Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So I've Created A Free Script Hosting Website; Script Revolution

In the meantime (awaiting the buyers), writers need to continue to take advantage of this and list their scripts - at least the logs and search specs.

The site looked good a year ago, but there wasn't much content. Now, it looks and works much better, and there are nearly 2000 script, but there needs to be even more.

With the search tool as effective as it is, buyers should have a field day finding new stuff to look at. The comparison on the SR home page of SR with InkTip with Blacklist says it all.

And of course any of these blow the 'pitch' sites such as VPF right out of the water. (Being open to 'taking a pitch' means only that they're willing to take your money and maybe spend a half a second reading the first line of your log)

Comment

CJ ...

I think that the site provides a good opportunity for writers to make their works available. I hope that you will maintain it, as you have said you would.

The greatest problem, which is not your fault in any way, is that nearly all the screenplays are terrible. The loglines generally say it all.

And just about every time that I find something that hints at having some worth, it turns out that the screenplay has not been uploaded. Instead, it is available only upon request. I am not going to request a script from someone, only to discover that it is terrible. In requesting it I have implied that I will read it. And I simply will not read a script when I realize, after five pages or so, that the writer cannot write or does not follow the most basic conventions of screenwriting.

Seriously, the more appealing loglines (which imply some intellectual depth in the screenplay) are usually attached to scripts that are not available except by request.

Still, I hope that you will keep the site going.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

ComicBent...

Give these a gander.

https://www.scriptrevolution.com/pro...clint-williams

Comment

I'm only associated with this site in that I have scripts posted, or available thereon.

However, my New Years 2018 gift to all of you is simply to invite you to try it out. It's free, has features comparable to other sites, and yes I've had a few low-level business read requests but am hoping for more.

The site now has over 2000 scripts and almost 1400 members.

And did I say it's free?

www.scriptrevolution.com

Comment

A great site to get read and network.

CJ, not a failure at ALL. Don't listen to anyone being negative. Where are their script websites?

I send people not to my Stage32 or LinkedIn profile. I send them to my SR profile.

Comment

Hey Clint, just realized I saw your "Deliver Us From Evil" reading on Liveread LA with Taylor.

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post

Comment

That was a great experience. It was instructive and a blast.

Good cookies, too.

The event is a great resource for wannabe writers, imo.

"Deliver Us From Evil" is the first script that either of us wrote outside of a class assignment. It was an interesting partnership, as you can imagine.

I plan to enter Live Read/LA contest again soon.

Comment

I'm actually curious how they make their selections? The moderator opens up with "We don't choose scripts that are polished, but ones we feel could improve from a live read". So do they deliberately choose scripts of "lesser" quality? What are their criteria for selection?

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
                  That was a great experience. It was instructive and a blast.

Good cookies, too.

The event is a great resource for wannabe writers, imo.

"Deliver Us From Evil" is the first script that either of us wrote outside of a class assignment. It was an interesting partnership, as you can imagine.

I plan to enter Live Read/LA contest again soon.

Comment

The moderator opens up with "We don't choose scripts that are polished, but ones we feel could improve from a live read".
                    That ought to be an enormous pool of screenplays.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I posted a produced script of mine on the site and was a bit surprised that it was the only one filed under "Produced":

https://www.scriptrevolution.com/scr...g-like-the-sun

Comment

Originally posted by nguyensquared View Post
                        I posted a produced script of mine on the site and was a bit surprised that it was the only one filed under "Produced"...[/url]
                        I see it isn't now. I guess a lot of people went in and flagged their scripts accordingly. The site is pretty flexible in that way.

By the way, the latest blog item (from the site owner) is a good read:

How This Writer Eventually Laughed off a Blacklist 2, Got Told He Was a "Bad Writer-, Never Made It past the Quarter Finals & Still Optioned a Goddamned Feature Script

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                          I see it isn't now. I guess a lot of people went in and flagged their scripts accordingly. The site is pretty flexible in that way.

