Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
brandonbaek67
New User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Default TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

I've read here that Trackingb has lost some steam in the last years whereas Launch Pad is one of the newer contests.

Which one would you enter if you had to choose?
brandonbaek67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Jai Brandon
Member
 
Jai Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 507
Default Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

From TrackingB:
Early Entry deadline is: July 30th, 2018 ($95). Late Entry deadline is: September 4th, 2018 ($110). And the Really Late Deadline is: October 9th, 2018 ($125).

Personally, I think these prices are absurd. I remember when TrackingB first started, it was $30 to enter. I can only assume the price has ballooned to keep the number of entries down, but these guys don't even take the time to send an email when the results are announced. After you submit your script, that'll be the last you've heard from this competition... unless you're fortunate enough to make the top three finalists or honorable mention. I can't subscribe to paying that much when nothing is given in return to 99% of the entrants. I don't really care for theblcklst.com too much, but at least you're given a scorecard with actual proof they've read the script.
__________________
FADE IN:
PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
NEVER FADE OUT.
Jai Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
briking
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 407
Default Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

Is tracking-board.com even running a features Launch Pad this year? I see no mention of it on their website. Only last year's results.
briking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Crayon
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ME3/EN/GB/UK/EU/UN
Posts: 608
Default Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

I've read that only the Nicholl and Austin contests are worthwhile.
__________________
Know this: I'm an amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
"The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." - Oscar Wilde
Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
NoNeckJoe
Regular
 
NoNeckJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 373
Default Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai Brandon View Post
From TrackingB:
Early Entry deadline is: July 30th, 2018 ($95). Late Entry deadline is: September 4th, 2018 ($110). And the Really Late Deadline is: October 9th, 2018 ($125).

Personally, I think these prices are absurd. I remember when TrackingB first started, it was $30 to enter. I can only assume the price has ballooned to keep the number of entries down, but these guys don't even take the time to send an email when the results are announced. After you submit your script, that'll be the last you've heard from this competition... unless you're fortunate enough to make the top three finalists or honorable mention. I can't subscribe to paying that much when nothing is given in return to 99% of the entrants. I don't really care for theblcklst.com too much, but at least you're given a scorecard with actual proof they've read the script.

Not only is Adam the Insider at TrackingB charging far more than any other contest, he operates with zero transparency whatsoever. There is no evidence that he reads more than a handful of scripts, as he requires a logline when submitting, and if he doesn't like your logline, there is no reason to believe he is reading even one page of your script. But he gets thousands of entries for both annual contests. Do the math. The guy is raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and very possibly reading only a couple dozen scripts, and promoting like 15 of them annually.



I know he does genuinely try to help the writers of those precious few scripts he actually reads and likes, but that does not in the least bit justify his predatory business model. It's a racket.
NoNeckJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
catcon
Member
 
catcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayon View Post
I've read that only the Nicholl and Austin contests are worthwhile.
Maybe try the Kairos Prize. They only get about 500 entries, the big prize is significant, and they claim everything gets read twice. The only issue is, good or bad, they're looking for faith-based - though they say they've received some good horror and sci-fi "faith-based" in their day. Early bird is Aug-1, I think, @ $50, and it gets much more expensive after that.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
UpandComing
Member
 
UpandComing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
Not only is Adam the Insider at TrackingB charging far more than any other contest, he operates with zero transparency whatsoever.

I know he does genuinely try to help the writers of those precious few scripts he actually reads and likes, but that does not in the least bit justify his predatory business model. It's a racket.
I stopped submitting scripts to TrackingB years ago for this very reason. It's the most expensive contest out there, yet:

*It does not offer any feedback/notes (unlike Nicholl, Austin, and PAGE)

*It promotes only a small fraction of contest entrants (unlike the majority of renowned competitions that recognize quarterfinalists and semifinalists, including Tracking Board's Launchpad)

*It allows anyone to enter, regardless of how much they've made in screenwriting earnings (Aaron Sorkin could apply)

*It only started telling entrants to leave their names off of the title page a few years ago, indicating that for years organizers were likely biased in favor of names they recognized

*It can't even be bothered to send a notification e-mail to all entrants when it posts its finalists/winners

I think for a $95 starting price it isn't too much to ask for a bit more value for entrants. Of course, they probably argue that "if you don't want to enter, just don't" -- but the fact that writers have a choice doesn't make their business model any less sleazy.

Considering all the money that is raked in and how little proof there is of actual related work, one wonders where all those dollars go...
__________________
I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.- Peter De Vries
UpandComing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #8
Friday
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 532
Default Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

How many entries does this one get? Who are the readers? The contest is so mysterious.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
Crayon
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ME3/EN/GB/UK/EU/UN
Posts: 608
Default Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
Maybe try the Kairos Prize. They only get about 500 entries, the big prize is significant, and they claim everything gets read twice. The only issue is, good or bad, they're looking for faith-based - though they say they've received some good horror and sci-fi "faith-based" in their day. Early bird is Aug-1, I think, @ $50, and it gets much more expensive after that.
Thanks for suggesting that contest. Unfortunately, or not, I could never pander to the absurd fantasies of an unethical death cult, such as Christianity, or accept (prize) money from its sectarian spin doctors.

I presume they only want scripts that are pro-faith-based, and wouldn't appreciate my anti-faith-based Protestant-Reformation-era horror script.
__________________
Know this: I'm an amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
"The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." - Oscar Wilde
Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
catcon
Member
 
catcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

Nice to receive your calm, thoughtful consideration on the topic of so-called "faith" films.

Anyway, I have my own no-go zone: I check a producer's credits, and if they've done anything pornographic - by which I mean hiring a bunch of nobodies to frolic in the nude for any more than 10 percent of the film, with the express purpose of generating a crass almighty buck while bypassing any serious attempt at respect, creativity, and meaning in the film, and avoid doing the honest hard work of, well, "work" - they don't get a chance to make a penny, let alone millions, off of my I.P.

Until we sign on the bottom line, it's the one and only time we get to be God - sorry, "dictator" - about the fate of our written creations.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker