X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Backlash against the pros

Originally posted by Screenplay Savant View Post
    I'd rate the individual components (character, theme, etc.) on a excellent to poor scale. I discussed overall readiness in the body of the evaluation. The vast majority of the clients I've had were somewhat green and really didn't understand the craft yet, so they were quite a ways away from being submission ready. Therefore, my evaluations often focus as much on craft education as the problems in the script.
    Thanks. I can see how your goals would be different when evaluating real beginners.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
      It is <1%. That shouldn't be discouraging, just the truth. At the same time, the numbers are equally as difficult for actually making it in the industry on the business side.

If 200 people get internships, maybe 100 will get a job in a mailroom. Of those 100, 70 will leave the business before they are promoted. Of the 30 left, 15 will go on and get promoted. Of those 15, 10 will be let go and not be able to get a new job as an executive. Of the remaining 5, 2 will leave because they want a family and the hours are too much for them to handle.

I'm not making this up, the business is tough. You make it work on that side of the business because you love it. You do it because the drug of choice is WORK. And even of this side of the business, you won't make it if you don't have talent.

As a writer all you can do is hope you have the talent, work hard, read all you can, listen to those in the business that offer good advice, and most of all, before you write a script, please think of a good idea first. If someone sends me EAGLE EYE meets THE BREAKFAST CLUB one more time............

-Michael
      Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        I went to 53 successful working members of the WGA and asked them to share their experiences about an ongoing topic of conversation on donedeal. I'm sorry it doesn't have the statistical rigor you demand.

There really is no amount of effort that someone can expend that will preclude people from complaining about it, is there?
        I just want to say I appreciate that poll. It reinforces you're point (in another thread) about using DD to start a writers group...not to take any business away from Andrew.
        "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Originally posted by MrEarbrass View Post
          (...) there are lots of different routes. Some people go to film school. Some people intern in the industry. Some people work in a video store.

(...)

But different people have different life priorities and educate themselves in different ways... why bother focusing your fire on a service that other writers obviously find valuable?
          You make it sound as if there was choice involved.

Anybody imagine saying: "Oh, no, I won't go to film school. Too much fun. I'd rather work in a video store. It's so much better use of my time."

People often do what they do because they have no other choice. It's their story.

Screenplay consultants are failed screenwriters.

Could you imagine someone choosing: "Oh, I just turned down to write a movie for Leo DiCaprio. I'd rather numb my mind with another wanna-be's Tarantino style screenplay."

People do what they have to do, not what they want to do. If they choose to do what they want to do against all odds, then you have drama. Doesn't happen a lot in real life.
          "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

When I joined the WriterAction board, I was hoping to read insight from writers who have been in the trenches, that I would get a different perspective from the posts and opinions I get here. But that board is dominated by political babble, birthday wishes and eulogies most of the time.

Some of the pros who have posted here recently post at WA on occasion, and when they do, a lot of the time it's about craft and business. That's when I enjoy that message board. It doesn't happen much, but when it does, I always read the threads and learning a little sumthin'.

My point: If a few writers who've been around the studio block have decided to share some wisdom here at DD, I for one welcome it. People aren't always going to agree, but I think you can trust that there's nothing misleading or malicious about what they share. In the end, whether you take their advice or not, it costs you nothing.
            @StarrburyMike

Comment

Originally posted by Ulysses View Post
              Screenplay consultants are failed screenwriters.
              That may be true of some, but not all. Some consultants are professional screenwriters between paying jobs. Do you know the percentage of WGA members that are not working at any given time?

Some consultants aren't writers at all. They are often seasoned agents, managers producers, development professionals, who have been part of the Hollywood system for some time and understand what a screenplay needs to have and what quality it needs to be at in order to be marketable.

Comment

Boy, I picked a fine time to stop being a Mod.
                Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

I don't think anyone needs to throw around the "failed screenwriter" tag. Firstly, it's not cool. Secondly, until you're dead, you're still aspiring.

I think this thread has run its course. Happy to hear more from the pros regarding how best to approach this business, and tips on what, when and where, but this topic is past its due date.

See yoou at the next myths thread.
                  sigpic

Website
                  Tweets
                  Book

Comment

Working...
                  X