This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backlash against the pros

Welcome to the internet, where you can argue or do anything and almost get away with it(well unless you're identity is known)

Comment

Five dollars to the first "Ron Swanson" triangle diagram of screenwriter awesomeness.

The small percentage of "professionals" that exist on this board naturally get their butt kissed by other writers. They have for the most part, earned that right.

INDUBITABLY... other writers come to resent that and express the same. Some of the time, they are completely correct in calling out a boast/ ill-informed statement.

It results in a flame thread and one of "professionals" doesn't come back.

Then, the board goes full circle and starts kissing "pro" butt again.

That is the nature of things on Done Deal.
      "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
        I don't understand the pushback some of the pros are getting on other threads on this site.
        I think we just like arguing. It's human.

No matter what a pro says we could always find a way to prove it is wrong.

eg:
        Pro: "Don't worry about following 'The Rules'"
        Me: "That's good - I never liked the 'Don't write the screenplay in invisible ink. I'm going to get some lemon juice now for my re-write"
        Pro: "Except that rule. That's a good rule"

Any statement, no matter how correct, is going to have an exception. And if we are feeling argumentative our minds naturally leap to the exception and focus on it.

I guess I'm just saying that we are only human. And sometimes being human sucks.

Mac
        (PS: I've even read a script where the writer gave RGB colour codes to indicated what they meant by 'a red dress'. I think they took 'Just communicate what you mean' a little too literally.)
        (PPS: It was an amateur script)
        Last edited by Mac H.; 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM.
        New blogposts:
        *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
        *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
        *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
        *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
          I just want to clarify, mariot, I gave out less than 10 'full considers' last year. And when I said that was out of 200 screenplays, it's probably closer to 300. (But don't make me do the math...)
          Furthermore, I believe you said less than 30 received a consider of any kind...

Hardly 20%.
          QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Just because it doesn't receive a consider, doesn't necessarily mean the script is terrible, though does it?

I imagine a lot of people send scripts to him they are actively developing, and actually want constrictive feedback, and they are not going to be perfect anyway.
            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
              I don't understand the pushback some of the pros are getting on other threads on this site.
              Personally, I think it's down to good old fashion ignorance.

When someone has built their craft on bad advice, crappy learning, and misconcieved knowledge, it's difficult for them to see things any other way. Especially when they've done it long enough to declare themselves "experts" in the area.

It's like teaching a kid wanting to learn how to ride a bike to peddle with his hands instead of his feet. He might be uncomfortable, can't see where he is going, wobble all over the place and not go very fast -- but let him grow up riding this way and he'll resist cycling a different way.

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post
                I hope they aren't taking anything personally.
                Yes, because I don't want them to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by spacefarer View Post
                  Welcome to DD, dude.
                  My thoughts exactly, lol.
                  The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

I think the "backlash" against the pros is what makes this message board more fun. It's a bit like weekend softballers telling Albert Pujols and Derek Jeter how to play the game.

Comment

I feel the same way. Going to hear a professional writer speak is something I like to do, but you sit back and in your head go, yes, I see, oh, that's very interesting. But, here, it's interaction INTERACTION from the guy who just started writing yesterday to the guy who makes millions screenwriting.

A little resistance from random wannabe (usually) enhances the contrast, enriches the point and drives it home like no podium speech can. I love the discourse, even when I'm random wannabe who later kicks herself in the ass.

I hope you'll learn to see the value in it, Todd Karate, and know for every contrarian poster there are scores more silently reading and standing behind your words.
                      Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post

Jeff Shurtleff posts as if he is a pro (I have no idea if that's the case). He posts that dialogue doesn't matter. How can that be left on the board to be taken at face value
                        Not a pro, meaning I have never sold anything. Have I worked directly with pros? Yes.

Again, as I just posted in another thread, I never meant to say dialogue is unimportant. IMHO, IT'S FORTH ON THE LIST BEHIND HIGH CONCEPT, MARKETABILITY, AND STRUCTURE.

If any of you are lucky enough to sit down and rewrite a script with a star, you'll see how they contribute.

They are a star for a reason.

Jeff Shurtleff
                        "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                          Just because it doesn't receive a consider, doesn't necessarily mean the script is terrible, though does it?
                          it's a B grade. what you really want is a "recommend" which is an A grade. so it's not terrible but it's not ready to go to the market either. however, this is just one person's opinion. AND it also might be a story, idea, or concept that exactly fits what a producer is looking for.

I think the "backlash" against the pros is what makes this message board more fun. It's a bit like weekend softballers telling Albert Pujols and Derek Jeter how to play the game.
                          spike tv has made an entertaining show with this exact concept. JOES vs PROS

Comment

Originally posted by belac View Post
                            I once had a discussion with someone who tried to tell me that here was no vodka in vodka sauce. Lol. That type of conversation happens a lot on donedeal.
                            For the first 30 or so years of my life, I refused all offers of coffee cake because I don't like the taste of coffee. I can't believe how much delicious cake I turned down. Why didn't someone explain it to me earlier!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post
                              For the first 30 or so years of my life, I refused all offers of coffee cake because I don't like the taste of coffee. I can't believe how much delicious cake I turned down. Why didn't someone explain it to me earlier!

This describes me and zucchini bread.
                              QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                                I just want to clarify, mariot, I gave out less than 10 'full considers' last year.
                                I'm curious, Evil, why you (and really any script consultant can chime in here) use the pass, consider, recommend system? I mean when you give a script a consider are you actually considering it for anything? I understand why it's used for studio, production company, and agency coverage because those places are actually considering either the script or the writer for...something...I'm just curious as to why the script consultants mimic it? To me a system like "needs a page one rewrite," "needs a polish," and "ready to send" would make more sense. I don't know. I'm not trying to script consultant bash - lord knows I've done my share of that over the years on this site and others. I am just genuinely curious if you're actually considering a script for something when you give it a consider.
                                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Working...
                                X