Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red

and now for something that looks like fun. great cast of old farts who shouldn't retire anytime too soon!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ZjB...=red%20trailer

Re: Red

Seeing Helen Mirren kicking ass is going to be a highlight of....well, life.

Comment

I'm officially tapping out with these ensemble "team" actioners. If it's any good, I'll find out 9-months from now on a boring tuesday night via On-demand cable.
      "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
      - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

As much as I want to see Helen Mirren fire a machine gun and John Malkovich play himself, this film just doesn't look like it'll have any lasting impact. Looks like something you watch with your friends on a snowy weekend with a case of beer.

I think I'll save that $20 I'll spend at the theater, buy that case of beer and wait for winter to come.

Comment

Of some relevance: the screenplay is a great read. It's a hoot. (I see zero reason to see the movie, having read the script -- the script was that entertaining.)

Comment

i saw this one last night. it's a lot of fun and i had a great time. john malkovich cracked me up with his antics. the cast overall is really good, as i expected it would be. not much more to add at this point as it would spoil viewing for others.
            life happens
            despite a few cracked pots-
            and random sunlight

Comment

Ok, I'll spoil it for viewers....it's lousy. Talk about trying too hard to be cute, hip, slick...whatever. None of it worked for me. It was a collection of scenes, several with a clever reveal...but the story rambled and meandered and felt like they made it up as they went. Gave me a bit of the same vibe I got from Soderbergh's Oceans flicks: famous movie stars being famous movie stars--and cute, don'tcha know--in a movie about nothing.

And you know what---neither Helen Mirren nor Morgan Freeman are much as comic actors, or actors in an action-comedy. They both came across as their usual regal, noble selves, but that didn't do much for the movie.
              The tone bounced back and forth--between Karl Urban's super-serious straight-guy-villain to the antics of Malkovich to the lame go-along-for-the-ride (literally) damsel-in-distress role Mary-Louise Parker got stuck with.

I laughed at one exchange in the movie:

Code:
              INT. CIA - DAY

The massive steel vault door slowly swings open to reveal
              the ultra-secret archive.

AGENT COOPER [Urban]
                           I didn't even know this place existed.

VAULT KEEPER [Borgnine]
                           It doesn't !
              So yes, if you see it, you're treated to Ernest Borgnine appearing briefly in a couple of scenes.

-----more SPOILER----

It's also the 2nd movie in recent weeks (You Again came first) that shows a non-villain macho guy talking sympathetically to the unseen female lead as the angle changes to reveal she's got duct tape over her mouth and is tied up.

Comment

Seeing Red

I'll wait until this comes out as a DVD, but could you advise me if this comedy is similar to BURN AFTER READING?
                JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

If you're asking me, the answer is...superficially. In both cases, the CIA is played as the villain. In 'Burn,' it's targeting a hapless goof (Pitt); in 'Red,' a savvy veteran (Willis). 'Burn,' however, had moments of carefully crafted dry and satirical humor (it is Coen brothers after all), whereas 'Red' jumps around to different U.S. locations and wants to feel like a 'road movie'; it aimed for an in-your-face surprise visual in what seemed like every other scene. Pitt was funny at times in 'Burn' since he was playing against type. Willis played it basically straight in Red. Malkovich in 'Burn' was crazy (as in 'Red'), but came across as truly creepy and malevolent; in Red he's just silly-paranoid and much less interesting, as is the movie.

Comment

Red

Originally posted by Donreel View Post
                    If you're asking me, the answer is...superficially. In both cases, the CIA is played as the villain. In 'Burn,' it's targeting a hapless goof (Pitt); in 'Red,' a savvy veteran (Willis). 'Burn,' however, had moments of carefully crafted dry and satirical humor (it is Coen brothers after all), whereas 'Red' jumps around to different U.S. locations and wants to feel like a 'road movie'; it aimed for an in-your-face surprise visual in what seemed like every other scene. Pitt was funny at times in 'Burn' since he was playing against type. Willis played it basically straight in Red. Malkovich in 'Burn' was crazy (as in 'Red'), but came across as truly creepy and malevolent; in Red he's just silly-paranoid and much less interesting, as is the movie.
                    What I feared, and dreaded. BURN AFTER READING had too many in-jokes for my tastes, (striking me like a series of SNL skits). Thanks for the heads-up, and I'll be happier to wait for the DVD and a lack of better choices.
                    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

I just watched this, and I have to say I really liked the part where they are tracing the call Bruce Willis makes to Karl Urban. Pretty neat twist on something we've seen a lot of.

Not great, but a fun movie!

Comment

Not a very good prequel to the Warren Beatty movie.

- Bill
                        Free Script Tips:
                        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Working...
                        X