Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #131
Sinnycal

Default Re: The Raven... uh, ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why One View Post
As SB has said, it's in the execution. Just because you come up with an idea of some guy being locked in a vacant room with a saw first, doesn't automtically land you a deal. You have to demonstrate it with a solid form of execution.
What was executed, exactly? Some nifty digital effects?
Sinnycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #132
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnycal View Post
Well...

Yes.

Pretty much.

Exactly.

The 276th person to use an idea wouldn't pay the 275th person who used the idea if they were aware of the fact that 274 people already used the idea before him.
No offense, but you just don't get it. There is a cool idea there. The filmmaker is obviously very talented. The concept to movie translation is clear (ghostbusters with video game characters), worth paying to get into business on it. No one has made this movie yet, even if there are lots of pieces of media out there on the web that may touch on it.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #133
Sinnycal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBScript View Post
No offense, but you just don't get it. There is a cool idea there.
A cool idea that I've seen countless times before this short.

Quote:
The filmmaker is obviously very talented.
Obviously.

Which means that, like I was saying pages ago, they've misidentified the value of the short.

Quote:
The concept to movie translation is clear (ghostbusters with video game characters), worth paying to get into business on it.
Good lord, really? Ghostbusters? People have been trying for decades to make the next Ghostbusters, and you're ready to just presume that it is hidden in this glorified tech-demo?

I can't believe I would have to explain this, but Ghostbusters isn't Ghostbusters because "let's use ghosts" was such a brilliant idea. Not a single thing that would make for the next Ghostbusters is present in this short.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #134
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
A cool idea that I've seen countless times before this short.

Obviously.

Which means that, like I was saying pages ago, they've misidentified the value of the short.

Good lord, really? Ghostbusters? People have been trying for decades to make the next Ghostbusters, and you're ready to just presume that it is hidden in this glorified tech-demo?

I can't believe I would have to explain this, but Ghostbusters isn't Ghostbusters because "let's use ghosts" was such a brilliant idea. Not a single thing that would make for the next Ghostbusters is present in this short.
And I can't believe that I have to explain this, but Ghostbusters is Ghostbusters because of the writing, the acting and the director. Just like Pixels could be the next Ghostbusters because of the writing, the acting and the director.

If you had just pitched an idea about three guys trying to stop a bunch of ghosts from running amuck in NY, then guess what, it could go either way. It could be pedestrian crap, or it could be ghostbusters. But, what makes sense is identifying a good concept, and then paying to get an amazing script on the page, and then paying to get the right actors in it. And that is what they are doing, i.e., they are at step one. Which, again, you really don't seem to understand. It's a good concept. It could be a great movie, but it's up to them to get it there.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #135
Sinnycal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBScript View Post
And I can't believe that I have to explain this, but Ghostbusters is Ghostbusters because of the writing, the acting and the director. Just like Pixels could be the next Ghostbusters because of the writing, the acting and the director.
What a meaningless distinction.

I just got done dropping a load in the toilet that could be the next Ghostbusters if we assuming that Ghostbusters-level writing, acting, and directing will be attached to it.

Unfortunately for me, it turns out that writing the next Ghostbusters is the hard part. Who could've guessed?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #136
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
What a meaningless distinction.

I just got done dropping a load in the toilet that could be the next Ghostbusters if we assuming that Ghostbusters-level writing, acting, and directing will be attached to it.

Unfortunately for me, it turns out that writing the next Ghostbusters is the hard part. Who could've guessed?
You're wrong. You can waste great talent on bad concepts. Starting with a good concept is actually important. But, keep on believing that you can polish that turd you just dropped into a golden nugget.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #137
Sinnycal

Actually writing a story with characters on the level of those found in Ghosbusters is the easy part. Once you come up with the barest nugget of a concept that countless people before you have already come up with, you're virtually at the finish line.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #138
Furious Anjel

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but...

"Mark Wahlberg is in talks to star and produce the feature version of THE RAVEN at Universal with Montreuil directing! Screenwriter Justin Marks is penning the script."

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exc...a-studio-10529