Why are producers interested in paying me?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are producers interested in paying me?

I have an article I'm pitching. I have the rights. (It's not that quick and easy but someone who would be attached as an EP does) I'm pitching to big places with studio deals and to reputable independent guys. Each place I've pitched to it is a situation where it would be paid, not on spec. A couple of the smaller ones would be partnered up to get it close-ish to scale. I was under the impression this didn't exist all that much. Am I wrong? I know folks like, say, a Thunder Road put significant money toward development. But years of reading the archives here made this seem to not be widespread. Thanks!

Re: Why are producers interested in paying me?

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
    I have an article I'm pitching. I have the rights. (It's not that quick and easy but someone who would be attached as an EP does) I'm pitching to big places with studio deals and to reputable independent guys. Each place I've pitched to it is a situation where it would be paid, not on spec. A couple of the smaller ones would be partnered up to get it close-ish to scale. I was under the impression this didn't exist all that much. Am I wrong? I know folks like, say, a Thunder Road put significant money toward development. But years of reading the archives here made this seem to not be widespread. Thanks!

Could you clarify your question? If you reread your post, maybe you see why I ask.

Regardless, good luck with the project.

Comment

Yes, this is a confusing question. Even your title is a head scratcher.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
        Could you clarify your question? If you reread your post, maybe you see why I ask.

Regardless, good luck with the project.
        I reread it several times before posting. And again now. So apologies for lack of clarity.

I was under the impression this didn't happen often (based on writer friends conversations and the archives here, mostly) but it seems...it does? My assumption was we'd (a producer and myself) would take it to studios or other financing entities and get it set up and THEN I'd get paid to write it. Under this scenario I'm getting paid from a production entity to adapt this article. I did not think this was ubiquitous. I'm certainly excited if I'm wrong.

Comment

Let me ask you this first before I note anything...

What has this EP done before? You don't have to name titles but how many films? What size budgets?

Also, HAVE you actually pitched this yet, or is this EP simply saying he or she thinks it will be easy? And if you have pitched it some already, have you seen any actual agreements/contracts yet? Payment amounts and schedules? Etc.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
            Let me ask you this first before I note anything...

What has this EP done before? You don't have to name titles but how many films? What size budgets?

Also, HAVE you actually pitched this yet, or is this EP simply saying he or she thinks it will be easy? And if you have pitched it some already, have you seen any actual agreements/contracts yet? Payment amounts and schedules? Etc.
            He has big recent success with a tonally adjacent and similarly sourced piece of IP.

I've pitched. Four places keen to move forward and the EP is figuring out the best path. The proof will be in the offer obviously but we were clear with the EP (who is in no way full of sh*t) that I'm not writing for free. (Even though I'm a wimp and I'd write for free) He says I won't be writing for free. I just didn't think this was a thing.

Comment

I gotcha. If you are pitching to studios and fairly sizeable companies, then they are going to pay. Sure. It's really the low level to nobody producers who try to get everything for cheap to free.

Now that doesn't mean they are going to offer you a mid-six figure deal. If they are WGA signatories and you have no quote to base any payment request on, then they could pay you the minimum, etc.

Studios and companies aren't throwing around the money they used to, but writers do get paid. Also, you control the IP so if it's a story they like, then paying you to write a draft so they can then control the IP is not that big of a deal for them. It's very possible they fire you after the first draft and bring in someone else to rewrite it. They pay you as little as possible, then pay a much higher fee to some A-list writer to rewrite or write the script they ultimately go with. Not to be depressing, but that happens.

If it works out, great for ya. As you wisely noted, yes, the proof is in the offer. I'd wait to see deal points, payments, etc. first. Believe all when the check cashes.
              Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 06-20-2019, 07:28 AM.
              Will
              Done Deal Pro
              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

if you own the rights to the article, and you know you have interest in the project why wouldn't you retain the screenplay rights and write it on spec?

that's not the same as writing for free b/c you retain the screenplay rights, not the producer or studio. seems to me the payoff (option or outright sale) would put you in a better negotiating position if you retain the IP as long as possible.

i mean, how quickly could you write your first draft? under a month? seems a small sacrifice to me to have more control later, no? then you could negotiate a two step and polish. first right of refusal on rewrites or spin offs. you know, all that other stuff.

what am i missing?
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  if you own the rights to the article, and you know you have interest in the project why wouldn't you retain the screenplay rights and write it on spec?

that's not the same as writing for free b/c you retain the screenplay rights, not the producer or studio. seems to me the payoff (option or outright sale) would put you in a better negotiating position if you retain the IP as long as possible.

i mean, how quickly could you write your first draft? under a month? seems a small sacrifice to me to have more control later, no? then you could negotiate a two step and polish. first right of refusal on rewrites or spin offs. you know, all that other stuff.

what am i missing?
                  It feels too cute by half, to be honest. To be clear, I don't own the rights. The EP is acting as IP broker. Under your scenario I'm writing it on spec and we have a usable draft in six to eight weeks. Then we're going to actresses. (There is interest from two B+ listers but that can take forever, obviously) Then we're taking to buyers. And...who knows?

Under this scenario I'm taking dev fund money for something close to scale. Which offers some level of certainty.

Comment

It feels too cute by half, to be honest. To be clear, I don't own the rights. The EP is acting as IP broker. Under your scenario I'm writing it on spec and we have a usable draft in six to eight weeks. Then we're going to actresses. (There is interest from two B+ listers but that can take forever, obviously) Then we're taking to buyers. And...who knows?

Under this scenario I'm taking dev fund money for something close to scale. Which offers some level of certainty.
                    Is this a feature? If so, this isn't unusual at all. There are lots and lots of places that finance feature development (especially if you're talking about scale deals). It's in TV that a non-studio financing development would be odd.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
                      Is this a feature? If so, this isn't unusual at all. There are lots and lots of places that finance feature development (especially if you're talking about scale deals). It's in TV that a non-studio financing development would be odd.
                      Yes, feature.

Thank you, that is helpful. I was unsure of how prevalent it was.

Comment

ah ha, i misunderstood the situation. but good luck with it!
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                        X