• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Jobs While Waiting For The Big Break in Film

Interesting, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
      I think the best job for an aspiring screenwriter is to get a job in professional writing. Copy, ghostwriting, academic writing, journalism. It also helps to absorb as much writing in all contexts as possible -- literature, screenplays, poems, news, slogans. Other good jobs include occupations where you're likely to meet interesting people, or travel to interesting places. If you're wife is great enough to let you be a stay at home dad, that can work too, if you can get some writing done in between handling the minions.
      I've been an advertising copywriter/marketing writer/ghostwriter for more years than I'll cop to.

For me, the downside is, after writing all day for clients, I just want a break from the darn keyboard.

When this is your day job, there is an upside, though.

You're not precious about your writing. You develop a really thick skin. And you also develop the ability to been as objective as a human can be about your own work.

Simply put -- you know when what you've written sucks, doesn't suck and rocks. At the same time, you're detached about it (a la, "Oh, well).
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I worked 3 days a week as a nerd for a number of years (Three 13 hour days). Allowed me to write a lot. Of course, I had a specialty. But then, the company moved my entire department to India and I had to get a real job. But it was fun while it lasted. Go nerds!

Comment

Working...
        X