Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #71
Pipe

Default Re: Battle: Los Angeles Opening Weekend

Oy this is a terrible movie. Usually I can just relax and enjoy a film like this for what it is, but I couldn't this time. I won't go into characters or dialogue or pointless story/plot that is talked about above, but I will add this: the fight scenes were all dumb. A bunch of guys hunkering down and shooting in every direction and getting shot at from every direction by aliens dancing back and forth like tin rabbits at a carnival. I can't enjoy a good fight if there's no clear direction or goal. It just looked like random ****. Is that an artistic choice or an amateur choice? Guess it doesn't matter. Hated this movie.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #72
Terrance Mulloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
Oy this is a terrible movie. Usually I can just relax and enjoy a film like this for what it is, but I couldn't this time. I won't go into characters or dialogue or pointless story/plot that is talked about above, but I will add this: the fight scenes were all dumb. A bunch of guys hunkering down and shooting in every direction and getting shot at from every direction by aliens dancing back and forth like tin rabbits at a carnival. I can't enjoy a good fight if there's no clear direction or goal. It just looked like random ****. Is that an artistic choice or an amateur choice? Guess it doesn't matter. Hated this movie.
I think, and I'm totally guessing here, it was meant to be aimless on purpose. Like they were trying to mirror real combat situations - panic, madness, fear, outnumbered by an elusive enemy, etc. At least that's how I saw it. Their main goal from what I remember was to evac civilians to that army base.

As someone mentioned earlier, the film was basically a 2-hour long combat sequence.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #73
prescribe22

I liked it a lot. I found it emotionally charged and incredibly cathartic.
prescribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #74
Signal30

I suppose I could go back and remind myself of what I said about it earlier in this thread...but I think that pretty much sums it up right there.

One of those Oh-yeah-I-saw-that movies, but no lasting power. Haven't thought about it since right after I saw it.

My YouTube channel.
Signal30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #75
Qazworld

if we ever get invaded by ETs; this movie should be required viewing. it'd be an awesome recruitment video.

i dont get why it didnt get better reviews.

tons of fun.

Qazworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #76
cmmora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazworld View Post
if we ever get invaded by ETs; this movie should be required viewing. it'd be an awesome recruitment video.

i dont get why it didnt get better reviews.

tons of fun.
If on December 21, 2012, aliens Come back to Earth, I wouldn't be surprised.

This became evident when my Catholic Church, the same one's who are and have always been adverse to change, says stuff like this...

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/sto...ns/0802629.htm

""This is not in contrast with the faith, because we cannot place limits on the creative freedom of God," he said."

and this...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5613197.shtml

It's almost as if they are preparing us for something...

And if you consider we have had movies like this for a damn long time, maybe the global [(:-)] conspiracy, that would make Mulder proud, has been preparing us all along.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)
cmmora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #77
tuukka

I didn't like this.

I just gets a lot of very basic things wrong.

First of all, the characters have no character at all. They are not 2-dimensional, or even 1-dimensional. They are like 0.5-dimensional. The film doesn't even have characters, it just has human-looking robotic puppets who walk around. Most of the time I had real trouble in trying to separate them from each other.

And that pretty much killed any interest and excitement in the story and turned the film into a major bore.

A film like this doesn't need complex characters. But at least give me some familiar cliches I can cling onto. Give me *something*.

Another problem for me was the action, which again is mostly sloppily staged and sloppily shot. Very few directors know how to do this shaky-cam, quick-cutting approach well. There were some nice action moments, but they were not enough to elevate the film.

But yeah, Battle: Los Angeles was really dull to me. And that's the worst thing a film like this can be.

My friend loved it thought. He said it was awesome how the film had no characters and no story, it was just killing-shooting-killing-shouting-killing-things-exploding for two hours. The ultimate militaristic macho trip in his opinion.

Which is a fair point, I guess.
tuukka is offline   Reply With Quote