Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having problems

First, I'm not too sure if this belongs here or not, if it doesn't could the mods move it to the right place?

I am wondering how old is too old? I'm 28 years old right now and I have been going at this for about the last 7 years. I have had little nibbles here and there, which to me is better then nothing.

But, I do wonder is 28 years old getting to the point where I may be getting too old to be considered anymore?

Re: Having problems

28 isn't to old for anything! In fact, most of the well known screenwriters are in their 40's and 50's......
    https://twitter.com/_jenniferhughes

Comment

Absolutely not!!! Are you kidding me?? I've heard many writers say they don't even get good until their 40's! And believe me, I work on a TV show, most of the crew, directors, dp's, designers, etc are all OLD or over 40!. A few staff writers are a little younger but some are old too! This is a lifelong career for all of us! That means you keep working until you retire (with union benefits)!

Comment

I got my first staff gig at 33 back in 2006 . I'm now in a room with 7 other writers. They are all over 34.

Comment

Your post made me want to scream very loudly into my pillow...

Comment

ha. this place has a soul. why it has been so welcoming and popular all these years, i'd guess.

Comment

I'm 61 next month, and only started to write when I was 52. I have nearly a screenplay for each year of my life, and I still haven't had an option or sale. No rep. No nothing. But I have never been happier in my life (oh, except maybe in my teens, but those were irresponsible years) than I am right now. Of course, it would be cool to get some money in. And yes, at this point it's not just about the output but about some moolah, even if to provide some validation for it all.

So is it too late for you?

As all older generations say when they hear things like this, I'll say:

"Typical of some punk to ask if it's too late at twenty-eight!"

Comment

when i was about that age, i was still in the army (during peacetime thankfully, and i was not a ranger). i wrote lots of letters to family and gal friends, etc, like soldiers do. lots of them. i think those long handwritten letters were good training for a writer. rereading some of them now, they have a beginning (we were sent to...), a middle (all the stuff that happened there), and an ending (doc says will be healed up in a couple weeks but still will...) etc. anyway, today's problems and events are good story material for someday later.

i've always thought writing is a lot like fishing, but it is a lot like chopping wood sometimes, too. like trying to split locust or cherry, etc. you have to swing the ax hard or you're wasting your time and the wood is just gonna eat your ax or maul, etc. have to believe looking at a big stump that it will be firewood one day to heat your home in the winter. and you have the tool and the will, etc, to make that happen. if you don't throw your back out...

Comment

I didn't even START writing until I was 40. Took a few years, but now I have 10 produced films with 2 more this year... You hang in there.

Comment

My god, what I would do to be 28 again!

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                      My god, what I would do to be 28 again!
                      Yep. Youth is wasted on the young. 😀

Comment

Thanks everyone for your encouraging responses, I now feel more hopeful now then ever.

Comment

But, I do wonder is 28 years old getting to the point where I may be getting too old to be considered anymore?

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I didn't start screenwriting until I was 35. I've had some ups-and-downs in the past 10 years, but I've enjoyed most of it.

JD

Comment

I started at 38. And I'm (very) slowly working my way up the Hack Scale.

Comment

Working...
                              X