Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
Bono

Default The Last 10 Days

What have you done the past 10 days in terms of actual screenwriting?

We talk a lot of craft and business and everything -- but we rarely just share what the real versions of us are doing off this board.

Because I hope after all the posts and threads -- we are all writing or querying or reading scripts -- not just talking about a business we aren't doing.

A pro writer friend of mine told me once -- I'm not a better writer than you -- I just write more than you do and consistently. In other words a pro isn't just someone that gets paid to do it. They do the work always not just once in a blue moon. It was great advice.

BONO 10 DAYS RECAP

-- I wrote a TV pilot in 7 days or so. It came to me, it came out of me.

-- I'm rewriting my feature spec with my rep for the 3rd or 4th time now. But it keeps getting better. Dialogue pass.

-- I read a new friend's script and gave notes. She's super talented, glad to have met her.

-- Been emailing a few friends going back and forth on giving thoughts on their ideas.

-- Pitching new ideas to write to rep and others.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
TigerFang

Default Re: The Last 10 Days

TigerFang 10-day Recap:

-- Polished my limited series TV pilot original spec and corrected its typos.

-- Polished a Public Domain feature to enter in 2 contests; after the umpteenth review and edit today, copyright registration happens tomorrow (“umpteen” sounds like a big number, but it’s still only in the ’teens).

-- Read more chapters of a book about one woman’s experiences during a brief period in World War II; to date, I’ve read four books on the same subject as part of the research for a novella.

-- Cultivated rights and permissions for historical photographs from a university library collection for a novella.

-- Continued with online Master Class videos; courses taken already: Shonda Rhimes, Margaret Atwood, Joyce Carol Oates, and Neil Gaiman. Next up: David Mamet, then others. Say what you will about these “courses,” but IMO, it’s worth listening to what these eminent authors have to say about their craft.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
Bono

Great work, Tiger! Glad someone is writing!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
DDoc
Regular

I drank heavily, suffered from a fit of delirium tremens, and wound up in the hospital.

Just kidding...The Austin deadline is Monday so I've been trying to get my most recent script ready. Made quarters with one last year and I'd like to get to the semis this year. Anyway, I've gone back through a bunch of my prep notes, outlines, bios, Truby formula stuff, etc. Also finished all the books relevant to the story except for one. After this weekend I'll probably sit on it for a while and just read.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
DDoc
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
TigerFang 10-day Recap:

-- Polished my limited series TV pilot original spec and corrected its typos.

-- Polished a Public Domain feature to enter in 2 contests; after the umpteenth review and edit today, copyright registration happens tomorrow (“umpteen” sounds like a big number, but it’s still only in the ’teens).

-- Read more chapters of a book about one woman’s experiences during a brief period in World War II; to date, I’ve read four books on the same subject as part of the research for a novella.

-- Cultivated rights and permissions for historical photographs from a university library collection for a novella.

-- Continued with online Master Class videos; courses taken already: Shonda Rhimes, Margaret Atwood, Joyce Carol Oates, and Neil Gaiman. Next up: David Mamet, then others. Say what you will about these “courses,” but IMO, it’s worth listening to what these eminent authors have to say about their craft.
Do you have to pay for all those master classes?
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
dpaterso

HMMM. No screenwriting, as such (for a long time, not just the last 10 days). Added words to three prose stories, one Sci-Fi, two paranormals, I thought they'd be done around 30k words or thereabouts but they all want to be longer, dammit. Also did a few webcomic updates, which is like screenwriting and storyboarding at the same time, something different. Who knows what might get adapted into a screenplay? Everybody needs a fun hobby.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
fallenangel
User

Fallen - Last 10.

- bought FadeIn software
- started punching in SLUG LINES for feature length outline I've been creating for past 2 years.
- started filling in scene description for each scene.
- been dabbling with dialogue for a few scenes.
- In parallel, started writing a short that represents the feature length story.

Next 20 days.
- Complete script skeleton with SLUG LINES and Description.
- Complete Short v0.1.
- Start writing ACTION and DIALOGUE.

Next 90 days.
- Finish first feature draft.
- Finish short final version.

2021 Summer.
- Finish final script (after notes, feed backs etc.)
- Produce short. Submit to festivals.
- Start sending out feature script.

2021 Fall.
- Start kick-starter to raise funds for feature.

--fallen
fallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
JoeBanks

Finished a rom-com spec that i've been working on for [censored] years. Final polish this weekend for AFF and Black List submissions
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
Bono

All good stuff.

JoeBanks -- what made you finish it now? I'm always curious why writers don't finish things -- I have plenty of reasons. I used to finish everything I wrote no matter how bad. Then I got a rep... and oh boy, so many dead Act One's of great ideas sit in a folder on my desktop...
Old 05-28-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
RogerOThornhill

Mostly just thinking.

I have a client in mind for a 25-30 minute film...the client is of course unaware that he will be a client...but I think if I can make the concept work he'll eventually buy.

To make the concept work, I need to give an object not only a personality, but I'm trying to give the object a character arc. And thus the thinking phase continues. I can dress up the object and suggest some mood lighting for a little personality, but the rest I need to do by sound, function and interaction with the humans around it.

Perhaps the object doesn't quite get a character arc, but the way it is used and treated might change. It's a little obtuse yet, so I'm not really writing anything yet, just pondering the set-up.
RogerOThornhill is offline   Reply With Quote