Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 12:50 AM   #211
Friday
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 534
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Franklin Leonard threads are like Terminator movies. They'll just keep remaking them. It will go on forever.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #212
GhostWhite
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 91
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

From an article posted 7/23 by Scott Myers on the Go Into the Story blog (official screenwriting blog of The Black list)

"Then there were the online writing communities where people could congregate on message boards and share thoughts and insights about the craft. The two mentioned in the email I received — Trigger Street and Done Deal Pro — were extremely active for many years.

What happened?

Most sites have either disappeared or gone fallow. Mystery Man on Film supposedly died. Kid in the Front Row went on hiatus. The Bitter Script Reader posts occasionally on his blog. Trigger Street shut down. Done Deal Pro closed its message boards."

It did? I was away from screenwriting for a while, but I don't recall this happening.
GhostWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #213
Done Deal Pro
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,596
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWhite View Post
Most sites have either disappeared or gone fallow. Mystery Man on Film supposedly died. Kid in the Front Row went on hiatus. The Bitter Script Reader posts occasionally on his blog. Trigger Street shut down. Done Deal Pro closed its message boards."

It did? I was away from screenwriting for a while, but I don't recall this happening.
No. We never closed. There was a point where I had to look at closing them down due to the costs of hosting; but the community pushed to raise funds and were most kind & generous to donate a year's worth of hosting fees to keep all going. That got the forums over the hump. All worked out.
__________________
Will
Done Deal Pro
www.donedealpro.com
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #214
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

i know a lot of people have had negative experiences in the past on The Black List. and i am in no way disputing their experiences. it's hard no matter which path you take.

but, i just got off the phone with a producer that saw my spec on the black list and read the reviews. he said, "the scores were pretty high so I thought I should read it."

he contacted me through Linked In directly-- which i respect a lot, asking ii i was the "Lisa" that wrote (blah, blah) i said yes, and sent him the spec.

he loves it. i mean, full of energy and all out passion for it. he wants to produce it and thinks he can get it made. he's legit. we're going out to financiers next week. he thinks we can attract top talent for the main characters.

i've been down this road before. it's far, far, far, from close to happening, but today is a good day.

everyone's path is different. my only point, is that even if it seems futile, you still have to do everything you can to make your dreams a reality. if that means you choose to continue to host your script on the black list even though you're not on the top lists, then do it.

for those, like me, that need the occasional pep talk--

don't give up.
__________________
TIP OF THE DAY: do not touch your nose or eyes after eating fresh jalapeños.

Last edited by finalact4 : 07-25-2019 at 12:03 PM.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #215
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
i know a lot of people have had negative experiences in the past on The Black List. and i am in no way disputing their experiences. it's hard no matter which path you take.

but, i just got off the phone with a producer that saw my spec on the black list and read the reviews. he said, "the scores were pretty high so I thought I should read it."

he contacted me through Linked In directly-- which i respect a lot, asking ii i was the "Lisa" that wrote (blah, blah) i said yes, and sent him the spec.

he loves it. i mean, full of energy and all out passion for it. he wants to produce it and thinks he can get it made. he's legit. we're going out to financiers next week. he thinks we can attract top talent for the main characters.

i've been down this road before. it's far, far, far, from close to happening, but today is a good day.

everyone's path is different. my only point, is that even if it seems futile, you still have to do everything you can to make your dreams a reality. if that means you choose to continue to host your script on the black list even though you're not on the top lists, then do it.

for those, like me, that need the occasional pep talk--

don't give up.
Is this the same producer you asked about in another thread or a second producer? Either way - congrats. But I'm pretty sure this was all you from sending out your work. No doubt, someone you queried the script to, mentioned it to producer (if you didn't directly query this person) and that's how "they found you."

Just seems like too much of a coincidence that you are querying with Tracker and now he finds it after it was there for a long time... right?

My point is this was your doing not the BL.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:38 PM   #216
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Is this the same producer you asked about in another thread or a second producer? Either way - congrats. But I'm pretty sure this was all you from sending out your work. No doubt, someone you queried the script to, mentioned it to producer (if you didn't directly query this person) and that's how "they found you."

Just seems like too much of a coincidence that you are querying with Tracker and now he finds it after it was there for a long time... right?

My point is this was your doing not the BL.
thank you, Strangerthanfiction, i appreciate the good vibes!

Bono, yes it is the same. the call went great. and you're probably right.

it might have been because it was on the Twitter #WGAspeclist that Gary Graham sent around, and then he saw the black list reviews. it was an exciting call.

very exciting. again.
__________________
TIP OF THE DAY: do not touch your nose or eyes after eating fresh jalapeños.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #217
catcon
Member
 
catcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

I had a script request too, 12 days ago, via LinkedIn; wonder if it was the same producer? No matter, yours originally saw your work on the BL, right? This just goes to prove one of my assertions that, in their search for material, these people look all over the place. Good!
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #218
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

After hearing your approach, I agree with Bono. Doubtful it was TBL. IMO.

I mean, why would he even need to request the script from you directly if it was TBL. Or do I not understand how TBL works?
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #219
lostfootage
Regular
 
lostfootage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 432
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
After hearing your approach, I agree with Bono. Doubtful it was TBL. IMO.

I mean, why would he even need to request the script from you directly if it was TBL. Or do I not understand how TBL works?
A couple of years ago, I posted a script on the TBL that had been an Austin finalist years ago. It got a couple of 8s (before it got lower scores) and was part of the email blast. A lower level producer read it and gave me some feedback. He said it wasn't right for him, but told me he thought somebody would pick it up and wanted me to know that. And that's where it ended.

So producers do read scripts they find on TBL and do contact people, but it's a long shot. I think the Twitter blasts of Gary Graham are probably more effective. That guy has a lot of energy!
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #220
kintnerboy
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,488
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

A couple of days ago I noticed that the 2 most highly rated scripts on the BL were by the same writer.

I also noticed that neither script had a reader endorsement or any written reviews. Instead, each script had only 3 identical ratings from industry members -- (2) 10's and a 9.

I'm not really good at math, but the odds of such a sudden, simultaneous coincidence must be very many odds.

Anyway, so this was obviously an instance of someone using their industry contacts to game the system, which happens more often than you think, but usually not with such balls out not-care-ity (why 10's instead of 8's??... why 2 scripts at the same time?? It's like they WANTED to get caught).

I was all ready to come here and write an angry rant about the Blacklist scoring system (it truly is the only thing that bugs me about the service. Reader reviews should weigh much more heavily in a scripts rating than some random industry person)

but then I noticed today that the BL has taken away all 3 ratings from each script, disappearing them into the oblivion that is the Blacklist script database

and so I must instead commend them for doing the right thing, and doing it quickly.

My faith in the BL is 57% restored.
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker