X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
    Franklin - I'm a WGAW Associate member - do I still qualify for the discount on the Blacklist 2.0 site? Thank you.
    Hmm, anyone else know the answer?
    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
      Hmm, anyone else know the answer?
      Do you have a member number? I think that's all you need, you just enter the number in your profile, but you might want to email support because I'm not sure.

Comment

He'll answer all your questions except WHO is downloading your script and show proof of the dozens of writers who are working in TV/Film due to the service. All I hear are people getting 8's who initially are happy but then later confused because no one cares.

Here's the effectiveness of giving no real information. If you score a 6, then you will kick yourself for not getting a 7 or 8 because you're sure that score would have been the difference between getting a read/option from "insert production company name." The people that get an 8 wait to see who bites and if no one does they curse themselves for not being good enough to get a 9 because they were so close and a 9 would have given them a career on the writing staff for "New Girl.". Then there are people who get a 9 and literally are dancing on air and think "this is it." When nothing happens and Lions Gate isn't reading the script they then scramble to make sense of things. They wonder if something is wrong with the script? Maybe if they got a 10. Yeah, they heard from somewhere vague a 10 would have done the trick. A 10 would have gotten them a script sale. So stupid they missed a 10 by 1 point. Now what do they do? Put a 9 in a query letter? If they tweak the script and pay the fee again surely they will get a 10 provided that particular reader likes it (there are accounts of people going down in score due to different reader), right? Only now they're looking at a 7 And on and on....

The whole thing is like those carnival games where you throw a small plastic circle at the top of a bottle but the bottle top's size is such that it can't happen and you aren't getting the giant panda.

Comment

A real question for Franklin vs. a bitch-and-moan question:

What is the trend in evaluation scores since site started? Just as many 8s, but far fewer 4s? Is the average the same? Has the median shifted?

Just curious how the quality of scripts posted has changed over time.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
            All I hear are people getting 8's who initially are happy but then later confused because no one cares.
            It's because the 8's that go nowhere aren't good enough. It's really that simple.
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Oh, I get it foxhound. The other 8's are working all over Hollywood now. It's that simple, huh? Some people get an 8 and the script is not marketable while other people get an 8 and they work for secret studios that BL can never ever let us know of this success.

If it were unveiled who was really downloading the scripts BL would be dropped like those old query level services. It's a bunch of people with no more juice then most of us here. Do you know how many people out there say they are producers or are starting a management agency? It's the same people trolling craigslist for scripts but never give their name and are more likely to steal a good idea/pitch then help make it. The very same. That is why no testimonials.

But to shut me up how about people respond with real incidents where BL has been a game changer (free option or dollar option people stand down). Give me three. Just three. All I ask. Take your time. But be specific.

Comment

Oh, I get it foxhound. The other 8's are working all over Hollywood now. It's that simple, huh? Some people get an 8 and the script is not marketable while other people get an 8 and they work for secret studios that BL can never ever let us know of this success.

If it were unveiled who was really downloading the scripts BL would be dropped like those old query level services. It's a bunch of people with no more juice then most of us here. Do you know how many people out there say they are producers or are starting a management agency? It's the same people trolling craigslist for scripts but never give their name and are more likely to steal a good idea/pitch then help make it. The very same. That is why no testimonials.

But to shut me up how about people respond with real incidents where BL has been a game changer (free option or dollar option people stand down). Give me three. Just three. All I ask. Take your time. But be specific.
                Three years ago when the blacklist was just revving up, I submitted a script that got 8s. It got a few downloads. Some nice ratings from some of the people who downloaded and an offer to option from a solid production company with a good track record. The only offer. It was an 18 month option with one renewal. I got a good four figure option fee and a good six figure sale price. But it was a pretty long negotiation for that. I did one rewrite. After the first option and crickets for 18 months and hopes they wouldn't renew, they did. Paid the option fee again. Again, crickets. It's up in December and I hope to get it back.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about it. This is what happens with 98% of options. Nothing. You hope, but reality is that any sale is beating unbelievably long odds, and any actual film made is a damn miracle. Would I use the blacklist again? It's kind of a moot question now as I don't need to. Things since then have been terrific for me and that blacklist option, which the production company never announced, had zero bearing on my career.

But... at the time, the Blacklist did work for me. I optioned the script and made some money. I don't really have a relationship with that production company though and in that time I've built great relationships with much bigger ones who I've worked for multiple times. Like anything else that promises "industry access", it's a crapshoot. I think wearing the soles of your shoes out networking is still the best way. Oh, and writing great scripts. Wish you luck.
                Last edited by EdFury; 08-02-2016, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Well, it wasn't a dollar option. Good for you, but it wasn't a genuine success story. You're right it's a crap shoot. people get involved with BL thinking they will get a career/script sale? Most everyone but what they're not saying is if this has happened to anyone and if it did it wasn't recently. It's like paying an unnamed craigslist "producer" 75 dollars to read your script in hopes it turns out to be the real deal who has the keys to the kingdom.

Comment

Here's an entire series of interviews with folks for whom it's been a game changer:

https://blog.blcklst.com/tagged/black-list-interview

Comment

I give your response on a scale of 1 thru 10 (like your readers do) a 4.

Comment

I give your response on a scale of 1 thru 10 (like your readers do) a 4.
                        "Give me three. Just three. All I ask. Take your time. But be specific."

