No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Spec Question

When writing a spec, should you include a B story line to allow the other
    characters to be seen, or should you just concentrate on the A story line?
    Thanx

Are you talking about TV or film? If TV, hour or sitcom? Clarify your question a bit and I'll see if I can answer it.

Comment

back stories, sub plots, tie-ins - if they fit the story the tell the story
      if they don't fit, you might not have a movie there after all

aside: maybe you are worrying too much about what the books say: tell the st ory and deal with structure later - jm2cw

Comment

Steeves, I agree if you're talking about screenplays but if the question was about TV specs, structure is crucial. You need to set up the dilemna in the first few pages have a strong act break(s) in the right place and you need a B story.

Comment

Sorry, to clarify, I was talking about a half hour television spec. I am not
          sure whether just to concentrate on an A story-line, or to include a B story-
          line as well. For instance this is the way most half hour comedies are written,
          although I am not sure whether it matters in a spec script.
          Thanx

Comment

I don't think half hour shows are a real hot item these days. You have to have two, to fill an hour, and they are tending towards the one hours, or that's what I've been told. Is this a sample script based on an existing show that is still in production? If it's based on an existing show, you follow that show's structure and whatever they do in that show, you do.

Comment

PRX:

I've never worked in television, but I have studied writing. Your spec needs to be as good as you can make it. If it is the type of show that has a B plot, put the B plot in your spec. Like GIG said.

Bill M.

Comment

You need to do three things in a half-hour comedy spec: nail the structure, nail the voices of the characters and be funny as hell. It's to showcase your abilities as a writer and part of writing in half hour is servicing most of the characters within a 40-50 page script. (Note also that 1/2 hour script format is different. All dialogue is double spaced). If the show you're writing has B storys, you MUST have one in your script. You may also want to include a runner (a little running gag). Family shows used to all have A and B stories where the kids had a B story and it thematically paralled the adult A story. Things aren't as rigid now but most shows still use A and B structure. Some like Sex in The City have A,B,C and D stories in order to follow all the characters.

Get sample scripts from the show and look at how long the scenes are, where the act breaks are, etc. Look at how many lines and scenes the supporting characters have. You don't have to hit the exact number of course, but try to come close.

When you're done, go through with a pen and mark every joke. If there isn't at least one per page, punch it up. And they should be jokes that come out of the situation and characters, not one-liners shoehorned into the scene.

And don't fall into the trap of saying "this is as good as that crap they put on the air." What ends up on the air on most shows is a result of bad compromises between network, studio, actors, etc. Your spec has to be better than what's on the air. And in half-hour, the name of the games is funny.

All that said, GIG is right, the half-hour market is bad right now but it will swing back. If you have the enrgy, I'd suggest also writing a one hour spec of a hybrid show like Ally McBeal, Buffy, Sopranos, where you can stil lshow off your comedy writing skills but tell a more developed story as well. That way you're going after a bigger market and allowing yourself more options.

Comment

Thanx for the info! Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X