Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Writr
User

Default SmokeHouse Pictures

Does anyone know if they have a website? Or their email structure? I know about the company and who the creative exec is but I can't find any website or email info. I've googled like crazy and search the Whois domain database with no luck.

Thanks for any help.
Writr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
catcon

Default Re: SmokeHouse Pictures

Check the second post at Using WhoIs and Google and you'll get one approach to try.

TIP: When Whois doesn't bring up anything, don't give up!

eg. for "Such and Such Productions", try "Such and Such Prods", and for "Such and Such Entertainment", try "Such and Such Ent", and for "Such and Such Pictures", try "Such and Such Pics" or even "Pix".

So, for Smoke House Pictures, try ... See what ya get!

Once you get a valid domain, there doesn't even need to be a website for you to move to the next stage and hunt for email addresses (and thus, their likely email structure)
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Writr
User

Thanks for the suggestions. I had read your Whois post a few weeks ago and was already using your tips . I did find what I think is the correct domain name, but there's no info in the whois at all. Nothing about what individual registered it or an attorney, and no registration state. The only thing listed was the registrar, which is Godaddy. So I went to Godady to find the whois info and still nothing.

I'll keep trying. But if anyone knows, please share . I know that SmokeHouse had a 2-year first look deal with Sony in 2009, so perhaps they have email through them?

Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
writenowdude
User

I'd just call. You'd be surprised what happens when you call an assistant and ask your question. If you're not repped, you can always have a lawyer send your stuff if they request it. So... call =)

SMOKE HOUSE

Company Information
Bio: Two-year first-look development and production deal with Sony Pictures Entertainment, running August 2009 through August 2011. (6/09) Represented by CAA.

Addresses
12001 Ventura Place Suite 200
Studio City, CA*91604
United States

Main: (818) 432-0330
Fax: (818) 432-0337

Staff List

EMPLOYEES
View Employees View All Credits View Box Office
Name
Title
George Clooney
Partner

Grant Heslov
Partner

Nina Wolarsky
Senior Vice President

Alex Meenehan
Creative Executive

Katie Murphy
Assistant (Grant Heslov)

Kevin Reeves
Assistant (Nina Wolarsky)
writenowdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writr View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I had read your Whois post a few weeks ago and was already using your tips . I did find what I think is the correct domain name, but there's no info in the whois at all. Nothing about what individual registered it or an attorney, and no registration state. The only thing listed was the registrar, which is Godaddy. So I went to Godady to find the whois info and still nothing.

I'll keep trying. But if anyone knows, please share . I know that SmokeHouse had a 2-year first look deal with Sony in 2009, so perhaps they have email through them?

Thanks again.
No, the "whois" and lawyer thing was specific to that example. Usually, the key is right after you find the domain, go right to google and do a "@domanname.com" search. The "quotes" have to be around the @domainname.com, otherwise it won't find email addresses.

You just have to dig, that's all. You said you knew names already, so all you need is the structure.

(Incidentally, Meenehan isn't there any longer)
Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Writr
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writenowdude View Post
I'd just call. You'd be surprised what happens when you call an assistant and ask your question. If you're not repped, you can always have a lawyer send your stuff if they request it. So... call =)

SMOKE HOUSE

Company Information
Bio: Two-year first-look development and production deal with Sony Pictures Entertainment, running August 2009 through August 2011. (6/09) Represented by CAA.

Addresses
12001 Ventura Place Suite 200
Studio City, CA*91604
United States

Main: (818) 432-0330
Fax: (818) 432-0337

Staff List

EMPLOYEES
View Employees View All Credits View Box Office
Name
Title
George Clooney
Partner

Grant Heslov
Partner

Nina Wolarsky
Senior Vice President

Alex Meenehan
Creative Executive

Katie Murphy
Assistant (Grant Heslov)

Kevin Reeves
Assistant (Nina Wolarsky)
Thanks for the info! There's a few names I didn't know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
No, the "whois" and lawyer thing was specific to that example. Usually, the key is right after you find the domain, go right to google and do a "@domanname.com" search. The "quotes" have to be around the @domainname.com, otherwise it won't find email addresses.

You just have to dig, that's all. You said you knew names already, so all you need is the structure.

(Incidentally, Meenehan isn't there any longer)
I did try the using quotes in google with the domain and the @ sign but no luck either.

And thanks for the heads up about Meenehan. That's who I was going to direct the email to. Guess I'll have to find out who the creative exec is now or direct it to an assistant or maybe higher up.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writr View Post
I did try the using quotes in google with the domain and the @ sign but no luck either...
You are just unlucky, timing-wise. I found alex@ (when Meenehan was there) from such a search back in December, possibly off something as obscure as a conference attendance that was showing up on Google at that time.

However, what does alex@ suggest about the email naming convention!?
A-ha!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Writr
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
You are just unlucky, timing-wise. I found alex@ (when Meenehan was there) from such a search back in December, possibly off something as obscure as a conference attendance that was showing up on Google at that time.

However, what does alex@ suggest about the email naming convention!?
A-ha!
Reading you loud and clear good buddy!

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Doug Bremner
User

I just cold called them (felt like I was back in high school) and they said they had a strict policy of only taking things through agents. Said it was a strict policy "from the top". (i.e. George I guess). Nice guy though.
Doug Bremner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
ddlogan
User

Thumbs down Re: SmokeHouse Pictures

That's funny how assistants like to claim that bs so called rule. Unsolicited is really that they didn't request it, see how they add and twist it. People do whatever they want. I just recently went into a court legal setting, what a play I say.
ddlogan is offline   Reply With Quote