Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #561
Strangerthanfiction
User

Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

I've scored a 7 with 8's in some categories on the BL. It got me several downloads, but I never heard from anyone who downloaded it. Although something identical went into production with one of the bigwigs, identical characters, story ect... Which made me paranoid wondering if my script had been downloaded and basically plundered of ideas...
I recently put a new script up, and got an instant pro download that very night before I'd had any reader's ratings back. I took it down when I got my disappointing scores and did a re-write, re-listed it and got an instant pro download without a pro member looking at my page... Which I thought was a bit odd... But apparently they can still download without necessarily looking at your page...
Anyway my point with all of this is... I have no industry contacts, and trying to get an agent to even read your work here in the UK is basically impossible, they either ignore you, or politely write back stating "we're a small agency, and not taking on new clients". The bigger agencies want a reference from a professional such as a producer, before they will even consider to read your work... The BL is one avenue, and some people have had amazing success with it, but it's a tool, it can't perform any miracles, either it happens for you there, or it doesn't... Maybe nothing will ever come from the downloads I received, but there's always that remote chance, and without the BL, I wouldn't have that chance... The industry is hard, beyond belief hard, unless you're the talentless kid of some bigwig of course
Old 10-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #562
HarryDee
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
I've scored a 7 with 8's in some categories on the BL. It got me several downloads, but I never heard from anyone who downloaded it. Although something identical went into production with one of the bigwigs, identical characters, story ect... Which made me paranoid wondering if my script had been downloaded and basically plundered of ideas...
I recently put a new script up, and got an instant pro download that very night before I'd had any reader's ratings back. I took it down when I got my disappointing scores and did a re-write, re-listed it and got an instant pro download without a pro member looking at my page... Which I thought was a bit odd... But apparently they can still download without necessarily looking at your page...
Anyway my point with all of this is... I have no industry contacts, and trying to get an agent to even read your work here in the UK is basically impossible, they either ignore you, or politely write back stating "we're a small agency, and not taking on new clients". The bigger agencies want a reference from a professional such as a producer, before they will even consider to read your work... The BL is one avenue, and some people have had amazing success with it, but it's a tool, it can't perform any miracles, either it happens for you there, or it doesn't... Maybe nothing will ever come from the downloads I received, but there's always that remote chance, and without the BL, I wouldn't have that chance... The industry is hard, beyond belief hard, unless you're the talentless kid of some bigwig of course
Thanks for the response, man. I agree, all we can do is grind and try and exploit every option open to us. The industry is remarkably insular. Even the worst movie you've ever seen took a lot of work to make happen. I'm a fan of anything that tilts this a little towards the unknown writer.

Last edited by HarryDee : 10-21-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #563
JoeBanks

Hey Franklin,

Saw the Black List's promotion for its second birthday on Facebook (thanks!) and I definitely want to take advantage. I also know that the scripts I want to put up need another pass. Do we know how long the promotion will be in effect?

Grazie
Old 10-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #564
FranklinLeonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
Hey Franklin,

Saw the Black List's promotion for its second birthday on Facebook (thanks!) and I definitely want to take advantage. I also know that the scripts I want to put up need another pass. Do we know how long the promotion will be in effect?

Grazie
Can't make any promises but there's a reasonable chance it may end up being permanent.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #565
jariax
User

Did anyone actually win the Martin Katz fellowship?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #566
FranklinLeonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jariax View Post
Did anyone actually win the Martin Katz fellowship?
http://deadline.com/2014/09/toronto-...-prize-832013/
Old 10-31-2014, 04:50 AM   #567
murgvaela
New User

Can you tell us about the last success story?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #568
carcar

Although I've still yet to personally use the Black List myself, I must say that when I was at Austin, several speakers, panelists, etc. referenced it as a way in, with the writers among them saying if they were starting out, it would be one of the paths they'd take. So there is an awareness within the working community.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #569
ClintW3
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcar View Post
Although I've still yet to personally use the Black List myself, I must say that when I was at Austin, several speakers, panelists, etc. referenced it as a way in, with the writers among them saying if they were starting out, it would be one of the paths they'd take. So there is an awareness within the working community.
What she said.

Also, pros seem to find value in the vetting done by BL reader scores.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #570
Rhodi

Regarding the "end-of-year" Black List proper: does anyone know when voting actually occurs? I assume it must begin soon if the list comes out in early December.
Closed Thread