No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mad Max 4

Originally posted by dmizzo View Post
    Except no one wants to see Mel in a movie but you. He's an ugly, insane, racist, insane drunk. He's done.
    Mel Gibson done? I disagree. And so would many other people.
    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

We caught the original MAD MAX last night. God, what a mess. But it gave birth to an enduring character.

Comment

Originally posted by dmizzo View Post
        Except no one wants to see Mel in a movie but you. He's an ugly, insane, racist, insane drunk. He's done.
        Can't wait for this to become a thread about Nazis!

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen something this visually epic from a sheer action perspective. This sets a new bar for action choreography. Don't even get me started on the world-building. It was nothing short of amazing. I truly can't wait to see it again.

That said, I read Tom Hardy said in an interview he didn't feel like he knew what Miller wanted from him in terms of Max and I felt that. I think anytime someone takes on an established and revered character, that's the difficulty so while I can't blame Hardy (and I'm a big fan of his) this version of Max just didn't get there with me for whatever reason - as scripted or the performance or directing.

But as a whole, I loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
            Can't wait for this to become a thread about Nazis!
            Well, Mel does have a thing against Jews.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
              That said, I read Tom Hardy said in an interview he didn't feel like he knew what Miller wanted from him in terms of Max and I felt that. I think anytime someone takes on an established and revered character, that's the difficulty so while I can't blame Hardy (and I'm a big fan of his) this version of Max just didn't get there with me for whatever reason - as scripted or the performance or directing.
              I suspect it's because this is really Furiosa's movie.

Character is revealed by decisions under pressure, and Max makes very few, compared to Furiosa. e.g., he's the one who suggests the third-act plan, but it's her decision to do it that means that it happens. Almost all of Max's decisions are done with self-preservation in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                I suspect it's because this is really Furiosa's movie.

Character is revealed by decisions under pressure, and Max makes very few, compared to Furiosa. e.g., he's the one who suggests the third-act plan, but it's her decision to do it that means that it happens. Almost all of Max's decisions are done with self-preservation in mind.
                Yep, for sure.

Comment

VAGUE SPOILERS

Max does go from sticking his neck out for no one to sticking his neck out for this group (as he did with the gas maker's village), and then walks away instead of joining.

But it's Furiosa's movie (maybe even named after her), she's the one trying to go home...

Oh, an Nux really has the largest arc in the whole damned film. Think about the Nux/Max relationship and how it changes over the course of the film.

Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I hope to go and watch this, so have avoided the spoilers.

I've read some great reviews of the film, they have ditched the CGI, apparently audiences are getting weary of it, and employed around 150 stunt people and extras instead. It seems that the stunt schools that were all closing in the 1990s are opening up again.
                    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

The story is that Miller wrote Mad Max out of the movie after Mel Gibson's meltdowns...then after Charlize got on board, someone finally woke up. You cannot have a Mad Max movie without Mad Max. Thus Mad Max was shoehorned in. My hubby and kids went to see it last night---while they disagreed on how much they liked it (hubby was disappointed, complained that there was more CGI then he'd been led to expect) they all agreed it's a visual spectacle with a barely there story/plot.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                        Oh, an Nux really has the largest arc in the whole damned film. Think about the Nux/Max relationship and how it changes over the course of the film.
                        After Max returns from dealing with the bullet farmers and tosses Nux a boot, my buddy and I burst into laughter. I was shocked that we were the only ones in the theater to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                          The story is that Miller wrote Mad Max out of the movie after Mel Gibson's meltdowns...then after Charlize got on board, someone finally woke up. You cannot have a Mad Max movie without Mad Max. Thus Mad Max was shoehorned in. My hubby and kids went to see it last night---while they disagreed on how much they liked it (hubby was disappointed, complained that there was more CGI then he'd been led to expect) they all agreed it's a visual spectacle with a barely there story/plot.
                          That's pretty much what I guessed just from watching the trailers. Max was barely in them, and portrayed by a not-quite-famous (but admittedly talented) actor, while most of the focus was on this Furiosa character, portrayed by a famous (but not very talented) actress.

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
                            That's pretty much what I guessed just from watching the trailers. Max was barely in them, and portrayed by a not-quite-famous (but admittedly talented) actor, while most of the focus was on this Furiosa character, portrayed by a famous (but not very talented) actress.
                            Hardy barely spoke for the first hour. Hubby said he had no presence. Supposedly Hardy is signed for three more Mad Max movies, he'll have time to develop one.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                              Hardy barely spoke for the first hour. Hubby said he had no presence. Supposedly Hardy is signed for three more Mad Max movies, he'll have time to develop one.
                              It's usually something you see in amateur scripts. A main character simply doesn't speak enough, giving him/her a hollow, empty feeling. Now that I know he was shoved in, it all makes sense.
                              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't really like this. It was a triumph of set design and imagination (not to mention some remarkable action), but a failure on a character and story level (for me). In the end, that's a deal-breaker. Strange to say, but I was bored by it.

I thought all the characters were paper thin (with Nux probably to most fleshed out) and the story could have been written on a cocktail napkin. Even the action, for all it's novelty and ingenuity mostly washed over me - I never felt that it connected or was always well directed. Ironically enough, with all the whizzing action, the most interesting sequence for me was when they were stuck in the mud and were trying to get out, because they were actually working together and using their minds. I remember perking up at that point. The rest was just a huge letdown.

Although, if you take this as a big-budget B-movie, it could be seen as genre triumph. I dunno. I'm kind of surprised by the near unanimous praise. Both my girlfriend and I did't like it and my other friend who lives a thousand miles away didn't like it either...so maybe I'm not alone?

Comment

Working...
                                X