Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Austin 2018

Pretty amazing lineup of panelists they are listing. I wonder if anyone ever feels shy when speaking up at these things. Attendees are supposed to bring their own questions. It might be one of the first times you make an impression on them. A few of these panelists were also at the WGA panel in Los Angeles. They were very popular.

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
      Be extremely careful with Frontier, and read the fine print, like a lawyer. Many people show up with a normal carry-on bag and end up paying an extra $100 (or so) each way. My family used Frontier once, between Texas and Colorado. I had to buy special bags that were smaller than most carry-ons. We shipped luggage to the destination in advance (and back again when when they returned).

They definitely make their money on surprise charges at the airport, when you're boarding the plane and don't have much choice.

Knowing this in advance can get you a really cheap flight. If you're traveling with a normal carry-on and one or two check-in bags, you can often find better prices on a different airline.
      I second this. My brother and his wife are unseasoned travelers and took Frontier from Las Vegas to Providence via Orlando. Basically, Frontier cancelled their flight from Orlando to Providence and left them stranded. I ended up buying them tickets on Southwest to get them to Providence in time for a reunion they were attending. Though airlines like Southwest and Alaska might charge a little more upfront, they won't abandon you halfway. Especially Southwest. They have so many short hops that if they cancel one flight they can hop you in another way.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
        Pretty amazing lineup of panelists they are listing. I wonder if anyone ever feels shy when speaking up at these things. Attendees are supposed to bring their own questions. It might be one of the first times you make an impression on them. A few of these panelists were also at the WGA panel in Los Angeles. They were very popular.
        Panels are basically for panelists to talk about a certain topic and a moderator generally asks the majority of the questions. At the end, audience members can ask questions but they should be actual QUESTIONS, not an attempt to "make an impression on them." There's always someone who stands in the back and says "As an accomplished blabbidy blah blah fancy person, who wrote "Script No One Has Heard Of" ... and then never quite gets to their question. Don't be that guy.

I also watched someone trying to "make an impression" on a very famous now Oscar-nominated director who happened to be known for indie films. The person was rude, pushy, implied that because the director was known for lower budget indie films that guy's films were bad and ergo he should have a "good" screenwriter like this newbie thought he was.

I am not sure I've ever seen this director at AFF since. Please don't be one of those people.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
          Panels are basically for panelists to talk about a certain topic and a moderator generally asks the majority of the questions. At the end, audience members can ask questions but they should be actual QUESTIONS, not an attempt to "make an impression on them." There's always someone who stands in the back and says "As an accomplished blabbidy blah blah fancy person, who wrote "Script No One Has Heard Of" ... and then never quite gets to their question. Don't be that guy.

I also watched someone trying to "make an impression" on a very famous now Oscar-nominated director who happened to be known for indie films. The person was rude, pushy, implied that because the director was known for lower budget indie films that guy's films were bad and ergo he should have a "good" screenwriter like this newbie thought he was.

I am not sure I've ever seen this director at AFF since. Please don't be one of those people.

Thanks for an insight into the festival. It's very fascinating.

I was referring to the more private roundtables for people that placed in the contest. The advertising says that those eligible for those roundtables get to sit informally with a few of those managers/showrunners/screenwriters to ask informal questions. This is apart from the regular panels that have thousands of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
            Thanks for an insight into the festival. It's very fascinating.

I was referring to the more private roundtables for people that placed in the contest. The advertising says that those eligible for those roundtables get to sit informally with a few of those managers/showrunners/screenwriters to ask informal questions. This is apart from the regular panels that have thousands of people.
            roundtables are pretty cool (i met Malcolm Spellman in person at my first second-round table). more like speed dating with the panelists. usually don't have enough time for every panelist to hit every table but if there are 10 tables you'll probably have face time with five or six people. super informal, basically a 10-15 minute Ask Me Anything. only downside is when somebody monopolizes the conversation or wastes time with bad questions. but that is fairly rare in my experience at them

Comment

Last edited by boobtubenewb; 10-08-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                roundtables are pretty cool (i met Malcolm Spellman in person at my first second-round table). more like speed dating with the panelists. usually don't have enough time for every panelist to hit every table but if there are 10 tables you'll probably have face time with five or six people. super informal, basically a 10-15 minute Ask Me Anything. only downside is when somebody monopolizes the conversation or wastes time with bad questions. but that is fairly rare in my experience at them

Thanks. That's exactly what I was curious about. How that type of roundtable functioned. Were you or any of the attendees able to keep contact with those panelists at those informal sessions? Or was it more like they just politely answered a few questions and you guys never saw them again?

Comment

Originally posted by boobtubenewb View Post
                  I placed last year. We got to pick our session (i.e. Friday or Saturday or whatever) but they didn't let us choose which person's roundtable to sit at, instead seating us as we entered. It was very frustrating, especially if you were seated with a genre/person you weren't interested in. When the 10-15 minutes were up, we moved over to the next table. Again, no choice where to move to.

I will say everyone got their questions in and I never felt rushed. Definitely go in with your top five asks prepped beforehand though.

Yeah, I had been wondering about that. If you were able to get face time with some of those panelists that everyone wants to talk to. If it's totally random then you wouldn't be able to talk to the ones that you had been hoping to talk to.

Comment

Last edited by boobtubenewb; 10-08-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boobtubenewb View Post
                      A friend sat with Chris Emerson from Magnet and he was apparently freely giving out his email address telling everyone to submit anytime saying they'd met him there.

Oh. That's cool.

Comment

Got the good news that Ticker advanced to the finals in the AMC Drama Teleplay category and also made the finals of the Josephson Entertainment Screenwriting Fellowship.

And MASSIVE CONGRATS to Wenonah for Horsehead Girls being a finalist as well! I hope you're going to the festival - would really love to meet you and hang out at the fest. I can totally relate to your writing journey. Went down that same long and winding path myself. My writing partner and I live in a tiny town in Wyoming surrounded by the Wind River Reservation.

I haven't been to the AFF since 2005 (lucky enough to win the feature category that year with The Education of Kady) and I'm SOOOOO looking forward to going back.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!

Comment

Congrats to you, Molly and yes I'm going to the conference, please find me! I'll be the one in the corner pinching herself. I can't freaking believe it... honestly I feel completely lucky to have this year. It's like a dream. I'm pretty happy. I also got repped by UTA in the past couple days.

I love you guys and thank you so much for the support.

Watching Wind river was actually a pretty big turning point for me while writing this script so that's so cool you live out that way.

Good luck to the rest of the finalists and semifinalists and whoever is going, I hope to meet you.

Wenonah

Comment

Congrats on signing with UTA. It's such a relief when you finally pick a rep you mesh with, right?! Takes a whole layer of stress off, especially if you're not in LA and have to fly in for business. Cramming in five or six meetings a day can be a logistical nightmare if you don't have somebody coordinating your itinerary. Plus you have someone who has instant access to what projects are in development and what certain companies are looking for, so you don't waste time writing something nobody will want.

Hope your winning streak continues and I get to cheer and clap when they call you up to accept your bronze typewriter.

-Mol

Comment

Originally posted by Molly Maguire View Post
                                Congrats on signing with UTA. It's such a relief when you finally pick a rep you mesh with, right?! Takes a whole layer of stress off, especially if you're not in LA and have to fly in for business. Cramming in five or six meetings a day can be a logistical nightmare if you don't have somebody coordinating your itinerary. Plus you have someone who has instant access to what projects are in development and what certain companies are looking for, so you don't waste time writing something nobody will want.

-Mol

It's like an expert juggler has stepped in and taken all these air born chainsaws away from me. It's amazing.

W

Comment

Working...
                                X