Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
Filmmagician
Regular

Default With reps home now isolating - is this a great time or bad time to query?

Not sure if all the agencies and management co's are working from home, but I imagine things are slowed right now. Could be a good time to query reps with more time on their hands? But knowing no productions are happening for a while, does that hurt getting signed now?

Thanks
FM

Last edited by Filmmagician : 03-19-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Filmmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
TigerFang

Default Re: With reps home now isolating - is this a great time or bad time to query?

Of course, you are not asking whether someone will be slightly burned, but whether they might be signed, correct?
Old 03-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
Filmmagician
Regular

Default Re: With reps home now isolating - is this a great time or bad time to query?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
Of course, you are not asking whether someone will be slightly burned, but whether they might be signed, correct?
hahaha oops.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:20 PM   #4
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmagician View Post
Not sure if all the agencies and management co's are working from home, but I imagine things are slowed right now. Could be a good time to query reps with more time on their hands? But knowing no productions are happening for a while, does that hurt getting signed now?

Thanks
FM
I think this might be a good time to write and a really bad time to query.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:30 AM   #5
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
Yuuup! (California's unemployment rate is going to go from zero to Great Depression practically overnight)

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/03/1...0000-in-a-day/
JoeBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
Filmmagician
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
Ah, okay. I'm definitely getting more writing done. So it's wise to wait until we're back to status quo before approaching any reps?
Old 03-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
catcon

I did a substantial query blitz this week (to familiar producers only, see http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=85436).

The new version of the query (more a marketing email than a standard pitch) was tidier than the draft that you see there, and included links to each title on Amazon.com. The effort generated more website hits than I've ever had for any prior effort on email. That's not counting hits that surely went directly to the eBooks, which Amazon doesn't reveal to me. But at least it meant that people were reading the email, even though as was posted here there won't be any money spent on options till this is over.

Well, I didn't expect that, only that they may very well be open to reading new stuff (after they catch up with their existing piles).

However, even "I" am going to lay off email for a while - which is saying a lot, since querying is all I do and can afford.

I have enough existing scripts to polish. I like to do each, annually, and I have a few at 12-15 months due, now.

Polishes are ALWAYS worthwhile. A single typo? The whole exercise is worthwhile. Shorten a script by a page or two? It's worthwhile. A better way to word something? Worthwhile.

But the best thing? After I'm done a lot of polishing, it'll have been several days (or weeks, maybe, in this case) since I did a query blitz, which presents a lot of delicious opportunities to pitch these fresh/new versions to new contacts.

Well, that's the plan.

Good luck to all!
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
muckraker

I really think people need to divorce themselves from this idea of a good or bad time to query. It's all just conjecture and baloney. The strength of your logline and your script are what matters a lot more than whether or not the moon is in the house of Venus, or whatever...
muckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:17 PM   #9
Cyfress

In 6 months I bet there will be a strong spec market with a lot of great writers sitting home with nothing to do but write.
Cyfress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
lostfootage

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckraker View Post
I really think people need to divorce themselves from this idea of a good or bad time to query. It's all just conjecture and baloney. The strength of your logline and your script are what matters a lot more than whether or not the moon is in the house of Venus, or whatever...
Agree. Goes back to the chestnut from Christopher Lockhart: "Calculate less."

EDIT: It's Brian Koppelman who said this. I was wrong. Correcting my post.

Last edited by lostfootage : 03-26-2020 at 04:38 PM.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote