Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Basics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
Bono

Default Hey, kid

Been a long time since I've been in the depth of a screenplay rewrite. Fun!

I never know for sure, but what do you do when you're doing direct address, but it's not a name, but "kid" "lady"

So if it's

Hey, Barry. Barry is 5.

Hey, kid.

Hey, Kid.

I think Kid is supposed to be capitalized, but it looks better on paper to me as lowercase kid.

I don't think it matters much, but if you were writing it properly which way should I go, Kids?

There's like 5 or 6 of these screenwriting things that I feel everyone does differently when I read screenplays.

O.K. or okay. I have to write out okay myself.

I made money and I'm still asking basic questions! You're never too stupid (I mean old) to learn.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
finalact4

Default Re: Hey, kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Been a long time since I've been in the depth of a screenplay rewrite. Fun!

I never know for sure, but what do you do when you're doing direct address, but it's not a name, but "kid" "lady"

So if it's

Hey, Barry. Barry is 5.

Hey, kid.

Hey, Kid.

I think Kid is supposed to be capitalized, but it looks better on paper to me as lowercase kid.

I don't think it matters much, but if you were writing it properly which way should I go, Kids?

There's like 5 or 6 of these screenwriting things that I feel everyone does differently when I read screenplays.

O.K. or okay. I have to write out okay myself.

I made money and I'm still asking basic questions! You're never too stupid (I mean old) to learn.
the rule is if the "word" or nickname replaces a real name then it's capped. so...

"Mom, stop acting like that. Tell her, Dad."

if it's not specific then it's not capped, "As we always say, mom and dads are welcome."

"I will only say this once more, children get back to your seats."

those are grammar rules for proper writing.

if the KIDS or CHILDREN or the MOB, have been introduced in a screenplay as "characters" their first letter is always capped because they are literally "characters." So, this way...

It wasn't until the Kids captured the Children that the Mob began their killing spree. (screenplay purposes).

if you say... We see two CHILDREN approach the sidelines. they would not be first initial capped once you then proceed to NAME them.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #3
Mark Somers

What if you have a character addressing a baby goat?

Hey! You might do it in your house, but in this house we don't lick our butts. -- Mother Teresa

Mark Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Somers View Post
What if you have a character addressing a baby goat?
is the baby goat a character? meaning, will any goat do or will you require a trained one? if it's a trained one, i'd say, BABY GOAT on intro, then Baby Goat if it's referred to from there on out. but if it's a bunch of goats, then just GOATS at the intro then goats there after.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Rantanplan

I wouldn't capitalize it. Makes it look like that's his name.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:35 AM   #6
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantanplan View Post
I wouldn't capitalize it. Makes it look like that's his name.
I agree. It may technically be the "right way" to do it but it would make the script a pain to read.

Code:
JOHN and JOE are sitting in the ship's mess, staring at the dark, empty space through the porthole. JOE Empty out there. JOHN Yep. JOE Kind of creepy. JOHN Yep. And then a ZAP... Shimmering light as a GOAT materializes beside the table. JOE Aw, crap, not again. JOHN (murmuring) Yep. The goat grabs John's cap with his teeth and starts chewing. John doesn't notice. JOE Get the hell out of here, goat! JOHN Yep. The goat shimmers and disappears. JOE Goats in the works. JOHN Yep.
Now, if Goat was a name...

Code:
JOHN and JOE are sitting in the ship's mess, staring at the dark, empty space through the porthole. JOE Empty out there. JOHN Yep. JOE Kind of creepy. JOHN Yep. A small BULL TERRIER bounds in. Sits at Joe's feet. JOE That's my dog. I named him Goat. (pause) Goat, say hi to John. Goat clears his throat. GOAT Pleased to meet you, John. JOHN (unaware) Yep. After a moment... Joe shakes his head at John as Goat licks his own bum.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:42 AM   #7
dpaterso

THE WACO KID
Then one day, I was just walking
down the street when I heard a
voice behind me say, "Reach for
it, mister!" I spun around... and
there I was, face to face with a
six-year old kid. Well, I just
threw my guns down and walked
away. Little bastard shot me in
the ass.

dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
finalact4

most important thing is having it all capped to start, i think.

then, whatever you do, be consistent. i'm not sure it matters that much. i'm learning more about breaking down a scene like a line producer might, in order to understand how to control budget considerations. so if you have to have a special GOAT it might matter... not sure, tho.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
ComicBent

Confession: I skipped the other replies.

DIRECT ADDRESS

Short answer: Use the comma, as in *Hey, kid*.

Long answer: Sometimes, especially in screenwriting, these expletives like *Hey* are joined to the following name without a comma because there is little or no pause between the expletive and the name. However, I recommend using the comma. The comma has a significance besides signalling a pause.

CAPITALIZATION

Do not capitalize *kid* unless it is a name (maybe they always call him *Kid*, and would introduce him to others as *Kid*).

As always, some tough instances can arise. For example:

What do you do when are talking to a mayor and you want to call him *mister*?

Best way: What do you think, *Mr. Mayor*?

*Mayor* is not his name, but it is used as such here.

But, when talking to a policeman, these are both correct:

Correct: Good to see you again, *Officer Smith*.

Correct: I did not know I was speeding, *officer*.

Have a grammatically and stylistically correct day!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
StoryWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post

Looks like this is going to be one of those things that's wrong, no matter how you do it.