Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #811
Jimmy
User
 
Jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 55
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Well now the BL site investigator into my evaluation is agreeing with the reviewer. She sent me a few paragraphs, littered with almost as many fallacies as the original review, defending his position.

Apparently the grandmother's death resulted in no character change (a remarkably stupid statement if you know my story), and my protagonist is homophobic, despite his most intimate friend in the story being a bisexual man.

This is disgraceful. I will be telling all of my friends in Hollywood who bring up the BL that it is a complete waste of time.

Last edited by Jimmy : 06-01-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Jimmy is offline  
Old 06-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #812
Phoenixman78
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 91
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Well now the BL site investigator into my evaluation is agreeing with the reviewer. She sent me a few paragraphs, littered with almost as many fallacies as the original review, defending his position.

Apparently the grandmother's death resulted in no character change (a remarkably stupid statement if you know my story), and my protagonist is homophobic, despite his most intimate friend in the story being a bisexual man.

This is disgraceful. I will be telling all of my friends in Hollywood who bring up the BL that it is a complete waste of time.
Dunno what to say. I had 3 complaints and 3 re-evaluations.
Phoenixman78 is offline  
Old 06-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #813
Jimmy
User
 
Jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 55
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

I sent a thorough rebuttal to the claims made about my story, demonstrating incontrovertibly their complete falsehood, and was met with a response that the points I've raised are "ultimately subjective."

Art is subjective, I understand this. Facts are not. When you make a factual claim (my protag doesn't change following the central conflict, my protag says homophobic things) that can be directly disproven with scriptual evidence, and I proceed to disprove them, you cannot then pull the "subjectivity" card.

My script was not read with a careful, discerning eye. Incorrect conclusions were drawn, my rating was lowered on the basis of the incorrect conclusions, and when I point this out all I get is a doubling down on the same irrational conclusions that I've already proven false.

I can understand if my low rating was based on the script's quality of drama or construction. But when you tell me 2+2=5, I say you're wrong and I prove it, and you tell me well it's a subjective matter, I feel like I've had my money stolen.
Jimmy is offline  
Old 06-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #814
Jimmy
User
 
Jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 55
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Finally was given an additional evaluation. Faith potentially restored in the BL's credibility. Hopefully my next reviewer has an adequate level of reading comprehension.
Jimmy is offline  
Old 06-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #815
figment
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 904
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Finally was given an additional evaluation. Faith potentially restored in the BL's credibility. Hopefully my next reviewer has an adequate level of reading comprehension.
I can't help but to feel you are beating a dead horse, since you already don't trust the BL.

Considering the nature of your posts concerning this -- if you are counting on the BL for "notes" or for their notes to be somehow revelatory -- it's pretty well established that notes are not their strong suit. At all. They are a crap shoot, at best.

If it's feedback you want you may want to try one of the people here for notes -- Titan Creed charges 30 dollars, WAY cheaper than the BL, and his are good. But if it's praise you're looking for, rather than for someone to tear you a new one so you can revise, he isn't it.
figment is offline  
Old 06-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #816
Jimmy
User
 
Jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 55
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Why would anyone count on the BL for notes? I want a half-way intelligent person to read my script, because I feel like it deserves a high score.
Jimmy is offline  
Old 06-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #817
slupo
Member
 
slupo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 602
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Why would anyone count on the BL for notes? I want a half-way intelligent person to read my script, because I feel like it deserves a high score.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4GD2feZ8Q
slupo is offline  
Old 06-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #818
figment
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 904
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Why would anyone count on the BL for notes? I want a half-way intelligent person to read my script, because I feel like it deserves a high score.
Gee, perhaps because you were complaining about the notes for the last 150 posts.
figment is offline  
Old 06-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #819
Phoenixman78
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 91
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

I knew the BL ain't no coverage service but if you're gonna pay $75 for an evaluation and $25 hosting you might as well pour that into someone like the screenplay mechanic and hope for great notes and maybe even a "consider". You'll no doubt improve your script but a consider from him probably carries far more weight than a 9 from the BL.

Once I finish my next feature I'm gonna give him a go.
Phoenixman78 is offline  
Old 06-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #820
Satriales
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 182
Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixman78 View Post
I knew the BL ain't no coverage service but if you're gonna pay $75 for an evaluation and $25 hosting you might as well pour that into someone like the screenplay mechanic and hope for great notes and maybe even a "consider". You'll no doubt improve your script but a consider from him probably carries far more weight than a 9 from the BL.

Once I finish my next feature I'm gonna give him a go.
Interesting. Should I have been querying my Consider from Drew rather than my Blcklst 8s??
Satriales is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker