Looking for examples of Great Martial Arts movies...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for examples of Great Martial Arts movies...

Most action scenes written by writers are not very good nor very helpful. I would say that 90% of the time, stunt coordinators and fight choreographers ignore what's written because the writers have no clue how to write an action scene. Too many writers, even on a professional level, create scenes that are not filmable.

Writing a good action scene will set you apart from most writers. It is not just explosions, shoot outs and bones breaking. Action scenes should be like mini-stories. There should be a beginning, a middle and an end (although sometimes a short action scene will have no middle). Each section should have its own dramatic beats. Writers writing action scenes should focus on storytelling, not specific moves. Only write specific moves if it's essential to the story. This will make the scenes exciting for a reader AND the coordinator/ choreographer.

The example above from The Matrix, while a little long, can be a good way to write action because it lays out the dramatic beats of the fight. It does not try to shoehorn the coordinator or director into filming something that doesn't make sense and allows them the freedom to create something exciting while following a dramatic blueprint. The coordinator/choreographer reading the Wachowski's scene knows exactly what emotional and dramatic beats that they want in the story and allows him to give them exactly that.

Another good way to write action is to focus on story specific elements. What is going on in the action that relates to the overall story of the script? Are the characters trying to get something specific? Are they fighting over a bag of money? Are they both trying to grab a gun on the floor? Don't describe a gunfight in detail or a fight move by move. Instead, let people know what's at stake in the action and what people want. Just like any other scene. If a character fights in a specific style, say Praying Mantis or 52 Blocks, state it. But don't describe the style. The reader probably won't know what the hell you're describing and a coordinator will just roll his eyes (unless you really know what you're talking about).

What I don't recommend is for someone to write something like:
    "The bad guys converge on our hero who is outnumbered. Then all of a sudden… BAM! POW! CRACK! Fists and feet flying, bones breaking. Our hero has taken them all out!"

If you want to see a stunt coordinator or action director laugh, give them a scene like that. And believe me, I've seen more than a fair share of action scenes written that way. What good is something like that to anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Huangjinyoujiao View Post
      Most action scenes written by writers are not very good nor very helpful. I would say that 90% of the time, stunt coordinators and fight choreographers ignore what's written because the writers have no clue how to write an action scene. ...
      On behalf of those writers who take up the challenge to write this sort of action, I want to thank you! Hearing from someone in-the-know is when this Board is at its best. By your post count, you've just joined in and I welcome you here. This was very helpful, thanks.

One of the good things I got from what you wrote was that this annoying thing called "story" keeps coming up -- good thing, too!

After all, we're not writing documentaries or Kung Fu for Dummies!

And by "story", in terms of fight/action, we mean "why in the heck is there a fight going on", "where is this action sequence taking us", etc.

The breaking bones, etc. is actually pretty incidental to me.

Great stuff!

Comment

Awesome advice Huangjinyoujiao. Catcon beat me to his question. Now that I had great movies to watch, I was also wondering on how to write it.

Thanks.
        Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

I've been working on a film featuring martial arts and have enjoyed lurking on this thread, but after a rough draft I know I need to rework a lot of the action lines so I thought I'd share what I've discovered so far.

First, there's a book called FIGHT CHOREOGRAPHY THE ART OF NON-VERBAL DIALOGUE which has been a fascinating read and has really helped me look at the scenes from the perspective of a fight choreographer while enhancing my vocabulary for discussing fights. Also, there's a book by martial arts author Rory Miller entitled VIOLENCE: A WRITER'S GUIDE which helps debunk some of the myths found in derivative cinema action.

Second, there seem to be two different styles towards writing fight scenes:
          1) THE MATRIX style, where vague action lines encapsulate the motion of the action but exhibits no understanding of technique or strategy
          2) BOURNE style, where each move is tightly written in short, static action fragments broken up to focus the reader's eye on specific moments within the fight. Techniques are identified and there is a discernible arc to the fight.

I think it's evident which provides a better read, but the former is certainly easier than the latter. I practice martial arts which has been essential to helping me write these scenes - I'm not saying everyone needs a black belt, but taking a self-defense class one weekend will help understanding the psychology and physicality involved. Additionally, I picked up a couple of books on street techniques to learn how a professional would react to attackers and be able to better describe techniques.

I'd appreciate any more thoughts or advice people have on writing fights. I also think that there's a difference between the type of movie THE MATRIX is and the type the BOURNE films are, which also influences action action lines (heh).

Finally, does anyone have any links to any scripts for martial arts films (other than MATRIX)? I've been looking for ENTER THE DRAGON but not even Planet Megamall has that one...

Comment

Working...
          X