Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
hdmdc
User

Default Pitch Document

I just had a company request a script summary and a pitch document. Does anyone know what a "Pitch Document" is?

Thanks.
hdmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
NikeeGoddess
User

Default Re: Pitch Document

my guess is anything you have to support your project. ie - movie poster or dvd cover image, short trailer, or attachments, etc...
check this out: http://www.moviehatch.com/index.php/...re-movies.html
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
hdmdc
User

Thanks. It makes sense.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
HomerS3
User

Is this a film or TV show? A request for a "pitch document" is usually just that, a pitch of the property in typed form. Admittedly, it would be odd for this to be a feature with an existing script and for them to be requesting such a thing...
HomerS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
BattleDolphinZero

It's whatever you make of it.

And it sucks.

I advise this structure...

1. Tone "this movie will have a tone similar to (name sample movies). The tone is awesome because (say why it's awesome)."

2. Logline or story summary. Should be a bit longer than a traditional logline so that you can get in A) what's gonna happen, B) who it's gonna happen to, C) why it's emotionally compelling. NOTE: Doesn't have to be in that order.

3. Short character summaries. Make your characters sound awesome, write down the compelling emotional elements of what happens to them in this story. Do NOT write it in detail. You can say sh!t like, "Luke Skywalker is fundementally a farm boy who has to take on the entire empire, so he doubts himself. And if he caves under pressure, he'll lose his girl and the universe too. Subciosciously he's never believed in his abilities and this story has him confront that insecurity head on. On top of that, he'll discover the man he's trying to kill is his father"

The character summaries should be a short-cut to what's gonna be compelling about your broader document so that you don't ever get bogged down in detail.

4. Then the longer story/plot summary. The shorter the better. (mine are usually 2 or 3pgs.)

I try to keep these things around 4pgs total. Because they're compartmentalized it's usually an effective way to cover more ground.
BattleDolphinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
AnotherCaucasianGary
Regular

Great approach, BDZ.

Documents that aren't actual screenplay pages always trip me up.
AnotherCaucasianGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
gdubs
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
It's whatever you make of it.

And it sucks.

I advise this structure...

1. Tone "this movie will have a tone similar to (name sample movies). The tone is awesome because (say why it's awesome)."

2. Logline or story summary. Should be a bit longer than a traditional logline so that you can get in A) what's gonna happen, B) who it's gonna happen to, C) why it's emotionally compelling. NOTE: Doesn't have to be in that order.

3. Short character summaries. Make your characters sound awesome, write down the compelling emotional elements of what happens to them in this story. Do NOT write it in detail. You can say sh!t like, "Luke Skywalker is fundementally a farm boy who has to take on the entire empire, so he doubts himself. And if he caves under pressure, he'll lose his girl and the universe too. Subciosciously he's never believed in his abilities and this story has him confront that insecurity head on. On top of that, he'll discover the man he's trying to kill is his father"

The character summaries should be a short-cut to what's gonna be compelling about your broader document so that you don't ever get bogged down in detail.

4. Then the longer story/plot summary. The shorter the better. (mine are usually 2 or 3pgs.)

I try to keep these things around 4pgs total. Because they're compartmentalized it's usually an effective way to cover more ground.
Hey BDZ --

Do you use this pitch doc template as a template for your verbal pitch as well?
gdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
ReneC

Great advice from BDZ, as usual. Keep it to five pages or less. 3 or 4 is ideal.

Written pitches are far more difficult than ones you deliver in person. You have to convey all your excitement and energy into those few pages and present a solid, leak-proof case. Everything you write can and will be interpreted differently by different people, so you have to be clear and concise. The worst part is you're handing over your entire pitch in detail which can be read over and over again, pondered over, discussed at length, and every point decided upon without any further input from you. A mis-step can mean disaster, just as a really well-written pitch can be a big boost for you.

Not trying to scare you or anything, especially if you're being asked for one. I'm just sharing what I've learned, having gone through this a couple of times already. A few execs pointed out how difficult written pitches can be and it's true. I'd much rather stand up and deliver my pitch instead of agonizing over perfecting every word, but sometimes that's the only choice.

Good luck with yours!
ReneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
hdmdc
User

Thanks for the information. It's a feature. We never had anyone ask for this before.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
BattleDolphinZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdubs View Post
Hey BDZ --

Do you use this pitch doc template as a template for your verbal pitch as well?
No, verbals are totally different for me.

Pitch docs are fvcked because, obviously, you can't adjust or use personality. In a verbal if someone is confused you can fix it on the spot, with docs you have to be clear which often = boring.
BattleDolphinZero is offline   Reply With Quote