Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Groups

I come from a novel writing background and in that community there were tons of in person and online writing groups. Places you can bounce ideas off of each other, find beta readers, show snippets for opinions, and just generally motivate each other.

Right now I am swimming alone in the world of script writing and was wondering if something similar to these groups were common in the industry? Where would one find them, especially if they aren't in LA?

Re: Writing Groups

yes, writing groups are common in screenwriting. maybe look on craigslist or if there is a local film festival connect with people through that?

also, our own Girl in Gray runs an online workshop that has open seats from time to time. it's a good way to trade pages and notes with other screenwriters if you're in a location where access to a group isn't available:

http://theafw.com/workshop/

Comment

My first writers group was a MeetUp group

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
        yes, writing groups are common in screenwriting. maybe look on craigslist or if there is a local film festival connect with people through that?

also, our own Girl in Gray runs an online workshop that has open seats from time to time. it's a good way to trade pages and notes with other screenwriters if you're in a location where access to a group isn't available:

http://theafw.com/workshop/
        I'm a member of this workshop and cannot recommend it enough. It's filled with incredible writers and you'll benefit a lot.

Comment

Oh man, do most groups charge?

Comment

Originally posted by TMCan View Post
            some do, some don't. it's an investment in your career

Comment

The one I'm in does, but that's because we rent out space.

Comment

I've been in two writers groups before and neither charged, mainly because we all took turns hosting in our homes. If I were to join one that rented space, I'd be more than willing to pay. Doubt I'd ever pay for an online group unless there were no other options available.

Comment

fun to share stories with old folks. education type of thing, too.

Comment

@TMCan, where are you located? I found my group here in Raleigh on a google search.
                    You can also check meetup to see if there are groups in your area. Also, the blacklist hosts mixers once a month in several major cities. Not a group per se, but a good way to network with other writers for some of the same things you'd join a group for.

Comment

Working...
                    X