Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Banjaxed
User

Default Re: How do YOU possibly watch all the movies you want?

I find that unemployment helps.

Also, I have this, which aids in my movie watching substantially: http://www.cineworld.ie/unlimited/intro
Banjaxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
Ethan718
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjaxed View Post

Also, I have this, which aids in my movie watching substantially: http://www.cineworld.ie/unlimited/intro
Unemployment helps me as well. Go figure.

And TCM.
Ethan718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
Mossbraker
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBigfoot View Post
I burned over 3000 calories watching Gone With The Wind. No joke.
That's kind of awesome.
Mossbraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #14
nou
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog678 View Post
This is a subject I've been noticing that is becoming a problem for myself and maybe for some of you. I love movies. We all do. I know it's impossible to see every decent film out there. I figure with the internet, Netflix, theaters and anywhere else, that you can maybe see 70-80% of all good films in a given year, but even then, that's a stretch.

But now, my movie catalog is growing... out of control!!! I have over 200 films still that need to be watched, along with another 300-400+ on a list to watch in the future, whether it's coming out soon, or in the next 6-12 months. And the list keeps growing and growing. I figure it grows by about 10-20 new movies a month that get added to my list.

For now, I know out of those 200 films and the other 400, maybe 25-50% will be good enough, but I'm having a hard time trying to watch them all, as sometimes I take a few weeks off or 2 months off watching movies, cuz it does get stale and boring after a while, but something inside of me tells me I MUST watch these films, even if for a few minutes to make sure they're good. I can't fathom missing a great film as I'm sure all of you know is an amazing experience to have.

Am I trying to watch too many movies? How do you all try and watch the most you can while keeping busy with other life activities? Do I have a problem?

I've thought of ideas, such as watching only Oscar-nominated films, watching 50% or higher Rotten Tomato rated films, but every idea I have will always let those hard to find movie experiences slip through the cracks. I wish I could be that type of person who will only watch a favorite genre, or style or theater only movies, or indie movies only, but I'm not, when I sense a great story or piece of art in film, I need to see it, even if I know it's probably gonna suck.

Is there anybody else out there with a similar viewing habit? What ideas or rules do you follow in what you watch?
I was in the same boat as you, until I realized I was being dumb.

Netflix only carries mainstream stuff.

Watch something the same day you hear about it. Do not read a synopsis or reviews. Just get ahold of it and view it asap. There is no rational reason to discriminate what you will and won't watch. Blindly picking films is the best way to find what you really like/hate most about cinema, and it is educational.

I use a media player with a USB input. My internet connection downloads movies at 5mb/s. I dl them to a portable hard drive, plug the hard drive into the media player, hook media player up to tv. This way I can have a movie that I see on my computer up and running on my 42" TV in less than 10 minutes. Without having to download, convert and burn files to blank DVDs I can see twice as many movies.
nou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
britwrit
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjaxed View Post

Yeah. That Cineworld card is awesome (and a great bargain). Even the most marginal of films is still better when watched in a real cinema.
britwrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
tuukka

You don't need to watch that many movies.

Watching one older and one newer movie every week helps you to keep up to date with what is going on these days, and what has happened in the past.

I watch a bit more than that, but I have a 95% accuracy rate. Which means I enjoy 95% of the movies I watch. Sometimes I also watch bad movies on purpose. Having this kind of accuracy rate saves time.

Things that help me a great deal in picking movies, and can help you as well:

1. Watch movies in genres you are interested in.

2. Rottentomatoes.com. I don't even bother reading reviews much anymore, just checking out the average grade, freshness and the overall consensus is enough.

3. Metacritic.com. For the same reasons as RT.

4. Imdb.com. Good for tracking how much movie fans enjoyed something, not that good for tracking mainstream reactions. Just checking out the grade is usually enough.

5. Yahoo.com/movies, just check the grade. Although unfortunately the movies section has lost a lot of popularity in the last couple of years, and it's not good for tracking current movies. But films used to get dozens of thousands of votes in the movies section, much like IMDB. Yahoo is more mainstream, less for movie fanatics than IMDB, so it's good for tracking how much mainstream audiences enjoy(d) something.

6. I find Oscars and other awards far less useful in finding quality, than the aforementioned sites.

7. Find critics you agree with. I may suggest James Berardinelli who is an even-headed, analytical critic who enjoys movies in all genres, commercial works and arthouse movies alike.

8. Google is your friend. Typing stuff like "best Korean films of the 00's" or "best european horror movies of the 80's", etc, pays off in spades. Pretty much any list you ever wanted to find, is out there, usually compiled by smart and devoted people. It's easy to find the good ones. I search a lot of the more obscure stuff this way - The method is useless for mainstream stuff.
tuukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #17
finalact4

For me, I take a day-- usually every other weekend-- and will watch three movies at the movie theater. I time it so I can go from one to the next with a pause to eat dinner at the restaurant in the bar area at the theater. Then I watch another while drinking a glass of cabernet and eating a club sandwich with fries on my ipad--

It's awesome! But I only watch what interests me-- sci-fi, action, thriller and stay away from comedy and rom coms.

FA4
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
Biohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBigfoot View Post
I watch a lot of movies while riding the exercise bike. I just slide the bike in front of the tv, and watch, enjoy, and sweat. I don't even have to pedal fast.
That's how I watched the past Oscars. Burned a ton of calories, mostly from trying to escape, then realizing the bike was stationary, then subsequently crying.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #19
Dr. Vergerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuukka View Post
7. Find critics you agree with. I may suggest James Berardinelli who is an even-headed, analytical critic who enjoys movies in all genres, commercial works and arthouse movies alike.

8. Google is your friend. Typing stuff like "best Korean films of the 00's" or "best european horror movies of the 80's", etc, pays off in spades. Pretty much any list you ever wanted to find, is out there, usually compiled by smart and devoted people. It's easy to find the good ones. I search a lot of the more obscure stuff this way - The method is useless for mainstream stuff.
I really agree with both points. Regarding #7, I've found some blogs about cinema that I followed and from which I got great recommendations. Also communities like mubi.com.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
BloodyBigfoot
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
That's how I watched the past Oscars. Burned a ton of calories, mostly from trying to escape, then realizing the bike was stationary, then subsequently crying.

lmao
BloodyBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote