Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Wise
User

Default How do you know which production company to send to?

Aside from the films they have produced (giving you a general idea of their films), how do you know who to send what to?

I've read some individuals post they've sent queries to 20-30 different prod. companies.

I've had my script reviewed after multiple drafts and feel it's ready to be sent out.

My question, how did you know which production companies to send it to? I mean I have 2-3 that come to mind, while others have a vast amount they send to. Is there a public site (aside from the IMDB where you pay) that provides info to specific prod. companies and their genre of choice?

Kind regards,

Wise

Last edited by Wise : 11-13-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
mgwriter

Default Re: How do you know which production company to send to?

I'd start with the 2-3 companies and see what happens from there. The shotgun method (sending a ton of queries) is not always the best approach depending on your project. Always been a fan of a more targeted approach when querying.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Aside from the films they have produced (giving you a general idea of their films), how do you know who to send what to?

I've read some individuals post they've sent queries to 20-30 different prod. companies.

I've had my script reviewed after multiple drafts and feel it's ready to be sent out.

My question, how did you know which production companies to send it to? I mean I have 2-3 that come to mind, while others have a vast amount they send to. Is there a public site (aside from the IMDB where you pay) that provides info to specific prod. companies and their genre of choice?

Kind regards,

Wise
mgwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
UpandComing

Quote:

Kind regards,

Wise
My first stop is usually Virtual Pitchfest's list; it has the most detailed listing of prodcos' needs I've seen: http://virtualpitchfest.com/ourpros/

If you sign up for a free account, the search by genre becomes easier.

You can also make a one-time investment and purchase the Hollywood Screenwriting Directory, which identifies companies needs and specifies which ones accept material from unrepresented writers:

http://www.writersstore.com/hollywoo...riptjvb-review
Old 11-15-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Wise
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandComing View Post
My first stop is usually Virtual Pitchfest's list; it has the most detailed listing of prodcos' needs I've seen: http://virtualpitchfest.com/ourpros/

You can also make a one-time investment and purchase the Hollywood Screenwriting Directory, which identifies companies needs and specifies which ones accept material from unrepresented writers:

Thank you.

Do you recommend the latter? Also, what do you think of Imdb Pro?
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
UpandComing

Quote:
Thank you.

Do you recommend the latter? Also, what do you think of Imdb Pro?
I think VPF has a slight edge because it identifies the specific people you can pitch to (when you sign up for a free account) and it lists more companies. The Hollywood Screenwriting Directory is more "nice-to-have"; I haven't actually used it yet, but probably will look through it soon to see if there are places I've missed that would be good to contact.

As for IMDB Pro, it's very useful. Usually after I narrow down to a list of companies from VPF, I'll head over to IMDB Pro and check their profiles. The site allows you to sort the films they've produced by genre, giving you a sense of which ones they favor most. It also often has contact information for specific individuals. But if you want to save money, you can always check the companies' websites, which typically list their filmographies and often provide an e-mail/form at which you can submit queries.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
Danigirl
User

Quote:

So helpful. Thank you.
Danigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
Danigirl
User

Quote:

Has anyone here pitched through the vpf website? Anyone ever have any success with it? Do they really follow through when it comes to giving responses?
Old 09-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #8
UpandComing

No problem, Danigirl!

I've pitched dozens of times through VPF. The pros on the site are required to get back to you within five days, which they always do. If they're excited about your pitch you could hear back really quickly (like, within the hour). They usually just give you an e-mail to send the script to, or to contact them with so they can send you a release form.

I usually get a 10% read request rate with each campaign (which I think is about normal). The important think is targeting your requests really well so you don't waste your money ($10 a pop certainly ain't cheap).
Old 09-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #9
Danigirl
User

Quote:
No problem, Danigirl!

I've pitched dozens of times through VPF. The pros on the site are required to get back to you within five days, which they always do. If they're excited about your pitch you could hear back really quickly (like, within the hour). They usually just give you an e-mail to send the script to, or to contact them with so they can send you a release form.

I usually get a 10% read request rate with each campaign (which I think is about normal). The important think is targeting your requests really well so you don't waste your money ($10 a pop certainly ain't cheap).
Ok great. Just wanted to make sure before spending the money. I'm going to give it a whirl and see how it goes.

You just saved me a hell of a lot of time. Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
BurOak

Quote:
No problem, Danigirl!

Still cheaper than the $40-50 pitches on some other sites.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote