Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Xnod
Regular

Default Re: Ninja Assassin

Did anyone else feel this had a better horror atmosphere than about 95% of Hollywood horrors released in the last few years? I don't know if it was intentional, but I saw the Ninja's as a force comparible to Predator and/or Aliens. You could easily cut the trailer to make a survival horror

Don't get me wrong, the film was trash, but it had some atmosphere which Hollywood has been missing for years (watch foreign horrors for atmosphere).

I'd like to see McTeigue have a shot at a horror.
Xnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
lordmanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno Styles View Post
i saw it. thought it was a decent popcorn flick. i knew what to expect and didnt go in with high expectations due to all the not so great word of mouth. every single minute of this was cliche. you could literally guess what was going to happen scene after scene. just wanted to see some action and it had some cool fighting scenes...i've never seen so much digital blood in my life in a studio picture. that made it a little lame.
if its anything like the amount of crappy digital blood in Blood: the last vampire, i really dont want to watch it anymore.
lordmanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
Grandmaster

Oh, DUDE, don't get me started on Blood.
Actually, the CGI "gore" in that film was forgivable as it made the creatures seems somehow more, well, demonic, but the CGI blood in Fatal Move (since we're now discussing Asian films too), was BS.
Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Sinnycal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai Lo View Post
Terrible crap. Wins the Redundant Title of the Year award though.
I know you made this post like five years ago, but the title isn't actually redundant.

It isn't ninja assassin as in "a ninja who is an assassin."

It's ninja assassin as in "an assassin who kills ninjas."
Sinnycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
RyanJackson

I think some people are expecting too much from a ninja movie. IT'S A NINJA MOVIE. It's not a historical drama with social commentary. Ninja Assassin is what it's supposed to be. No more. No less.

Sinister Scrawlings
RyanJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #16
RyanJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitas View Post
JMO, but I'll tell you why I disagree with this line of thinking. To execute something really brilliant and successful, Matrix for example, you have to rise above expectations, not just meet them. You have to create something so compelling, that everyone, not just fans of the said genre, will leave their home theaters and kids will put away their video games to show up to a theater opening weekend.

I love ninjas. I even had claws when I was a kid. But Ninja Assassin failed on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.
Fair enough. But answer me this, what would be an example of a ninja movie that rises above the expectations in your opinion?

Also Ninja Assassain did succeed on one important level. It was a movie about ninjas, an R-rated one at that, that got a major release in theaters across the globe.

Ultimately ninja movies are critic proof, and expecting anything more than a popcorn movie going into Ninja Assassain is just retarded IMO.

I think using the first Matrix film as an example is not fair, because there was nothing like The Matrix when it came out. There was no frame of reference. There was no expectations. With a ninja movie the expectations going in are it's going to be mindless fun. A guilty pleasure good or bad.

BTW You had the claws too!! I did too as a kid! Those were awesome. I think I'm going to dig out the rubber numchucks for old times sake.

Sinister Scrawlings
Old 03-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #17
gravitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJackson View Post
Fair enough. But answer me this, what would be an example of a ninja movie that rises above the expectations in your opinion?

Also Ninja Assassain did succeed on one important level. It was a movie about ninjas, an R-rated one at that, that got a major release in theaters across the globe.

Ultimately ninja movies are critic proof, and expecting anything more than a popcorn movie going into Ninja Assassain is just retarded IMO.

I think using the first Matrix film as an example is not fair, because there was nothing like The Matrix when it came out. There was no frame of reference. There was no expectations. With a ninja movie the expectations going in are it's going to be mindless fun. A guilty pleasure good or bad.

BTW You had the claws too!! I did too as a kid! Those were awesome. I think I'm going to dig out the rubber numchucks for old times sake.
Okay Ryan, I can tell I'm going to have a tough time swaying you, but how does Ninja Assassin stack up to Kill Bill?

And Matrix was an action film. It's a perfect example of a film that rose above critical expectations for its genre.
gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #18
RyanJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitas View Post
Okay Ryan, I can tell I'm going to have a tough time swaying you, but how does Ninja Assassin stack up to Kill Bill?

And Matrix was an action film. It's a perfect example of a film that rose above critical expectations for its genre.
Kill Bill is not a ninja movie. True both Ninja Assassain and Kill Bill are both Martial Arts films, but ninja films are a sub-genre of the Martial Arts genre. In respect to Kill Bill, it's a Tarantino film, and Tarantino films have become a sub-genre in their own right.

The Matrix is a Science Fiction film first. Yes it can be accurately classified as an Sci Fi/Action film, but it is no doubt Science Fiction first and foremost. So the critical expectations for a Science Fiction film are much higher. When you make a Science Fiction film it will be measured by great films such as Kubrick's 2001, or Blade Runner. Now when you make a ninja movie the bar is what? American Ninja? Shadow Of The Ninja? See what I'm saying? The bar is set very low in reguards to this specific sub- genre. It's a guilty pleasure sub-genre. Ninja Assassain is an exploitation movie disguised as a budget Hollywood movie really.

You have to know what type of film it is going into it. I think a lot of people are placing unrealistc expectations on this movie when they level their criticisms on it. I mean it is, what it is.

Sinister Scrawlings
Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
Xnod
Regular

The Matrix is all setting, you take it away and the Matrix is nothing but a laughable chosen one cliche. Yes, I'm one of those people who thought Dark City was superior to the Matrix...

Anyway, Kill Bill for the win!

Ninja Scroll is the only good ninja movie that comes to mind when I think about ninjas. But I think Ninja's suffer from the same thing that Zombies do, the serious factor -- no one takes them seriously. Everyone is waiting for a film to raise the bar, there's hope that World War Z will do it, we'll have to wait and see.

Either way, Ninja Assassin didn't raise the bar.
Xnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #20
Why One

Best ninja out there is... Naruto!
Why One is offline   Reply With Quote