Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comedy Specs

Last time I was in the game, all I heard was that comedy ideas had to be GROUNDED not BROAD.

40 Year Old Virgin (grounded) vs Step Brothers (broad).

But rules don't always apply to the comedy starts who get movies greenlight.

Just curious if anything has changed. Where do movies like GOOD BOYS, HORRIBLE BOSSES, GAME NIGHT, TAG fit in?

They all seem "grounded" but over the top.

I don't know if there are many comedy people left on the board, but we have lurkers, so maybe they will chime in... it seems everyone else is writing sci-fi thrillers...

Re: Comedy Specs

I don't know how comedy is in features right now, but you do still seem a lot of comedy pilots being ordered and doing well. Usually, it's relatable characters or situations. Even the ones that are in the more fantasy element comedy like A Good Place, there's something very grounded about what they have to deal with.

Here was a list of the hot and less known comedy shows 2018.

https://www.tv-calling.com/comedy-sp...d-what-is-not/

Comment

Agreed. So...

Question: Have you ever written a pilot or thought about doing something in TV?
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

My current thing is a pilot and I've written others and I love TV. Or was that for Friday?

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          My current thing is a pilot and I've written others and I love TV. Or was that for Friday?
          No, for you. I didn't know if you'd considered TV.

Comment

Yes sir. I could write an episode of TV everyday no problem. I'm not joking. I wrote my specs back in the day so quickly and they all did well in contests. I'm made to write for TV. I mean I spend 95% of my life watching it and quoting it in real life, so I should be doing that.

My age and my east coast status makes it harder to dream of a staff job unless it's in NYC area like some Tina Fey shows have been...

But maybe a nice streaming TV show could work as I think they shoot some of those like they do films... write all the scripts first... shoot fast...

Comment

Yes sir. I could write an episode of TV everyday no problem. I'm not joking. I wrote my specs back in the day so quickly and they all did well in contests. I'm made to write for TV. I mean I spend 95% of my life watching it and quoting it in real life, so I should be doing that.

My age and my east coast status makes it harder to dream of a staff job unless it's in NYC area like some Tina Fey shows have been...

But maybe a nice streaming TV show could work as I think they shoot some of those like they do films... write all the scripts first... shoot fast...

Yup... may be a direction to aim. Submit your thing. If set a bunch'a meetings. Slam them out in a week-ish. Move out here if you get staffed.

I never wanted to aim at TV, I was kinda pushed this direction several times. Like on the last one, wrote it as a feature. We discussed me attaching to direct it on outline phase, manager was down to send it out with me attached to direct. Then, once he read the script, he suggested I write it as a TV show. So, now I'm back in TV land.

And the new (Tweet) thing is also TV. Although, I think it should be a limited series (6 episodes). But, that's a space kinda reserved for the big players because of marketing costs. Fukkin nutz what they get to do.

Comment

First, I got the family, so I'm not changing our entire lives to get staffed on TV that could last a month. That's just the facts. Now if it's MY SHOW and I created it, well I'll see what I can work out. I won't worry about it until it happens -- why bother. It's a good problem to have. I'll have to start a TV thread...

Anyway -- your tweeter meeting -- I understand it may be based on one thing, but maybe you should have something else to pitch him/her. Just saying, unsure what's really going on there, but maybe you can spin it so you don't have to blow up your entire life and (**his/hers***) to make it. Do your reps even know?

Comment

it seems everyone else is writing sci-fi thrillers...
                  Um, excuse me... "Skunkman," "You Got The Look," etc. 'Nough said.

Comment

I like how Joe posts now once a month to keep his DD health insurance.

Comment

I like how Joe posts now once a month to keep his DD health insurance.
                      HA!

Comment

I don't have a lot of time for these boards lately, but I write comedy among other things and from I am hearing nothing has changed from you have heard. I read for an agency as well and that's mostly what I see when asked to do coverage.

It still is all about high concept though, just the kind that doesn't come across as so much FREAKY FRIDAY or anything but seems plausible and so the story remains fairly grounded.

Comment

Thanks.

I get it, but also I think comedy writers should write what makes them laugh. Because I try to write for them and it doesn't seem to work. I wrote for myself and it did.

what a weird mandate. DON'T BE AS FUNNY AS YOU CAN BE, THANKS COMEDY WRITERS.

Comment

Last time I was in the game, all I heard was that comedy ideas had to be GROUNDED not BROAD.

40 Year Old Virgin (grounded) vs Step Brothers (broad).

But rules don't always apply to the comedy starts who get movies greenlight.

Just curious if anything has changed. Where do movies like GOOD BOYS, HORRIBLE BOSSES, GAME NIGHT, TAG fit in?

They all seem "grounded" but over the top.

I don't know if there are many comedy people left on the board, but we have lurkers, so maybe they will chime in... it seems everyone else is writing sci-fi thrillers...
                            Has anything changed in 2021????

Comment

In the last two & half years, I've listed over 330 deals that were Comedies. The vast majority of those were Comedy Drama, Romantic Comedy, Horror Comedy, Sci-Fi Comedy, etc. Some combo of genres. Very, very few, were just comedies, like back in the day. Some were based on "real life" stuff, some were based on IP, some were remakes, etc.

So seemingly more on the grounded side than broad in most cases. If you are writing something broad, then you'd probably need to focus more on streamers or companies that work with them to see if they would be interested.
                              Will
                              Done Deal Pro
                              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                              X