Doubler's ScriptFever Writing Exercise (Revisited -- Again)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubler's ScriptFever Writing Exercise (Revisited -- Again)

I am having a great run of late. I directed my first feature, from a script that I wrote, and on a budget that someone else paid for. We are in post-production with edited footage coming in all the time.

I have also just sold a spec feature to an small Indie company. I am in the middle of working with the director on the rewrites that he wants so he will be able to film this sucker. It looks like filming will take place this year.

All of this has left little time for actual writing. I haven't written an original spec for about a year. I fear that if I don't get my original hat back on, I'm going to forget how to start a script from scratch.

So I want to revisit Doubler's ScriptFever Writing Exercise so I can get another spec script completed and perhaps motivate you guys who need some motivation. I did this last year and it turned out well. A got a spec script written in one month.

I am thinking that the exercise will Start on Aug 1st to midnight Aug 31st. This will give us a full 31 days (one more day than Doubler's original) to complete a script.

The rules as Doubler developed are as follows:

1. 31 days (Midnight August 1st - Midnight August 31st) to write a script from scratch. 90 page minimum in any genre of your choice. No set subject or theme. Write whatever you want.

2. All we ask is that participants are willing to post a logline for their script at the end of the exercise. It's not a 100% requirement, but it would certainly be appreciated. I've decided that this will not even be a request. Ignore the logline request.

3. No prizes at the end of it, but you can celebrate the fact that you've written a brand new screenplay in 31 days. A great accomplishment. BUT... if anyone out there wants to donate any prizes let me know. I am sure I can figure out a way to determine if someone has completed their script... I think.

4. So start on outlining scripts (if you are into that type of thing) for the August 1st start date. You have 1.5 months to get motivated.

Who is with me?

cmmora
    Last edited by cmmora; 06-22-2013, 09:29 AM.
    Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Re: Doubler's ScriptFever Writing Exercise (Revisited -- Again)

In!
    The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by zenplato View Post
      In!
      Awesome. Welcome aboard.
      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

Comment

I don't think I'm up for the exercise (great idea, though) but well done on your success. Many writers will find it very motivating.
        "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

So, just a deadline, right?
          I'm in.
          Here's to deadlines.

Comment

Originally posted by -jam- View Post
            So, just a deadline, right?
            I'm in.
            Here's to deadlines.
            Deadline -- Yes. Welcome -Jam-

Thanks, David.

Comment

I have no idea if I'm in or not 'cause I'm usually out, but congratulations on the recent successes, cmmora.

(Wait. Did Zen just say he was in? That &^!@#!@$!!. Sandbagging all this time.)

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
                I have no idea if I'm in or not 'cause I'm usually out, but congratulations on the recent successes, cmmora.
                Thanks, Rich. Hope you join the madness...

Comment

I have updated the rules. Take out rule #2. I will not be asking for loglines. Just your assurance that you completed your script in the time allotted. And not just dusted off a script from your hard drive. Which I wouldn't even know why one would bother saying they competed a script, when they haven't.

Comment

I'm sort of in...but only because I've got to get back to writing now that a vacation and other life stuff is out of the way. So, I'm in, but I plan on starting early because my outline is already complete.

Good luck to everyone. A 3 page average is what I always tell people with full-time jobs, kids, etc. to shoot for. Starting and finishing a script in 30 days is very doable...although I personally need a completed outline first.
                    On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Well, I got a spec done last year, and I'm due to start another so - count me in!

I'm outlining it now so August will work well for me.

Thanks again.

Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Earth View Post
                        I'm sort of in...but only because I've got to get back to writing now that a vacation and other life stuff is out of the way. So, I'm in, but I plan on starting early because my outline is already complete.

Good luck to everyone. A 3 page average is what I always tell people with full-time jobs, kids, etc. to shoot for. Starting and finishing a script in 30 days is very doable...although I personally need a completed outline first.
                        Cool, welcome Mr. Earth. No worries about starting early. Whatever gets you to write a feature is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenShoe View Post
                          Well, I got a spec done last year, and I'm due to start another so - count me in!

I'm outlining it now so August will work well for me.

Thanks again.

Karen
                          Awesome...

Comment

Sincerest congratulations to you, cmmora, for things going so well for you. Me, I'm having a completely sucky year.

But I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by Architeuthis Dux View Post
                              Sincerest congratulations to you, cmmora, for things going so well for you. Me, I'm having a completely sucky year.

But I'm in.
                              Thanks, and... Welcome aboard. Hopefully your year starts anew right now...

Comment

Working...
                              X