in Miracle on (#?nd) Street

The debate over x-mass between Scrooge and Cratchett

Most of The Producers

Most of The Owl and the @#%$cat

Most of Sleuth

Comment

"But you hate people."
            "But I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?" (or something like that)

"You go over what he draws with a pen - that's tracing."
            "Not really."

"Hey man. If somebody draws something and then you draw the same thing right on top of it, not going out-side the
            designated original art what do call that?"
            Kid:
            "I don't know. Tracing?"

"Hey, don't get all testy with me because you have a problem with your station it life."

Comment

Pleading ignorance

I don't recognize that dialogue. But as an illustrator, I love it. Where does it come from, please?

Comment

Re: Pleading ignorance

Chasing Amy

Comment

I had a wonky feeling that it would be that flick. After having provided over 13 years of comix-illustration (and no writing/drawing my own book), many friends warned me off the movie. But maybe it's time I rented it. As I do dig K. Smith...

Thank you for the answer.

And, as someone who digs fantasy/sci-fi, I sincerely wish you the best of luck in "making it". Someday, I hope that subjects beyond the pale will receive the same accolades as "Sophie's Choice" (but I won't hold my breath...)

Comment

I do recommend Chasing Amy. I just love the way Kevin Smith writes dialogue. I draw as a hobby, although I've never done comix but want to. There are so many discussions in the movie that I totally love. The whole "Coming to terms with being an inker"...LOVE IT!

Comment

"We went to a Chinese restaurant last night. Bad food, good fortune."

Comment

Re: classic?

Classic to us, or in the literal sense. Do you mean classic era film dialouge?

Comment

Re: classic?

Rox: I was meaning "classic to you", but either way works. My choice actually fit both worlds. It just so happened I was watching the movie while typing my screenplay and cheating a peek in on the bulletin board when bored with my own writing. I thought Holden's retort was *so* apropos to some of the threads here.

Bill Marquardt

Comment

Working...
                          X