Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #41
NikeeGoddess
User

Default Re: Book Of Eli

Quote:
Mr. Whitta must have been beside himself with excitement when he received the call that Denzel and Oldman had signed on. What a dream cast for any writer, let alone a first-timer!
you got that right. i would have jumped up and down so high i would have broken my neck on the ceiling.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #42
instant_karma

Saw it. Liked it.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #43
bioprofessor

Just saw it this morning (10 am) with my wife. Total of eight of us (not bad for the am) in a huge theatre. We liked it a lot. Good story.

When we walked out of the theatre, it was 20 F, bright sun, about a 40 mph wind, a few salt-caked cars in the barren parking lot... felt like we'd just entered Eli's world.
bioprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #44
joe9alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnlra View Post
I was under the impression that there was another writer who worked on this-- even tho Gary got sole credit.

Maybe I'm thinking of another movie...

Anybody know for sure?
Anthony Peckham.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #45
Tsinogatorp Eht
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuy View Post
Hated it. It couldn't make up it's mind what kind of movie it was. The ending dragged on and on.
Wow. I finally saw this in a European theater. Thought the same thing. Luckily for the explosions and gunfights, I had something to wake me up.
Tsinogatorp Eht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #46
cupertinoCA
Regular

i haven't seen this movie but the script is just great.
cupertinoCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #47
Telly

I finally caught this last night.

Overall I give it 2 out of 5 stars. It should have starred Kirk Cameron so I would have known what I was getting into. Actually, I should have known since the one autograph I got from Denzell said, "God Bless" with no autograph. Awesome, thanks.

*MINOR SPOILERS*

Anyway, my biggest concern was the lack of antagonist or conflict. I mean, once Eli decimated Gary Oldman's first round of men I was like, okay, so now what? Oh, Gary throws out his bench players? Well, if Eli can smoke his main dudes in two seconds, what chance do his bench players have? It was like, every time they came at him, he whacked everyone in two seconds.

Then it was just 60 year-old Oldman and his right hand man who clearly didn't really want to kill Eli anyway! So, we have this gimp who "really wants the book" verse this super-powered ninja. Big deal. I mean, the chick with zero skills managed to wipe out half of Gary's men and his vehicles in one minute flat, sending Gary back home with his tail between his legs because they were "out of gas". Ridiculous. And why did his henchman have this sudden interest in having the girl? They NEVER developed that enough, nor even touched on it before or after he was whacked. Weird.

The end was retarded.

Sorry, this one made me mad. I wanted so much much more. I love this genre and hate when people screw it up so we don't get many more whacks at it for a while.

EDITED: I just realized what bothered me the most. There was zero character arch. Eli had one objective and it NEVER wavered for a moment. He never questioned his goal nor did he run into any critical moments that could have altered that goal internally. It verified how important it is to have that moment where your protag questions everything, or runs into a cross-roads of sorts where he dives in and there's no turning back. In this film, he made that decision way before the film began. So what? We want to be there when he comes to these crossroads, it's how we become connected and involved. It's how we care. I have no emotional connection to man who shows me zero internal turmoil and gets EVERYTHING he wants with little conflict or barrier the entire way through. Sheesh, he even tells us twice that he's been told by God he'll live and achieve his goal. Well then, what the hell am I doing finishing this film?

Terrible.

Last edited by Telly : 06-25-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #48
Jules

Is this heavily religious, Telly?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #49
Fortean

Default Remake?

Has anyone, here, who has seen this film, (or read the screenplay), also seen the ZAITOICHI films?

Is this not simply a post-apocalypse American version?
Fortean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #50
nathanq

Default Re: Remake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortean View Post
Has anyone, here, who has seen this film, (or read the screenplay), also seen the ZAITOICHI films?

Is this not simply a post-apocalypse American version?
I've seen the Zatochi films, and if I were to compare them to The Book of Eli, would greatly insult the Zatochi films. The Zatochi films were actually good, and not some evangelical garbage.
nathanq is offline   Reply With Quote