X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
    A Swede in Australia?

I'm an Anglo in Scandinavia so was pretty confused to see the film under a different title; I've not read it (yet) but frankly, the change in title confuses me.
    I'm not a Swede. Though there are plenty in Australia. It's like the League of Nations here

The change of title is confusing, as Men Who Hate Women was perfect. I suspect Anglo publishers thought it was too in-your-face for us sensitive English-speaking types.
    TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I recently started the book. I'm on pg 162 and it's only now starting to get interesting. The beginning is rather dull.

I'll check out the movie after I finish up.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

finally checked this out before it left the theaters.
        i'm not reading the book and reading 162 pages before it starts to get good.
        the flick was good and drew me in from the beginning. i'm looking forward to the sequel already.

Comment

The film was okay.

Spoilers

the violence in the first act was unnecessary or should I say. Forced.
          Ie the cliched subway scene with the apparent tough boys predictably jamming the girl in the face. The parole officer anal ****ing her.

There were a few implausible scenes that should of been cleaned up, ie she recording the rape with a camcorder not a spy cam but a sizable cam WITHOUT the guy noticing it. On the table. Next to the bed.

But overall the acting was pretty good. Though the editor had a chance to cut
          some of the fat.

Comment

Originally posted by montevideo View Post
            The film was okay.

Spoilers

the violence in the first act was unnecessary or should I say. Forced.
            Ie the cliched subway scene with the apparent tough boys predictably jamming the girl in the face. The parole officer anal ****ing her.

There were a few implausible scenes that should of been cleaned up, ie she recording the rape with a camcorder not a spy cam but a sizable cam WITHOUT the guy noticing it. On the table. Next to the bed.

But overall the acting was pretty good. Though the editor had a chance to cut
            some of the fat.
            I completely agree. The film's biggest strength was it's affective violence, but most of it was detached from the story.
            The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

[...SPOILERS...]

I thought it was pretty good too, except for where the middle-aged guy nails the hot, hot young woman. Seriously, I know Daddy issues exist, but this is taking it to the extreme.

Comment

but what you were suppose to take from this (as a storyteller, not a filmmaker) was that she was very clever... and then later, she informs us she was even more lucky b/c the bj turned into something much more damaging.

Originally posted by britwrit View Post
                [...SPOILERS...]

I thought it was pretty good too, except for where the middle-aged guy nails the hot, hot young woman. Seriously, I know Daddy issues exist, but this is taking it to the extreme.
                it wasn't a "daddy" issue. it was a control issue. what little control she had over her money and her sex was being taken from her... she was getting it all back and on her terms.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                  but what you were suppose to take from this (as a storyteller, not a filmmaker) was that she was very clever... and then later, she informs us she was even more lucky b/c the bj turned into something much more damaging.

it wasn't a "daddy" issue. it was a control issue. what little control she had over her money and her sex was being taken from her... she was getting it all back and on her terms.
                  Understand your point. But taking it from an audience POV that scene was not realistic. And the payoff (her showing us the footage) reinforced that implausibility, i.e. the angle of the shot of the footage tells us the camera was right in his face.

IMO, the writer and or director got a little lazy. it could of been thought through better, like why didn't she use the spy camera that she used at the last half of the second act for that bedroom scene?

Comment

[...SPOILERS...]

Funny, I didn't find her in the least bit attractive - just scary.
                    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Oh, sorry. It's been a while since I saw the movie and I forgot about that plot point.

No, I was talking about her involvement with the hero, the whole no-strings sex thing. Sure, he was a famous journalist, etc. etc.... but for me, it came a little too close to middle-age male fantasy.

Comment

Oh, sorry. It's been a while since I saw the movie and I forgot about that plot point.

No, I was talking about her involvement with the hero, the whole no-strings sex thing. Sure, he was a famous journalist, etc. etc.... but for me, it came a little too close to middle-age male fantasy.
                        That's not a plot-point.

Comment

i didn't read the book but i've talked to a couple of people who did. in the book blumkvist was a ladies' man, young and good looking. they chose the wrong actor to play this part b/c it eliminates the "she turned the tables on him by taking charge" element.

Comment

Best complicated, dripping with nuance films I've seen in ages. Very much dug it. She was tremendous. Complicated. Flashbacks. Heavy Narrative. 3 Protagonists. Multiple Antogonists. Against the grain. Dabdney in 9-5 would be proud with the evolution of cinematic pull and tackle

Comment

I hope Miley Cyrus plays the lead in the American version.

I saw it at the Sunset 5 a while back, and liked it. Interesting characters and the idea of someone vanishing from an island was interesting.

I could have done without the two leads having sex, too - but more for story reasons. She is a wild, unpredictable person... he is analytical. I didn't want them to hook up, I wanted them to be at odds with each other throughout the story - and uneasy alliance. Though I don't think they because a couple after the sex, *he* may have... and that softens some of the conflict/drama/interetsing stuff.

The parole officer scene made me cheer and squirm at the same time... so it worked for me.

- Bill
                              Free Script Tips:
                              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Daniel Craig confirmed as Blomquist. Interesting choice, but workable.

Lisbeth Salander is the role they absolutely have to get right for this to work. The Swedes did it; but can the HW producers?

Looks like the HW version wil be set in Sweden, too, thank goodness.
                                TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Working...
                                X