And yet you continue.

Comment

You know I almost didn't read those wild success stories but I decided to take a chance because of your comment/claim that it answered all my questions and provided awesome examples of people "making it" in the industry through BL.

I didn't get that impression at all. I looked at 4 of them and no one was saying I sold a script to so & so or I got repped entirely off BL. They were saying certain things led up to certain points. Two of them mentioned something about going to a workshop which is face to face and yes that helped. One guy mentioned placing in Nichols then putting his script on BL and getting an option with an un-named production company. Where are the people who are saying "I got a 10 and then DreamWorks scooped up the script for low six figures." Where are the people saying I got an agent from CAA through - not a workshop - their high score which led to a download from this agent. You're about as specific here as a politician.

After reading your response that was filled with "specific" examples from the downloads I change your grade to a 3. Nice attempt. Anyway, is there any real examples of BL changing their life. Not a workshop set up through BL. An 8, 9 or 10 which simply led to... Ah, what's the use. I give up. Do it or don't. I have no skin in the game.

Comment

You know I almost didn't read those wild success stories but I decided to take a chance because of your comment/claim that it answered all my questions and provided awesome examples of people "making it" in the industry through BL.

I didn't get that impression at all. I looked at 4 of them and no one was saying I sold a script to so & so or I got repped entirely off BL. They were saying certain things led up to certain points. Two of them mentioned something about going to a workshop which is face to face and yes that helped. One guy mentioned placing in Nichols then putting his script on BL and getting an option with an un-named production company. Where are the people who are saying "I got a 10 and then DreamWorks scooped up the script for low six figures." Where are the people saying I got an agent from CAA through - not a workshop - their high score which led to a download from this agent. You're about as specific here as a politician.

After reading your response that was filled with "specific" examples from the downloads I change your grade to a 3. Nice attempt. Anyway, is there any real examples of BL changing their life. Not a workshop set up through BL. An 8, 9 or 10 which simply led to... Ah, what's the use. I give up. Do it or don't. I have no skin in the game.
                            Just do a search on these boards for "success" and "black list" and you'll find at least three or four. I got a WB Blind Deal. So did at least two other writers. More than one script has not only been optioned through the site but has actually been produced: NIGHTINGALE, SHOVEL BUDDIES, and another that was produced by a foreign producer. (Can't recall the name.)

The writer of the BUBBLES screenplay that topped this year's Black List found his manager through the Black List site. There are many, many examples. Did all 20,000 aspiring screenwriters who uploaded a script find success through the site? No. But are there at least the three examples you requested? Definitely.
                            Last edited by sallain; 08-02-2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Success can't be quantified in this business by looking for the exceptions to the rule. With or without the Blacklist, Dreamworks doesn't snap up specs. CAA doesn't grab new writers with one script. You work your way to that. There are rare exceptions, but if a writer is looking to be one, they'll be waiting a long long time. If the blacklist helps with some steps in that direction it's a success.

Screenwriting is a LONG game. Nothing happens quickly or in the time you want it to. I know people who have used blacklist success do just what I described. To use it as another building block to success, knowing that instant success, even with a 10 rated script is not going to be easy or quick. It's YOUR career, you need to do the work, the networking. The Blacklist can be another step in that journey, not the golden road. And to his credit, Franklin has NEVER claimed it was.

Was it part of a stepping stone for me? With my limited success? It didn't hurt. I did tell other producers about it. It's another notch on my CV that says legitimate producers see value in my work. It got a production company interested in my work. I still had to sell myself and the script. They got me the intro. That's all you can hope for. If more happens it's a bonus.

There are no shortcuts in this business. None. There are thousands and thousands of scripts out there for producers to weed through to find one they might want. And you might write a spectacular one that never gets traction for more reasons than you could believe. It's truly is a crapshoot. But one you can lessen the odds of by networking your ass off, maybe using something like the blacklist to help with that networking process, and writing and writing and writing. The Blacklist can be a vehicle to people that it might take you longer to get to otherwise. Not sales. Not options. Not reps. You still have to get those yourself. You have two jobs as a screenwriter. Write great scripts and sell yourself to them in the package. If you look at the Blacklist as a screenwriting dating service, it's been damn successful for quite a few writers.
                              Last edited by EdFury; 08-02-2016, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Over the years I have sent a particular micro budget script out to nameless producers with ads on craigslist. I don't like doing that. You never know who is looking at it. About 95% of the time I don't hear a thing back - one way or another. It's to be expected and I never thought it would lead to the big leagues. Of the remaining 5%, about 4% of them get back to me and they are trying to make something happen but have little money or power and nothing ever happens anyway (I've done the ole' dollar option once or twice this way). Again, expected. BUT approx' 1% of the time someone with some true film credits or part of something in the realm of C list gets back to me. I've had a few options with those types. Once for a hundred dollars. Nothing happened but a near miss - backing fell through (blah blah blah). I do not consider those success stories at all even though I brought dinner and a book with that hundred dollar option. Where did it get me? Nowhere. But I didn't part with 75 dollars to get the same thing on BL.

Actually I did... I did the service twice last year and it led to nothing. I had a few downloads but from who? Pretty much the same situation as craigslist when you send a script out. Completely the same. I don't know who is looking at the script and I paid for that. I believe it's the same type of people.

Comment

Working...
                                X