By the way, the latest blog item (from the site owner) is a good read:

How This Writer Eventually Laughed off a Blacklist 2, Got Told He Was a "Bad Writer-, Never Made It past the Quarter Finals & Still Optioned a Goddamned Feature Script
                          Thanks for the read. The site's self-submission may be its strength and weakness. There does seem to be some kind of vetting system for awards submissions to be sure they are legit (not sure how this is checked though).

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                            CJ ...

I think that the site provides a good opportunity for writers to make their works available. I hope that you will maintain it, as you have said you would.

The greatest problem, which is not your fault in any way, is that nearly all the screenplays are terrible. The loglines generally say it all.

And just about every time that I find something that hints at having some worth, it turns out that the screenplay has not been uploaded. Instead, it is available only upon request. I am not going to request a script from someone, only to discover that it is terrible. In requesting it I have implied that I will read it. And I simply will not read a script when I realize, after five pages or so, that the writer cannot write or does not follow the most basic conventions of screenwriting.

Seriously, the more appealing loglines (which imply some intellectual depth in the screenplay) are usually attached to scripts that are not available except by request.

Still, I hope that you will keep the site going.
                            I kind of wonder about this too. There's a "Featured Scripts" section that prefaces:

The following scripts are featured due to meeting a certain criteria. All of these available scripts have either been favorited by a reader or have a confirmed award while also featuring a very high quality poster image.
                            Ten of the scripts belong to the site owner. I don't believe the vetting system (if there is one) is as thorough or structured as the Black List, which can be a plus and minus. It's a good idea for a site in theory, but I suspect, as a self-submission system and promotion tool, it may be just a fancier version of a slush pile database.

Comment

If a script database has any more than a few hundred files in it, and the only change from month-to-month is that more content gets added, the quantity will quickly overwhelm any visitor looking for material.

ScriptRevolution and other such sites are only as good as their search tool:
                              https://www.scriptrevolution.com/screenplays

If you don't use it, you're allowing yourself to be dependent upon some abstract algorithm (the designers of these sites love that word) to determine script placements in any result. If that sounds like I'm no fan of "canned" searches, such as "Top 10" or "Fan Favorite", etc., then you're right.

But even the search tools, with every possible criteria entered, can be "fixed". SQL (the underlying database language) is SQL; there can be default sort orders based on datatypes and other esoteric things, but unless you literally apply a sorting command to the SQL string to overrule those defaults, you get something close to random.

So, let's say there's some nastiness going on , and there's a hidden field of "MyScriptsFirst" that contains values of 1 for your own stuff, 2 for most everyone else, and 3 for people who annoy you (ha).

Instant "algorithm"! (double ha)

In that case, no matter the selection criteria you choose (low budget, female-centric, comedy, period piece, etc. etc.), the results can come up sorted in your favor.

Being a computer guy, though not as advanced as the creator of ScriptRevolution, I appreciate the nuts and bolts of what the owner's doing. I'm not sure about his SORT order on any of his lists, but I think it's often based on some sort of "popularity" value (there goes that "algorithm" thing again!) that arises from some checkbox that visitor can mark, or maybe even # of reads/clicks, whatever.

But as mentioned, the overall search tool at least reduces the core quantity to something manageable and specific to your needs.

On that front, and in an effort to help, I nag the owner regularly when I spot something that doesn't work as advertised. I even mentioned he should have a dedicated topic or menu, maybe with a YouTube vid, that shows the non-SQL-aware folks exactly how to manipulate those lists. After all, he, like I and all who post our stuff there, want to make it as easy as possible for visiting professionals to find our stories among the maze.

Now that SR has over 2500 scripts in the database, its search function is not only essential to drill down through the irrelevant, the nonsensical, and the what-I've-already-seen, it's specificity is something one can only hope the other systems can compete with.

I'm not been a pro user of BL, InkTip, Spec Scout, etc. so I wouldn't know what tool is available on those sites to wade through their own vast quantities of stored material.

I only know that they're costly, for the screenwriter, compared to SR.

This morning rant is merely to point out how fallible these sites can be if you trust somebody else to show you what's in them.

