Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #41
GucciGhostXXX

Default Re: Synopsis -- Producer to Financiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I should add, I get why he wants a synopsis. Because he wants to pitch your script but he's afraid that they won't take the time to read the spec. