Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Jonah Hex?

Anybody know what's the status on the Jonah Hex movie?
    It's supposed to open in June, but there hasn't been a trailer yet (and almost no other pics or promo's).
    I understand there've been some reshoots and I read on a moviesite that the studio isn't at all happy with it.

I was really looking forward to it, but now I smell trouble (a delay?).

Re: What's up with Jonah Hex?

Originally posted by tinman01 View Post
    Anybody know what's the status on the Jonah Hex movie?
    It's supposed to open in June, but there hasn't been a trailer yet (and almost no other pics or promo's).
    I understand there've been some reshoots and I read on a moviesite that the studio isn't at all happy with it.

I was really looking forward to it, but now I smell trouble (a delay?).

That's basically the word around. Maybe it'll be out in the fall.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

This is from Slashfilm:
      Where's Jonah Hex? We saw footage from the film at last year's Comic Con, but aside from a few reshoot reports and word of Mastodon sharing scoring duties, there's been basically nothing to report on the film since then. Few pics, no trailer. Earlier this week, as part of a rumor that suggested Lobo was dead at WB, there was a report that the studio isn't happy with the film.
      Then Vulture talked to Brent Hinds of Mastodon, and based on his description of the scoring process and one comment in particular, many read the piece as saying "the film is delayed!- Reps for the movie, meanwhile, insist that we'll see a trailer on April 29, and that it will be attached to prints of A Nightmare on Elm Street. Meanwhile, Hinds' comments are still a window into the process of finishing the film.
      Again, just to be clear, there's no reason to read the Vulture piece and assume the film won't meet the release date. Hinds is quoted saying that material he'd seen didn't look finished, but that could mean a lot of different things. But, with respect to getting the score finished, there are some good comments.
      The basics are that Hinds and Mastodon were brought in by director Jimmy Hayward to add flavor to John Powell's score. Hinds says Powell welcomed the collaboration. But when additional shoots ('overseen' by Francis Lawrence) and editing changed the schedule, Powell had to leave the project in order to honor commitments to other films.
      Mario Beltrami came in to finish the score and work with the band. But his ideas were different, and he wanted a different flavor from the material Hinds had previously written and recorded. At this point, Mastodon was on one leg of their extensive recent world tour.
      And there was no way he could connect with me: They brought all the new scenes to us, but I was on tour this entire time, so I had no time to preconceive what I wanted the movie to sound like. Being so busy ... it's hard to be creative when you're going through the same motions every day [onstage]...I totally had to go back and start over again.
      More than anything else, I hope we'll get to hear all he music Mastodon wrote and recorded, whether it ends up in the film or not. Speaking about his first sessions for the Powell score, Hinds says "I blew my wad over there. It was some of the best **** I've ever written in my life. Now I'm just trying to finish with as much patience as possible.-
      @MacBullitt

Comment

The trailer came out a few days ago and can be found here.

I read the script awhile back and didn't like it. It was a real tongue-in-cheek type of script that I don't think will translate well on film. The trailer looks crap, I hate Megan Fox and I'm not feeling Brolin as Hex.

Yep, thats how it is... another crap comic book movie.

I still have hope for Preacher.

Comment

Test screening reactions have been atrocious. Awareness has got to be zero amongst the general movie-going public. If the reviews are brutal -- and they probably will be -- it's gonna be a massive disaster upon release.

Comment

It's weird that Warner Bros responded to the success of The Dark Knight by publicly announcing their intention to put more of their comic franchises through the "dark and gritty" grinder, but then they turned around gave one of their darkest and grittiest comics a goofy Wild Wild West treatment.

Comment

Something "off" about the footage. Not what I was expected having read the script.

Comment

Directors first time doing live action shooting as well I heard lead to the complete mess that it's in.
                I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

I'm not sure what the final shooting draft is like, but the older Neveldine/Taylor draft was really a lot of fun. Plus I'm a fan of the original comic (own a few trade paperbacks). But man, that trailer... I dunno, it was kinda hard to watch. I cringed a few times.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Xnod View Post
                    I read the script awhile back and didn't like it. It was a real tongue-in-cheek type of script that I don't think will translate well on film.
                    Agreed times 12, xnod. The script was a major headache, episodic and tonally all over the place. I read four drafts and they kept getting worse, although the last I saw was Neveldine/Taylor's final try, so who knows what's happened since. All signs seem to point to disaster, though. The character has great literary potential -- Jonah Hex is a manifestation of the Civil War itself, stalking this haunted land with half his face scarred forever, destructive and vidictive, at war with himself, never to be healed. The psychological wounds of the war are turned supernatural here. The land is sick after war; that's what the story seems to be saying. Thing is, all that evocative stuff just gets thrown aside for "look, here's some cool sh!t!" and "I'ma make it go boom!"

Comment

Somehow I think this is going to be more fun.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I (unfortunately)attended a recent test screening for 'Hex' and it is worse than you might think, and what that trailer hints at.
                        Only smatterings remain from the (pretty fun) NeveldineTaylor draft. It's mostly just a meandering bore.

Also, caught a screening of this Korean/Australian Western and though pretty cornball, it was still waaay more fun:
                        http://rutube.ru/tracks/2003396.html...c9a20a8a9ea380

Comment

Didn't seem that bad to me. I mean, if anyone can swallow The Dark Knight, this doesn't seem all that much of a stretch.
                          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                            I'm not sure what the final shooting draft is like, but the older Neveldine/Taylor draft was really a lot of fun. Plus I'm a fan of the original comic (own a few trade paperbacks). But man, that trailer... I dunno, it was kinda hard to watch. I cringed a few times.
                            Yes indeed that trailer stank! Although the twin gatling guns were in the Neveldine/ Taylor draft I read they clearly also made some major changes. Somehow I don't think Megan Fox will wind up dead after somebody melds her face of with acid.....No, now we get a standard "save the girl from the bad guys and destroy the stupid looking cannon" third act. And it'll be PG-13 also....Oh NOOOOOOOO!
                            My worst fears for this have already been confirmed.

Comment

Saw the trailer last night in front of Elm Street. Megan Fox was straight up despicable. God, she is awful.
                              Ever thus to deadbeats.

Comment

Working...
                              X