Querying TV lit managers--your own pilot or existing tv show script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Querying TV lit managers--your own pilot or existing tv show script?

just curious...I haven't dived into the world of TV writing yet but I'm starting to think about it. If you have a killer pilot script do you query with that or do you write a script for an existing series?
    thanks
    MT
    If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Re: querying TV lit managers--your own pilot or existing tv show script?

Actually, you want a portfolio - couple pilots, couple specs. You can use features, short stories, short film scripts, etc., to get into TV as well. But a manager will definitely want to read more than one script.

Comment

word to docgonzo. Unlike features, one great script might not get you repped. You have to show two things. One - that you can mimic other people's writing and two - that you have a voice of your own.

Comment

So it's standard practice to query managers with your own script as well as a script from a popular current show? What if you had written your own original pilot and 3 subsequent episodes for the next greatest TV show? I haven't written anything yet, I'm just curious how it works.
        thanks
        MT

Comment

@mtoomey - throw out those 3 subsequent episodes, because they will essentially be worthless to the manager/agent. It's good to have IDEAS for future episodes, but not future episodes themselves already written.

As stated above, you want a portfolio. Play it safe and go with 3 scripts. Four is better, especially if one is a spec film. Just to give them more examples of your work.

So you want:

1. Two specs of existing shows. (Stay away from The Office, 30 Rock, Grey's Anatomy, CSI, and House.) If you can, hit both half-hour comedy and hour-long drama. You're more valuable if you can hit multiple formats.
          2. Spec Pilot (plus further potential ideas, though you might not want hit them up with those). A second spec pilot in a different genre would also be beneficial.
          3. Feature Spec

Keep in mind, I know nothing. This is just based on what I remember from reading many many blog posts about TV.

Also keep in mind that the shelf life of TV specs is a hell of a lot shorter than a feature spec, so you have to keep on updating you portfolio on a yearly/every other year basis depending on its contents.

I don't remember exactly how much you will want to query them with. That was just to say what you should have in your portfolio.

And finally, the show doesn't have to be popular, per se, just well known amongst the Hollywood types. It really all depends, though. You might have a killer Mad Men spec that would get you picked up instantly by one guy, but instead you just happen to query the one manager in Hollywood that who thinks Mad Men is what you get when you f*ck someone else's girlfriend.
          Last edited by 12916studios; 11-13-2009, 01:15 PM.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Re: Querying TV lit managers--your own pilot or existing tv show script?

The above advice is solid IF your goal is to get hired on staff or to write for some show. But there's also a market for spec pilots. If you have an original pilot the manager thinks he/she can sell, believe me they'll be happy to take that route instead.

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
              @mtoomey - throw out those 3 subsequent episodes, because they will essentially be worthless to the manager/agent. It's good to have IDEAS for future episodes, but not future episodes themselves already written.

As stated above, you want a portfolio. Play it safe and go with 3 scripts. Four is better, especially if one is a spec film. Just to give them more examples of your work.

So you want:

1. Two specs of existing shows. (Stay away from The Office, 30 Rock, Grey's Anatomy, CSI, and House.) If you can, hit both half-hour comedy and hour-long drama. You're more valuable if you can hit multiple formats.
              2. Spec Pilot (plus further potential ideas, though you might not want hit them up with those). A second spec pilot in a different genre would also be beneficial.
              3. Feature Spec

Keep in my, I know nothing. This is just based on what I remember from reading many many blog posts about TV.

Also keep in mind that the shelf life of TV specs is a hell of a lot shorter than a feature spec, so you have to keep on updating you portfolio on a yearly/every other year basis depending on its contents.

I don't remember exactly how much you will want to query them with. That was just to say what you should have in your portfolio.

And finally, the show doesn't have to be popular, per se, just well known amongst the Hollywood types. It really all depends, though. You might have a killer Mad Men spec that would get you picked up instantly by one guy, but instead you just happen to query the one manager in Hollywood that who thinks Mad Men is what you get when you f*ck someone else's girlfriend.
              Actually, that's good advice. I got eleven scripts (four TV samples and seven features specs).
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

thanks for the advice everyone. interesting stuff. I have an idea for a pilot and feel like taking a break before writing my next feature spec. but I don't really want to write scripts for existing shows. lots to think about...
                MT

Comment

Originally posted by mtoomey View Post
                  thanks for the advice everyone. interesting stuff. I have an idea for a pilot and feel like taking a break before writing my next feature spec. but I don't really want to write scripts for existing shows. lots to think about...
                  MT
                  If you don't want to write scripts for existing shows, then TV writing is not for you.

Comment

I didn't phrase that well...I meant to say I don't want to spend the time now writing scripts of existing shows if it was possible to query managers with a solid original pilot. sounds like that's not really an option since a potential manager would want to see how you can write for an already existing series.

And I'm certainly not saying I will have a solid pilot script by any means, but one can dream.

anyway, it's probably a moot point because I haven't written anything yet...
                    MT

Comment

If you want to be a writer, even on your own show, you still have to be able to do it all. You can't just write your own pilot and sell it. Being able to mimic a show's structure/tone/theme/characters/etc. is absolutely essential in the TV business. If you can't, or won't, or don't want to do it, then don't even bother.

Also, if you are going to write your own pilot episode you need to watch a lot of TV and read a lot of pilot scripts to see how it is done. There's an enormous amount that goes into pilots. In many ways, I would say they are much more difficult than features.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
                        In many ways, I would say they are much more difficult than features.
                        You have 60 pages to introduce your characters, establish tone, tell a story and set up a series that would run for 5-6 seasons. No easy task.

Comment

Working...
                        X