Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Based Actual Event?

I've got what might amount to a silly question.

I've written a period script that is a true story with fictional main characters. You know, my fictitious creations were plopped down right in the middle of something that really happened.

The story is 100% based on actual events, and is as thoroughly researched as if I had been writing a documentary.

I've written things before that were based on real people and actual events, so I've said something like "inspired by actual events".

But what should I call what I've done this time? Would it be fiction even though the event is factual?

Sheesh... I am clueless here.

Thanks!

PS I seem to have misplaced the word "on" in the thread title. I would fix it if I could figure out how. Sorry about that!

Re: Based Actual Event?

I could imagine a wide variety of opinion on this one. It's kind of a Forest Gump.

If the actual historical events are quite well known (Pearl Harbor, Lincoln being shot, etc) then I don't think you would need to say anything.

If the actual events are going to be more obscure to the potential Hollywood reader, then I would put a clear one or two sentence note on a page two (right after the cover/title page). Just plainly state your lead characters are not real, but some of the other characters were real people and the historic event of _______ actually happened in 1804 ... or whatever. That is just my opinion, others might have better reasons for other ways to go.

R.O.T.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
      I could imagine a wide variety of opinion on this one. It's kind of a Forest Gump.

If the actual historical events are quite well known (Pearl Harbor, Lincoln being shot, etc) then I don't think you would need to say anything.

If the actual events are going to be more obscure to the potential Hollywood reader, then I would put a clear one or two sentence note on a page two (right after the cover/title page). Just plainly state your lead characters are not real, but some of the other characters were real people and the historic event of _______ actually happened in 1804 ... or whatever. That is just my opinion, others might have better reasons for other ways to go.

R.O.T.
      Hmmm, that's a good idea. It's a notorious crime in the 1950s, on par with the Black Dahlia, and my two cops are fictional, though they interact with the real ones. It's a famous case but I would guess that not everyone would know the details. Thanks!

Comment

I'd say your typical reader is generally not going to be old enough or broadly educated enough to know a 1950s crime well enough to recognize it as he/she reads, so I'd either lay it out clearly and briefly on a second cover page or some sort of voice over or written script very, very early in the actual script. I prefer the second cover page with a few sentences about the actual event and perhaps even a specific set of words they could look up on wiki to read about the actual events.

Your script-reader and a movie ticket buyer are two different audiences...be sure not to confuse your script-reader!

Comment

Good advice, RT. I'll do just what you suggest.

Comment

I'd call it a blend of fact and fiction.
            sigpic

Comment

A fictional account of real historical events

Comment

Interesting question. Like yours though, Titanic is a story based on true events. Yes, everyone knows about the ship disaster, so I suppose adding a "...based on true events" wasn't necessary. So maybe a simple "a story based on true events" would be sufficient and beneficial.
                My first crack at a logline usually makes a great synopsis!

Comment

I would say, "Inspired by the true events of a notorious 1950s murder case in the vein of The Black Dahlia."

You don't have to specify the fictional characters interact with the real persons involved unless someone asks you to expound on it.
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                    I would say, "Inspired by the true events of a notorious 1950s murder case in the vein of The Black Dahlia."

You don't have to specify the fictional characters interact with the real persons involved unless someone asks you to expound on it.
                    This.
                    "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

That nailed it.
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                      X