Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #51
KWhit
User

Default Re: THE MIST - Why do people not like it?

I both love and hate the ending.

I really like what they're going for, but the execution (sorry bad pun) didn't really work for me.

I like the idea of the father making a terrible choice in order to save his son from a more horrific fate only to find out they could have been saved.

But my problem was that there was no need for him to kill them all at the moment he does so. Why not wait it out a bit? What compelled him to kill at that moment? Nothing.

One should always hang on until it becomes obvious there is no way out of the situation. But in this movie, they get out into the mist for a short time and he decides too quickly to do it. It's human nature to put off having to do something that horrible until he absolutely had to. There was no immediate threat to them at the time he pulled the trigger, which made it ring false and be seen as obviously manipulative - not tragic.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #52
1mper1um

Kwhit,

As per my previous post, whenever they ventured outside, they were set upon. Either by tentacles, spiders or giant crab things. They'd driven for miles and it was all the same. Now they ran out of gas and that humungous ant thing just walked past them - showing there was no end to the possibilities in the mist. That is why he did it there and then. There was no sign of a let up in the mist, it was everywhere, and once they step out of the car they would be attacked.
1mper1um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #53
Southern_land

Based on this thread I have just hired and am rewatching it... Someone here owes me a dollar and an hour of my time. Not even sure if I'll reach the end.

Bad Movie! Roll over and play dead!

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #54
Jim Mercurio
Regular

Interesting that this thread popped back up again. I was thinking about writing or videotaping about the ending in discussion of theme and character.

I don't think the ending/tragedy was earned. Instead of making the Marcia Gay Harden character a generic religious nut, she could have been used to set up the issue of FAITH. The father's action is sort of incoherent without more setup. With some work, it could have been a character whose fatal flaw was that he didn't have faith... that he was unable to have hope and a vision for any other way out...If that idea had been set up, it could have earned its tragic ending but now it's forced and melodramatic. Or maybe there is another theme/flaw that would have resulted in coherent character orchestration so that we could have understood it in a context. But right now, it's a big MEH. Or Mehss.

Pun aside, it's more of a "Huh?" with a head-scratch.

Last edited by Jim Mercurio : 06-20-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Cthullu pointed out my actor error
Jim Mercurio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #55
CthulhuRises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
Interesting that this thread popped back up again. I was thinking about writing or videotaping about the ending in discussion of theme and character.

I don't think the ending/tragedy was earned. Instead of making the KAthy BAtes a generic religious nut, she could have been used to set up the issue of FAITH. The father's action is sort of incoherent without more setup. With some work, it could have been a character whose fatal flaw was that he didn't have faith... that he was unable to have hope and a vision for any other way out...If that idea had been set up, it could have earned its tragic ending but now it's forced and melodramatic. Or maybe there is another theme/flaw that would have resulted in coherent character orchestration so that we could have understood it in a context. But right now, it's a big MEH. Or Mehss.

Pun aside, it's more of a "Huh?" with a head-scratch.
That was Marcia Gay Harden, not Kathy Bates.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #56
Jim Mercurio
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuRises View Post
That was Marcia Gay Harden, not Kathy Bates.
My bad. Thanks.
Jim Mercurio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #57
one seven spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_land View Post
Based on this thread I have just hired and am rewatching it... Someone here owes me a dollar and an hour of my time. Not even sure if I'll reach the end.

Bad Movie! Roll over and play dead!
So, what was it about the film you didn't like? Or don't like? (I take it you watched it all?)

Good to hear people's opinions, both for and against it. Much better than just "It's good" or "It sucks".

For me, I liked it, particularly the social disintegration within the supermarket. A great example of how impossible it is for our race to band together and pull through a catastrophic event, thanks to religion and politics.

Thanks everyone for posting.
one seven spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote