Why the Future of Mainstream Cinema Depends on You...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Future of Mainstream Cinema Depends on You...

... seeing Cloud Atlas this weekend. Or so says Matt Goldberg over at Collider.

Here's the link to his post. Gotta admit, he's convincing. I may be seeing Cloud Atlas this weekend if only to persuade Hollywood to make more films as ambitious as the Wachowskis and Tom Twyker's latest venture.

Re: Why the Future of Mainstream Cinema Depends on You...

I'm with you. Going to see it for sure.

Comment

Heck yes I am seeing it.
      www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
      http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

I'm going to see it, but I disagree with his premise. The problem with Hollywood isn't that they aren't making enough huge budget, effects laden epics. Even as Indies.

It's that they aren't making enough $15M films that can generate $35-50M at the box office.

Hollywood doesn't care about quality screenplays that hit solid singles. Everything has to be a walk-off homer deep to center, or a Grand Slam

Comment

after the Matrix sequels, V for Vendetta, and Speed Racer, I would feel like Rihanna going back to Chris Brown if I paid the Wachowskis for a ticket to Cloud Atlas

Comment

Only If Cloud Atlas is the greatest film ever conceived will his argument hold.

But if the film bombs because it's, let's say, pretentious stinking garbage, Hollywood will simply avoid pretentious stinking garbage in its future endeavors.
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Still not sure what Cloud Atlas is about.

Also not sure I'm willing to spending 2hr 52minutes trying to find out.

When Hollywood starts making good 90 minute movies again, it will be like finding new money.

Comment

Movies are not lacking ambition. They are lacking people who know what the fuck they are doing making the decisions.

Not seeing this movie until I have assurance that it doesn't smoke turds like everything else the Washoutskis have done since 1999.

Comment

Does feel BENJAMIN BUTTONISH in spots but should be a hit.
                  "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                  - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

yeah
                    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                      the Washoutskis
                      I see what you did there.

Comment

I seem to recall that argument floated with Inception. Yeah...Hollywood really sat up and took notice.
                        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Is that sarcasm, Signal? Can't tell...

Assuming it is, I think they kinda did. You see everywhere now, "looking for smart sci-fi in the vein of Inception." And I recall at least a few projects announced this year that are described as X meets Inception.

When something that ambitious is that successful, it turns heads. And pockets.

Comment

I'll probably see it in the theater. I read a paperback I picked up at a yard sale that had a similar concept: following the same group of characters from prehistoric times through era after era. (I gave it away so I forget the title).
                            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                              I read a paperback I picked up at a yard sale that had a similar concept: following the same group of characters from prehistoric times through era after era. (I gave it away so I forget the title).
                              I'm guessing the title was Cloud Atlas.

Comment

Working...
                              X