Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Television
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #41
omovie

Default Re: Mad Men: Season 5 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
this show has been on for 5 seasons?!!! i thought it was only 2. damn, i missed a lot.
Yeah, it's 5 seasons. In fact, the name of this thread is "Mad Men: Season 5 Premier". That's wasn't an arbitrary number I put in the title.
omovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #42
NikeeGoddess
User

ha! i didn't even pay attention to that... b/c i just watched the show for the first time, i just posted.

so -- what's the deal with that woman who was crawling across the boardroom table like a cat? that was more freaky than anything else i saw on this ep.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #43
mge457
Regular

Wow. Tonight was incredible. This has to be some of the best writing on television.

Definitely see tonight + last week for Emmy noms. Christina Hendricks has been pitch perfect, I hope she wins Best Actress.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #44
omovie

Do you guys think Don was right in firing Lane?
omovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #45
David Palmer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by omovie View Post
Do you guys think Don was right in firing Lane?
For me, watching the scene of Don firing Lane, I couldn't help but think of few seasons when he did the same to Sal Romano -- albeit under different circumstances. This is a tough one for me, because in this arena, Don consistently acts in a manner that he believes is best; even if it isn't always with the most compassion, but his motivations are usually pure. And that right there is the rub and the brilliance of the writing, because I completely understood Don's motivations.

Embezzlement isn't something to play with. The entire company was put at risk, and allowing Lane to walk away quietly -- in Don's mind at least -- was the most compassionate thing to do, but Lane is the man that made the creation of Sterling/Cooper/Draper/Price possible when he fired all of them before the big merger a few seasons ago. Lane really put himself out there on the line, sank his own money into the company, and only took the money as a loan. I don't think there's any doubt that he was going to replace the funds as soon as the Christmas bonuses were handed out.

If I were Don's shoes I'm not sure I would have been able to do it especially considering how indebted everyone should have been to Lane, but forgery, no matter what the motivation, is a serious fracture of trust in business as you can get. So I can't exactly say that Don was wrong in acting to protect the business.

There is that inescapable big of irony though, that Don is firing a man for forging a name that Don's been forging for years. Lane really caught the short end all around.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #46
mge457
Regular

*****Spoilers + thoughts*****

1) Don offering Lane money, and forcing him to leave and move on immediately made me think of Draper's younger brother, Adam Whitman. Lane and Adam also both hung (hanged?) themselves. Don has to be feeling pretty guilty, but it's also a testament to his resilience as a survivor and his ability to start over from nothing.

2) Weird vibes from Glen (MWs son). The show really drew some psychological and physical similarities between him and Don at the end. Glen also made a passing comment to Sally about thinking of her like a little sister. Is MW about to reveal that Glen is Don's love child???

Last edited by mge457 : 06-05-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo
mge457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #47
Great White Mark
Regular

*****************spoiler

2) Weird vibes from Glen (MWs son). The show really drew some psychological and physical similarities between him and Don at the end. Glen also made a passing comment to Sally about thinking of her like a little sister. Is MW about to reveal that Glen is Don's love child??

You got weird vibes from Glen cuz he's a weird perv who has mommy infatuation. A couple seasons ago he was "stalking" betty and exposed himself to her. Now he has a new infatuation in meghan. the previews for next week show an angry meghan saying "i can hear you breathing" into the phone.

Clearly Glen up to his old tricks. I actually knew a kid growing up who pulled this **** w a neighbohood mom. its real.
Great White Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #48
mge457
Regular

Interesting season finale, but didn't really feel like one. Really liked the end + final song (You Only Live Twice by Nancy Sinatra).

*****Spoiler

Thought they would have had Don ask Peggy to recommend Megan for something (PM's new lady cigarettes perhaps?). This would have avoided the bias issue, but made Megan feel like she really earned it, while generating future storylines as that product potentially grows (nice conflict there).

Also are they just Sterling Cooper Draper? Or Sterling Cooper Draper Cambell? (assuming Pete is next inline for his name on the door).

Final question - will Don say he's alone (and cheat) or stay faithful?

Personally, I think he reverts to 'Old Don' as he didn't look real happy walking away from that soundstage. Also ordering the old fashioned took me right back to Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Pilot).

Last edited by mge457 : 06-11-2012 at 04:36 AM.
mge457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #49
NikeeGoddess
User

to me, he seemed satisfied when he walked away. his wife finally got something she wanted, pampered with hair, makeup, and cameras.

this is only my 3rd episode and no it didn't seem like a seasonal finale. that cliffhanger was kinda lame. but if that what draper was all about then a cheating he will go! it's so common anyway. why not? he should take them both. and b/c his wife just got what she wanted then she won't even notice the sweet perfumed smell of two ladies on him.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #50
HLTassin
Regular

Did anyone happen to watch it on DISH? And if so, did you find it infuriating when the "keepamctv" campaigne kept breaking in with urgent pleas to call DISH re: the cancellation of our favorite AMC shows??

I did my duty a few weeks ago, but really, to break in constantly? And during the season FINALE? Really???