I read somewhere that you, nguyensquared, are quite computer-aware (a grad?), so none of this is a surprise to you, eh?

Me? I'm only self-taught, but it's helped me to be a skeptic in all things.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                                If a script database has any more than a few hundred files in it, and the only change from month-to-month is that more content gets added, the quantity will quickly overwhelm any visitor looking for material.

ScriptRevolution and other such sites are only as good as their search tool:
                                https://www.scriptrevolution.com/screenplays

If you don't use it, you're allowing yourself to be dependent upon some abstract algorithm (the designers of these sites love that word) to determine script placements in any result. If that sounds like I'm no fan of "canned" searches, such as "Top 10" or "Fan Favorite", etc., then you're right.

But even the search tools, with every possible criteria entered, can be "fixed". SQL (the underlying database language) is SQL; there can be default sort orders based on datatypes and other esoteric things, but unless you literally apply a sorting command to the SQL string to overrule those defaults, you get something close to random.

So, let's say there's some nastiness going on , and there's a hidden field of "MyScriptsFirst" that contains values of 1 for your own stuff, 2 for most everyone else, and 3 for people who annoy you (ha).

Instant "algorithm"! (double ha)

In that case, no matter the selection criteria you choose (low budget, female-centric, comedy, period piece, etc. etc.), the results can come up sorted in your favor.

Being a computer guy, though not as advanced as the creator of ScriptRevolution, I appreciate the nuts and bolts of what the owner's doing. I'm not sure about his SORT order on any of his lists, but I think it's often based on some sort of "popularity" value (there goes that "algorithm" thing again!) that arises from some checkbox that visitor can mark, or maybe even # of reads/clicks, whatever.

But as mentioned, the overall search tool at least reduces the core quantity to something manageable and specific to your needs.

On that front, and in an effort to help, I nag the owner regularly when I spot something that doesn't work as advertised. I even mentioned he should have a dedicated topic or menu, maybe with a YouTube vid, that shows the non-SQL-aware folks exactly how to manipulate those lists. After all, he, like I and all who post our stuff there, want to make it as easy as possible for visiting professionals to find our stories among the maze.

Now that SR has over 2500 scripts in the database, its search function is not only essential to drill down through the irrelevant, the nonsensical, and the what-I've-already-seen, it's specificity is something one can only hope the other systems can compete with.

I'm not been a pro user of BL, InkTip, Spec Scout, etc. so I wouldn't know what tool is available on those sites to wade through their own vast quantities of stored material.

I only know that they're costly, for the screenwriter, compared to SR.

This morning rant is merely to point out how fallible these sites can be if you trust somebody else to show you what's in them.

I read somewhere that you, nguyensquared, are quite computer-aware (a grad?), so none of this is a surprise to you, eh?

Me? I'm only self-taught, but it's helped me to be a skeptic in all things.
                                I'm aware of how SQL queries work. But the nebulous part of the site is how exactly these are ranked. On the Black List there's a score, and the ones that score highest are aptly pushed to the top, whereas on the ScriptRevolution site, it seems to be cobbling everything together to where an BL equivalent 4 and a 9 are mixed in with everything in between.

This assumes, however, that the site's goal is to help visitors search for the best scripts. In a section called "Featured", for example, you're presumably showcasing the best the site has to offer. And it's unclear if this is the case, especially when 10 of the scripts on the list belong to the site's owner. If this isn't the purpose fo the site, then this is all a moot point anyway.

That being said, if the latter is true, then the site will have a hard time getting interest from anyone other than the people who submit their own work, as you'd have to sift through scripts one by one without any way to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

If ScriptRevolution added some kind of scoring system, that would help both visitors and users, I think, kind of like a free version of the Black List. But then, getting those evaluations and making them meaningful would be a task in itself. It depends on which you prioritize, the scriptwriters or the people visiting the site looking for scripts? If it's meant as just a hosting space for scripts, then the site is a great idea. If it's the former, even if ScriptRevolution had 250,000 scripts, it'll always fall short to a source with 250 scripts of vetted amazing material.

Comment

Working...
                                X