Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it encouraging

to you that the top three grossing movies right now are original material?
    Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Re: Is it encouraging

I enjoy it.

Comment

Considering that some of my favorite movies are adaptations, I'm not sure I would call it encouraging. I have a pretty long list of books, novellas, short stories and such I'd like to adapt -- a list that's almost as long as the list of original ideas I'm planning to write at some point.

So, unlike most of my screenwriting pals, I'm kinda neutral on this whole sequels, remakes and adaptations vs. original material issue.

Comment

I'm all for recycling, but Hollywood has been taking it to extremes in recent times, so I find it very encouraging.
        TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
          'tis but a minor pothole on the road that ends in 20 years time with me accepting the OscarĀ® for Best Screenplay Adapted From a Popular Breakfast Cereal or Breakfast Cereal Bar.
          "Only nothing is impossible."
          - Grant Morrison

Comment

Definitely. And as someone who writes action films with female protagonists, I'm over the moon about Salt.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
              'tis but a minor pothole on the road that ends in 20 years time with me accepting the OscarĀ® for Best Screenplay Adapted From a Popular Breakfast Cereal or Breakfast Cereal Bar.
              COUNT CHOCULA is just waiting for his shot

Comment

Someone who follows industry trends like a fiend needs to come in here and tell us what this signifies (if anything).

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                  Count Chocula just pitched a no-hitter for the Tampa Bay Rays. I'm serious.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                    absolutely!!! and i hope the trend continues... for the sake of us all!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                      Hey, you can do that one. I'm all about the Lucky Charms. I an confident that the world is just crying out for a breakfast cereal based supernatural thriller.

Unlucky Charms

Years of stereotyping finally take their toll, causing genuine leprechaun Sheamus O'Shaunessy to snap and take revenge on the consumers of Lucky Charms cereal.

O'Shaunessy uses his magic plant a bunch of genuine magical charms within random boxes of cereal. The recipients of these magical gifts are thankful for them at first, but slowly the charms begin to turn on them.

The lonely spinster whose heart shaped charm led to her dating her long term crush discovers all too late that Mr Perfect is in fact a violent, abusive psycho.

The relief of the drought hit farmer whose crops were saved when the rainbow charm brought rain for the first time in weeks, slowly turns to despair as the rain just keeps coming and coming, eventually flooding away his fields.

An amateur astronomer whose shooting star charm sets him on a hot streak of discovering new comets in the solar system has his joy cut short when he realizes that the largest one he has discovered is on a direct course to crash into Earth.

As reports of these and other ill favoured charms get back to General Mills food company, they liaise with the famous FBI Elite Cereal Crimes Unit to track down O'Shaunessy in order to force him to reverse his magic before the comet impacts and wipes out mankind.

20 years from now. OscarsĀ®. See you there.
                      "Only nothing is impossible."
                      - Grant Morrison

Comment

In all seriousness, this past weekend's box office is a very small victory, if it is in fact a victory at all. It's just one weekend out of many. Despite the griping of critics and a handful of vocal internet users, which I'm sure the suits are aware of, the sequels/remakes/adaptations still make buttloads of money. There is very little incentive for Hollywood to change the business model, which will always be to favor a sure thing with a built-in market over a creative risk that needs to be marketed and promoted from the ground up. Besides, the original material is only half the battle. We wouldn't be complaining as much if Hollywood took the time and care to develop the story potential of all of these sequels/remakes/adaptations. A large part of the problem is that the tickets sell themselves with some of these properties, so there is also very little incentive to actually tell a compelling story that will earn its buck through positive word of mouth. It's all about the wham bam of the opening weekend, pulling a fast one on the audience before they realize they've been suckered into watching something utterly disposable.

Comment

I'm pretty sure its just a glitch in the matrix...

. NARRATOR
                          . (calming voice)
                          Do not be concerned, this current moment of originality will not affect the bell curve of mediocrity. Please return your your seats to the lowered positions and assume an expression of bovine calm. Do not be alarmed, normal service will resume shortly. .
                          ________
                          Shemale Ladyboy
                          Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:05 AM.
                          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X