Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
jboffer

Default Project Greenlight Season 4

So, who all is watching?

I'm excited the show is back, and with a new format. And how it predictably all went to hell within the first episode. Every trope we read about in the industry seems to manifest itself in this show.

This director might be crazy, but from the little we know I love the guy. The description of the script sounded horrendous, so it was good to see them pick a director who wasn't afraid at all to call that out.

It'll still probably result in a train wreck, but should be fun.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
wildswan
Regular

Default Re: Project Greenlight Season 4

PG is back?!? OMG, I'm so out of it, I had no idea.

Thanks for the heads-up, jboffer! Gotta tune in for this...
wildswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
jboffer

Haha, yup. Back on HBO after 10 years. Started this last Sunday.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
MrDealHD
User

Awesome!
Old 09-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
nDanger
User

I can't believe Matt Damon's comments regarding diversity have garnered so much backlash. People are taking the comments way out of context.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to more of the show. The director they chose wouldn't be my first pick. Seems extremely pretentious. I've worked with people like that before and it can be very difficult.
nDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
Rhodi

I'm surprised that, given he is a producer on the show, Damon left his comments in as they did come across poorly in my opinion.

I think his fundamental point was that the competition did not have a diversity component as one of its initial criteria and, therefore, it would be unfair to those that entered on this basis to change the assessment process at the end to include this consideration.

His "casting the show/casting the movie" comment also sounded like a universal declaration, but I think he meant to apply it very specifically to this project.

There could be some questions asked about why filmmaker diversity wasn't considered from the beginning especially given the nature of the script in question. Plus, surely it would make better "reality" television to see the challenges that someone from a diverse background faces within the industry.

Anyway, the show definitely offers a fascinating and informative insight and I'll be watching with interest.
Rhodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
kintnerboy

The first screenplay I ever wrote was for PG season one.

It was awful, but not as poorly written as the feedback I gave some other poor slob.

I think Matt is a little shell-shocked by what's happened to the internet in between Project Greenlight 3.0 and 4.0.

What I don't understand is why anyone in Hollywood (but especially white males) would reach out or engage with wanna-be's on any level, whether its Matt and Ben trying to discover new filmmakers on their tv show or Colin Tevorrow engaging some angry feminist nobody on Twitter.

You can't win, and literally anything you say is the wrong answer. Matt is now being attacked because his apology didn't go far enough.

Why even bother?
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
finalact4

I'm so happy it's back.

I was disheartened that the director wanted to fire the writer without even meeting with him to discuss his vision.

I mean, you give someone an opportunity they didn't have a minute ago, and the first thing they want to do is take an opportunity away from someone else that 'everyone' on the team has already agreed should be there?

Blows the mind.

Can't wait for the next episode...
Old 09-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #9
Southern_land

For those of you who've seen Happy-ish their chosen director reminded me of the Swedish gurus from that.
Still if they'd selected the best director we might get a decent movie and a rubbish TV program, lets face it, that was never their intention.

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
jboffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
I was disheartened that the director wanted to fire the writer without even meeting with him to discuss his vision.
True.

Maybe he watched season 1 or had otherwise been following the writer's career. I know my gut instinct would be he's not the right fit for the kind of humor we've seen from the director, but it's probably unfair just to toss him aside without a real conversation.