Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2019

Shouldn't notifications be sent, like, any day now?

Comment

You and I seem to be the only ones who care this year, but maybe the slight delay is simply because they're simply sticking to what their FAQ says - that notifications are supposed to be by July 31.

Either that, or we were spoiled silly over the years by Greg Beal, who used to run it, who simply cracked the whip more and got things done more quickly.

Well, we're writers, so let's imagine some conspiracy theories: Among the hundreds of planned quarterfinalists, the organizers have uncovered a bunch of cheaters who'd earned >$25K, or are actually experienced pros put out of work by the current Guild-Agency squabbles, who're just trying to make a buck to make that end-of-month car loan, or they found one writer submitted 63 screenplays under 21 different pseudonyms, or, or, or...

Comment

Congrats on your 2017! Actually, I haven't 'played' since 2016, so I am not the expert to know whether the quarterfinal announcement still comes in as early as it had in earlier years.

Comment

Originally posted by Strangerthanfiction
          I placed in 2017, didn't place in 2018... I'm dreading the results to be honest, it's been nice fantasising that the comments are about my scripts. I don't want that to be over for another year...
          Anyway, good luck all. Cross your fingers and toes.
          Feelin' this. I got a QF my first time out (first script, first submission) in 2015, then got nothing in 2016, then got semis in 2017, and bupkis in 2018. So I'm obviously hoping to go for the finals in this odd year! But I'm totally prepared for a repeat of three zeroes like last year...

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
            Shouldn't notifications be sent, like, any day now?
            I won't be surprised if it's not next week. Nothing happens fast.

Comment

Well, the quarterfinalists have been announced. I didn't make it, but my script, "Heartless" was one of the top 20% that was read three times.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Me too - I mean, me neither.

That keeps my shutout string alive: 24 scripts entered in 27 contests (that's a few repeat scripts in different contests) since 2010, with nary a placement!

Do I sound happy? Well, it's not glee that I feel. It's just the same old big shrug, maybe, that I've felt with every pass and non-response that I've received since I began to write.

That is: When I finally get a deal somewhere, I'm looking forward to saying that none of the traditional methods of 'approval' that are used by the fringe gatekeepers in this business ever approved of anything I ever did!

Fringe gatekeepers? The contests, consultants, small-timers, experts and reps.

Approval is nice, but aren't we all really looking for approval by the serious gatekeepers... the buyers?

G'luck to all!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkKnight(OfTheSoul)
                  The script I entered into the Nicholl just advanced to the Quarterfinals...
                  Congrats!

For those who do the 'contest' thing, Nicholl is the one you want to do. It's the PowerBall lottery versus the scratch tickets.

I mentioned that I'd entered 27 contests; but 13 entries were to Nicholl, and they were 13 of the last 15 that I did. That is, you go where there's smoke, to find that fire.

G'luck! At least you only have about a month to wait for the next announcement

Comment

Swing and a miss. Maybe next year.

Comment

Arrgh don't sweat it. All the best to those still in, and to those who joined me in the 'miss' parade, let's hope that next year WE DON'T QUALIFY! $$$

Comment

The script I entered into the Nicholl just advanced to the Quarterfinals.
                        Congrats, that's awesome!

Comment

I'm wondering how the number of quarterfinalists is determined. Is it a fixed number or percentage? The notification said 365 out of 7,302. How is that determined?

Comment

The script I entered into the Nicholl just advanced to the Quarterfinals.

Not 3 days ago I received contest coverage on the same script from a low-level, but still by some considered worth entering, screenplay competition. I did not advance. The coverage read like it was written by a middle-schooler and was borderline incoherent. But it still stung like hell. Said my script was essentially garbage. Here's a condescending excerpt:

"Remember, a screenplay is a story told by pictures. Therefore, it is critical that the writer pours the elements of personal and private of the protagonist into the script so everyone knows, connects, and understands the journey of the protagonist."

We all know this already but: it's all subjective. If you believe in your story then Keep. Moving. Forward. Hopefully this helps some people in some way who read this post.

Cheers... to writers.
                            I don't think it would be an actionable offense for you to name the contest. I'm suspecting BlueCat, because that's a familiar complaint about them. If it's any other 'un, speak up....

Comment

Originally posted by blue439 View Post
                              I'm wondering how the number of quarterfinalists is determined. Is it a fixed number or percentage? The notification said 365 out of 7,302. How is that determined?
                              It's "top 5% plus ties."

Comment

I entered 3 scripts but only got email notification for 2.

Did anyone else have this happen?

Comment

Working...
                                X