Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA meetings: rental car or Uber?

Given costs, convenience, traffic, parking, etc., what makes more sense when in LA for meetings: rental car/Relayrides or Uber?
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: LA meetings: rental car or Uber?

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    Given costs, convenience, traffic, parking, etc., what makes more sense when in LA for meetings: rental car/Relayrides or Uber?
    I would say it probably depends on how many meetings you have (in a day or back to back) and where they are located. Also time of day will matter a lot as to whether you can get in and out of an area and to the next or just in general.

If you have any on the studio lots it might not make sense to have Uber since they won't let anyone who isn't on the list through the drive in gates -- and some prodcos involve driving through the lot a good ways so you likely don't want to be walking that much inside.

Shoot me a PM of you want to give me details (locations, times, days) and I'll see if I can be more specific help.

I'm leaning towards a rental but I don't know how much you'll use or what the cost factor is.
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
      I would say it probably depends on how many meetings you have (in a day or back to back) and where they are located. Also time of day will matter a lot as to whether you can get in and out of an area and to the next or just in general.

If you have any on the studio lots it might not make sense to have Uber since they won't let anyone who isn't on the list through the drive in gates -- and some prodcos involve driving through the lot a good ways so you likely don't want to be walking that much inside.

Shoot me a PM of you want to give me details (locations, times, days) and I'll see if I can be more specific help.

I'm leaning towards a rental but I don't know how much you'll use or what the cost factor is.
      Rent a car. You'll be a lot happier you did.

Comment

Rent a car.

Use a GPS.

Double check GPS directions.
        Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
          Rent a car.

Use a GPS.

Double check GPS directions.
          Yep.

Comment

There are plenty of cheapie car rental places in LA. Can't speak to how good they are myself, since I live here, but I've heard good things.

Comment

Definitely rent. Even if you just have one meeting, it's only about $40 including tax and gas for the day. I don't know how much Uber costs but depending on the distance you're probably looking at more than that. Plus, as Ducky said, if it's on a lot, you'll most likely need to drive-on yourself. Here's another rental car tip - if you're renting for more than a couple days, you're better off getting a weekly rate as it's significantly cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by callalily View Post
                Definitely rent. Even if you just have one meeting, it's only about $40 including tax and gas for the day. I don't know how much Uber costs but depending on the distance you're probably looking at more than that. Plus, as Ducky said, if it's on a lot, you'll most likely need to drive-on yourself. Here's another rental car tip - if you're renting for more than a couple days, you're better off getting a weekly rate as it's significantly cheaper.
                Rent. Weekly rates give you the best deals.
                If you really like it you can have the rights
                It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

I just went down there for a big meeting and had to ditch my rental car because my flight arrived an hour late! Haha... But in spite of that, yes I'd say rent. But give yourself PLENTY of extra time; I'd say factor in an extra half hour to pick up the rental car.
                  Last edited by grumpywriter; 09-28-2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

When I was playing chauffeur on the water-bottle tour of LA for the director of my film, we did it all by rental. Can't see how you would do it any other way and not feel like you were in an episode of 24.

Another tip: sometimes the lines at the airport rentals are really long (if you haven't booked in advance, and even then there can be a wait). When we got there, we ditched the line, caught a taxi to the hotel and got them to get a car delivered to us. It was great.

EDIT: Oh, and GPS!!! Goes without saying, really.

Comment

Rental. GPS. Waze.

Comment

I agree with everyone above about renting a car.

Another reason: Uber gets you what you pay for. They're cheaper than a cab, but most of the drivers for Los Angeles live in areas outside Hollywood/Santa Monica/Culver City (which I'm guess is where the majority of your meetings will be). They'll be relying on GPS as much as you to find the locations.

Driving yourself, you can get there plenty early, find parking, and listen to music on the radio to energize yourself until it's time to head inside.

Comment

Uber a very unsympathetic company that treats its "independent contractors" very unfairly.

Uber takes 25% of their fare, and from the remaining 75% they have to pay gas, maintenance, and you also need to deduct devaluation. Did you know they often make just 4$ for a ride? All summed up, Uber drivers barely make more than minimum wage. I don't want to support such a business model, so Uber is not an option. Uber is down under.

Aside from not wanting to support bad business practics, also the cost side of renting is also better. Plus, you have your car when you want it, and you can go to the beach or wherever you like after the meetings. If your credit card pays for the loss/damage insurance (and most do) then you're only looking at about $ 30.00 to $ 35.00 a day plus gas.
                          Last edited by Ulysses; 10-08-2014, 10:24 PM.
                          "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

I guess I'm the lone voice in favor of uber. I find driving (esp in LA) stressful, and the last thing you need when pitching/meetings is added stress. I've done it both ways and much prefer uber-ing. Cars come in just a few minutes. Good luck!

Comment

I'd definitely suggest renting.

If you have a lot of meetings over a short amount of time, you want to be in control of whatever you can. Sometimes you're in a hurry, other times you want to be leisurely and rehearse your pitches or whatever.

And from a practical perspective, the bottled water tour puts a lot of water in you and who wants to tell Uber drivers to hang out while you go pee?

My iPhone was a great enough GPS (and it talks to you) and Enterprise is always my go to rental company and is always reasonably priced as long as you reserve ahead of time.

Comment

Working...
                              X