Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee shop meeting etiquette

So let's say you have four one-hour meetings scheduled back-to-back at the same coffee place (in this case, Alfred's in Melrose Place).

In order to be fair to the establishment, do you order one beverage (or other item) per hour, or is a single latte enough to let you hog a table for the duration?

Also, I assume it's appropriate to offer to buy a drink for the person you're meeting with?
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Coffee shop meeting etiquette

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    So let's say you have four one-hour meetings scheduled back-to-back at the same coffee place (in this case, Alfred's in Melrose Place).

In order to be fair to the establishment, do you order one beverage (or other item) per hour, or is a single latte enough to let you hog a table for the duration?

Also, I assume it's appropriate to offer to buy a drink for the person you're meeting with?
    You obviously don't know coffee shops in LA. People sit there all day with a glass of water.

One drink is fine. Probably a large so you can nurse it.

And anyway the people you're meeting will be buying a drink. You can offer to buy it for them, that's nice. But really they should be buying you one!

Comment

I think it's less about how much you order and more how much you tip. The owners are the ones who are going to give you sideways glances for sitting there all day. It's the baristas.

Comment

Pretty sure the correct protocol is to buy coffees and scones for everyone in the place. Sandwiches during lunch. Flip the script on the deadbeat writer cliche.

Comment

I don't think it's a matter of "knowing the shops in LA" or not -- it's a matter of doing the right thing. I think any customer using an establishments facilities and taking up a table owe it to the establishment to be respectful and "play fair."

I don't know the establishment, don't know how busy it is or if it's a place where there's normally a wait for a table, but I think it's reasonable for the owners to expect you to buy something at least once an hour or so -- coffee, a dessert, etc. Again, you don't have too, but it's the right thing to do.
          If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
          Dave Barry

Comment

I would not nurse one drink for the whole time.

Comment

Clearly you understand that it isn't fair to the coffee shop to tie up their table for such a lengthly period of time without cosideration. I would talk to the manager and let them know what you're doing and ask them what they think would be fair-- golden rule and all that, you know? They are a business after all.

BTW, good luck with the meetings.
              FA4
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I'd be more worried about one of the meetings going long and running into the next person rather than how many drinks to order.

Comment

I'm kind of amazed a grown up in the writing business even has to ask a question like this.

Comment

I know, right?

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                      I'm kind of amazed a grown up in the writing business even has to ask a question like this.
                      Not sure why her question needed to be met with such disdain, big shot.
                      https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Originally posted by mrjonesprods View Post
                        Not sure why her question needed to be met with such disdain, big shot.
                        Sorry. First of all, I'm definitely not a big shot. Not even close. If I came across that way, I apologize. Secondly, no disdain meant. It was the first question that popped into my head when I read the post. If you, as a writer, are meeting for business purposes in public place and have to ask for guidance on something as logical as how to treat the establishment you're using and whether or not to buy a four dollar coffee for people who are making the time to meet you, it says something. That's all. My opinion.

Comment

Sorry. First of all, I'm definitely not a big shot. Not even close. If I came across that way, I apologize. Secondly, no disdain meant. It was the first question that popped into my head when I read the post. If you, as a writer, are meeting for business purposes in public place and have to ask for guidance on something as logical as how to treat the establishment you're using and whether or not to buy a four dollar coffee for people who I are making the time to meet you, it says something. That's all. My opinion.
                          No harm, no foul, but I would say this. It's customary for the person who requested the meeting to buy - regardless of the cost. I also don't see it as them making time for you, I see it as you making time for them - unless you specifically are asking someone to sit down with you to pick their brain. Also, I thought docgonzo brought up a solid point. Sounds like it could be a scheduling nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by mrjonesprods View Post
                            No harm, no foul, but I would say this. It's customary for the person who requested the meeting to buy - regardless of the cost. I also don't see it as them making time for you, I see it as you making time for them - unless you specifically are asking someone to sit down with you to pick their brain. Also, I thought docgonzo brought up a solid point. Sounds like it could be a scheduling nightmare.
                            And, I might add, that I am a lifelong SF Giants fan. Pretty good evening, wasn't it?

Comment

And, I might add, that I am a lifelong SF Giants fan. Pretty good evening, wasn't it?
                              Not bad. Not bad at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X