Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
iggy

Default The Quest - Scott Myers - Contest/Course

http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...tml#more-25230

Scott Myers is offering up to 4 writers a free, 6-month intensive course in screenwriting.

However, it's not really free because you must agree that he can attach as Producer on the script you write during the course.

He usually charges $1995 for this course.

Assuming the course is worth $1995, is that an even trade for the value he gains by being a Producer.

I've read any non A-list attachments hurt a script.

Is he an A-list attachment? Would he bring so much added value to your script beyond $1995?

He is only looking for high-concept loglines.

If a writer can come up with a high-concept logline on their own, are they better off writing the script on their own and trying to query reps with it?

Or, is he offering a great, one of a kind opportunity?

Thanks.
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: The Quest - Scott Myers - Contest/Course

i love Scott's website but the attachment condition is a dealbreaker for me. and if, presumably, i'm at the point in my writing that i could come up with a saleable concept and execute that concept in a draft that would be good enough for Scott to attach himself and take out, i don't know that i need to be in this program to do that.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
lostfootage
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
i love Scott's website but the attachment condition is a dealbreaker for me. and if, presumably, i'm at the point in my writing that i could come up with a saleable concept and execute that concept in a draft that would be good enough for Scott to attach himself and take out, i don't know that i need to be in this program to do that.
What Joe said.

Scott Myers is a really nice, positive guy. This sounds like a good program for someone new to screenwriting who hasn't taken many classes and has finished one, maybe two scripts. For someone at that level, it sounds like a fair trade. I have a friend who finished one script but over the past two years, has tried to finish other scripts and gets stuck at the 40-page mark. I'm recommending she throw her hat in the ring.

For the writers' sake, I wish he wouldn't make the condition that he's attached as producer. Rather, how about a 10% cut if the script is sold? Something like that so his attachment doesn't hurt a project if it's viable.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
christopher jon

Quote:
This sounds like a good program for someone new to screenwriting who hasn't taken many classes and has finished one, maybe two scripts. For someone at that level, it sounds like a fair trade. I have a friend who finished one script but over the past two years, has tried to finish other scripts and gets stuck at the 40-page mark. I'm recommending she throw her hat in the ring.
That.

You send him a logline and if you're picked he's going to work with you over the course of six months to develop a screenplay.

If you're new, need writing help, need the connections etc... ,unless you think you can do better on your own, what do you have to lose?

Unfortunately, I don't think my zombie epic is his cup 'o tea.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
NikeeGoddess
User

what is his cup of tea?
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
lostfootage
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
what is his cup of tea?
I get the idea he's looking for a potential high-concept studio movie, a comedy like MEET THE PARENTS or LIAR, LIAR. Or, a contained thriller. Or just a good thriller. High concept is the phrase he repeated a few times. SNAKES ON A PLANE.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
SuperScribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
what is his cup of tea?
If it's oolong, I'm in good shape. If not, I'm hoping he leans toward green.
SuperScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Knaight

If you're relatively new and recognize that you have a lot to learn, this is probably a fantastic opportunity.

Odds are that nothing will happen with the next script you write, anyway. Why not have a professional writer guide you through the process FOR FREE? Worst case scenario is that, again, nothing happens with your script. Even if that's the case, you will still learn a ton, which you'll be able to apply to the next script.

I don't see how a newer writer could lose out on this deal.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
SuperScribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
If you're relatively new and recognize that you have a lot to learn, this is probably a fantastic opportunity.

Odds are that nothing will happen with the next script you write, anyway. Why not have a professional writer guide you through the process FOR FREE? Worst case scenario is that, again, nothing happens with your script. Even if that's the case, you will still learn a ton, which you'll be able to apply to the next script.

I don't see how a newer writer could lose out on this deal.
Or even an older one. Like me.

(I'm totally tossing my hat in the ring here. I'd be a fool not to.)
Old 05-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
SuperScribe

Wow. Nothing to say, Knaight? Nothing at all. No pithy rejoinders? I'm surprised.