Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
JoeBanks

Default Re: I, Tonya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
As for that link you posted: 'Harding maintained that she never agreed to or knew about her ex-husband Jeff Gillooly’s plan to go after Kerrigan, but she admitted, "I did, however, overhear them talking about stuff, where, ‘Well, maybe we should take somebody out so we can make sure she gets on the team.' And I remember telling them, I go, ‘What the hell are you talking about? I can skate. This was, like, a month or two months before [the attack]"..........she still gets “angry” because “nobody wanted to ever believe” that she had nothing to do with it'" [/color]
so she admits she knew they were planning "something" and still did nothing about it (because "I can skate," so obviously she knew the "something" was not a benign scheme in progress) **** her. Nancy Kerrigan is the only victim in this story.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #12
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
so she admits she knew they were planning "something" and still did nothing about it (because "I can skate," so obviously she knew the "something" was not a benign scheme in progress) **** her. Nancy Kerrigan is the only victim in this story.
And she was to do what exactly? Call the cops with 'hey I don't know what's going on, who they're talking about, or what they're thinking, but my serial-liar husband and his deluded friend, who lives is his mum's basement yet thinks he leads an international spy ring, are talking about 'taking someone out of the team, possibly my skating team, I dunno'?

You think that's enough to go to the cops with? When she knows all it's going to achieve is yet another vicious beating from her husband?

As has been noted, both her ex and the dreamer denied she knew anything. They never wavered, not even when ruled by fear and anger amidst the interrogations and court cases. Yet you're gonna dismiss all this and override the FBI because, well, you just wanna? Okay....

I gotta let you go...

'Cause now you've got to fly
(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
And flowers bloom in your name

Last edited by SundownInRetreat : 01-23-2018 at 05:57 PM.
SundownInRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #13
SundownInRetreat

BTW, Kerrigan was the only victim?

She was unjustly awarded a silver medal out of sympathy. Meanwhile Harding was banned for life in an unprecedented move that no one saw coming, when there was no evidence she had knowledge or participation in the attack, whilst the perpetrators only got two years.

That's a strange definition of 'only victim'.

I gotta let you go...

(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
Old 01-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #14
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
And she was to do what exactly? Call the cops with 'hey I don't know what's going on, who they're talking about, or what they're thinking, but my serial-liar husband and his deluded friend, who lives is his mum's basement yet thinks he leads an international spy ring, are talking about 'taking someone out of the team, possibly my skating team, I dunno'?

You think that's enough to go to the cops with? When she knows all it's going to achieve is yet another vicious beating from her husband?

As has been noted, both her ex and the dreamer denied she knew anything. They never wavered, not even when ruled by fear and anger amidst the interrogations and court cases. Yet you're gonna dismiss all this and override the FBI because, well, you just wanna? Okay....
if i hear anyone, familiar or not, talking about how they need to "take someone out" yes. people don't talk about "taking someone out" unless they mean to do them bodily harm or even worse. at the very least, she could have done more to nip whatever they were planning in the bud.

and to say Kerrigan was unjustly awarded the silver ignores the fact that she was kneecapped one month before the Olympics and wasn't even skating at full strength. the fact that she could even get on the ice at that point was amazing enough.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #15
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
if i hear anyone, familiar or not, talking about how they need to "take someone out" yes.
So she tells the cops, they do nothing, she goes home to a thrashing. Maybe several. I'm stunned at your lack of empathy for victims of abuse and if you watched the film instead of taking a peculiar moral stance you'd see why she didn't trust the police.

By all accounts, all she knew was that hubby planned to send a threatening letter in retaliation to Nancy's. She didn't like it but gets knocked about when she stands up to him and has no one to turn to yet you still think she's a villain who deserved what she got? You don't think she's a victim too? Or at the least, human - guilty of fear, naivety, bad judgement - and doesn't deserve a life sentence?

Even if you insist, for whatever reason, that she is 100% guilty then fine, she goes to jail and misses the Olympics. That's justice. Being stripped of previous titles and hit with an unprecedented life ban, that staggered everyone in the sport, is not.

Quote:
and to say Kerrigan was unjustly awarded the silver ignores the fact that she was kneecapped one month before the Olympics and wasn't even skating at full strength. the fact that she could even get on the ice at that point was amazing enough.
It doesn't ignore anything. You win Olympic medals, you don't get them out of sympathy. The only thing getting back on the ice quickly deserves is kudos.

I guess we're just gonna have to disagree on this but you should still watch the film for entertainment and education purposes. I get it, you don't like her. I don't like Jordan Belfort but The Wolf of Wall Street is a phenomenal film, nonetheless.

I gotta let you go...

(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart

Last edited by SundownInRetreat : 01-23-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:57 AM   #16
JoeBanks

https://deadspin.com/how-much-sympat...rve-1822095036
Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #17
SundownInRetreat

How to properly price your product
Quote:
Which answers nothing of what I've put to you nor why you should avoid an excellent film and education in screenwriting.

Look, this is not a matter of martyring Harding. I'm just saying there's more to this than simple one-dimensional villainy, that her claim to not knowing of the attack has never been denied by those who do know and who have the most to gain from implicating her, and that she was punished far in excess - judicially and socially - of what was deserved.

I'm saying she was a lifelong victim of mental and physical abuse from the only two options she had: her mother and husband and your article states this was captured in two separate documentaries.

I'm saying that with all this in mind she deserves being approached with an open mind.

Interestingly, the article states: Asking how much blame Harding should bear for the attack on Kerrigan is different than asking whether, regardless of her complicity in the planning, she should be allowed to move on from this decades-old crime. Even if Harding was the mastermind of the whole thing, it’s been 24 years and she certainly has been punished. I don’t believe in life sentences for most crimes. This one is no exception'. Yet despite a solid reason as to why, you think otherwise. Yet despite no solid reason why, you choose to think otherwise.

I gotta let you go...

(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
Old 01-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #18
bmcthomas

The discussion is getting too far afield (and I am guilty of contributing to it as well). Let's stick to the movie rather than guilt or innocence or who should have won a medal 24 years ago.
bmcthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #19
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcthomas View Post
The discussion is getting too far afield (and I am guilty of contributing to it as well). Let's stick to the movie rather than guilt or innocence or who should have won a medal 24 years ago.
Agreed. Whether the film changes or emboldens your opinion, it's an excellent film and I liked the breaking of the 4th wall.

I gotta let you go...

(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
Old 10-20-2019, 04:35 AM   #20
Merrick
User

Just watched this. A good opening that builds and builds until the halfway point. I was totally enthralled by then. But it loses its footing, pacing, tone and goes overlong afterwards.

Regardless, this was a good movie. I just wish it had continued to focus on Tonya instead of on the "event." To be honest, the "event" was not as interesting as her story.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote