Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 06:58 AM   #51
Crayon
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 777
Default Re: The Last 10 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I give up Crayon. I don't know what your point is in all this other than to give me a headache and avoid posting actual work YOU ARE DOING in the 'What are you doing?" thread. Do you have a point? It just sounds like to me you're trying to insult my friend in some way. Or me. I'm trying to figure out the reasoning behind all this. I got nothing.

You took advice that helped me (again it was just a throwaway line based off memory of something in an email not a term paper) and put way too much into what I said my friend told me in an email to help me. My friends ability as a writer has nothing to do with this at all.

Basically the advice was "you can do it." Some writers around here dissect every single word of threads like it's some puzzle to solve. It was just encouraging words -- not a UFO video.

If you ask me my writer friend is a much better writer than me. But it's the same advice I give writers who are worse than me when I read work that I think is good -- "Keep on writing."

It doesn't matter what the other writer's talent is -- it's the point of telling me to finish work and not just think about writing. That simple.

You beat the horse to death. And killed it. And cooked it. And ate it. Then asked -- why does the horse taste so delicious over and over -- he just does okay????!!!
Bono - I don't have a point - I've simply highlighted a point that's within what you said your pro-writer friend told you. It's right there, in black and white, in your original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
A pro writer friend of mine told me once -- I'm not a better writer than you -- I just write more than you do and consistently.
Do you really not see it? Your friend said that they write more than you do and consistently - and they also said that they are not a better writer than you - therefore, with basic logic, it can be concluded that: consistently writing significantly more than another writer will not necessarily make one a better writer than that other writer.

It may not be the point that your friend wanted to make, and it may not be a point that you want to hear, but, nonetheless, there it is.

I'm sorry if it upsets you, or you take offence from it, or you find it an unwanted distraction, but it's a somewhat remarkable point, not least in how it contradicts conventional wisdom, and therefore it's worth highlighting.

However, it does not have to be believed.
__________________

Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not one word what I write.

"The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde
Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:01 AM   #52
Crayon
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 777
Default Re: The Last 10 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoc View Post
My theory is that he's salty about about your response in the Agent Orange thread. Simple as that, but what do I know? I don't care either way. I guess we needed more conflict to keep this story interesting.
DDoc - Is 'salty' a lightweight Americanism for 'spiteful'? It's curious that you would think that. Is your 'simple' assumption based upon some prejudice, or upon an assumption that I'm sulking in silence elsewhere?

I've no problem with any of the comments in my Code Orange logline thread. I've written appreciative replies to every one of them, but was waiting for the Carnage logline thread to quieten, and other distractions to end, before posting them.
__________________

Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not one word what I write.

"The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde
Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #53
figment
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 979
Default Re: The Last 10 Days

OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayon View Post
DDoc - Is 'salty' a lightweight Americanism for 'spiteful'?
Do they have the expression "You're a dick" in the UK?

I've always wondered that.


Back on topic:

For the last ten days I've been doing lots of polishing of my last script.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #54
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,331
Default Re: The Last 10 Days

I think Crayon you should change your name to Highlighter because that describes your style way more on this board.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #55
Crayon
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 777
Default Re: The Last 10 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Do they have the expression "You're a dick" in the UK?

I've always wondered that.
Yes, but in the UK we also say: "You're a Team American!".
__________________

Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not one word what I write.

"The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Crayon : 06-01-2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: politeness
Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #56
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,331
Default Re: The Last 10 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayon View Post
Yes, but in the UK we also say: "You're a Team American!".

Reason: politeness


That is the funniest thing I've ever read on this board. Except all my stuff which is just delightful.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #57
lostfootage
Member
 
lostfootage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 516
Default Re: The Last 10 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
OT:



Do they have the expression "You're a dick" in the UK?

I've always wondered that.


Back on topic:

For the last ten days I've been doing lots of polishing of my last script.
I always thought the preferred term for that was 'wanker.'
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #58
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,331
Default Re: The Last 10 Days

Anyway, it was fun being back for a bit (like dropping into an ER like show that you used to be on for a 6-7 episode arc in Season 22) -- but see you next time boys and girls.

There are just too few of us to get anything meaningful done it seems.

I clicked on some old posts and I'm like man i miss him, her and them.

I miss a lot of things from the past... like being happy and trips to Barnes and Noble.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #59
TigerFang
Member
 
TigerFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,521
Default Re: The Last 10 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Today I got Wendy’s for first time in 2 months and almost finished my rewrite.
Subtext: Eat more often at Wendy’s™ = almost finish more rewrites.
__________________
“We should not write so that it is possible for the reader to understand us, but so that it is impossible for (the reader) to misunderstand us.”
― Quintilian

Last edited by TigerFang : 06-02-2020 at 03:56 PM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #60
DDoc
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 246
Default Re: The Last 10 Days

I heard Wendy's is only serving soy patties now. Is this true? I like Wendy's but I don't want to grow manboobs.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker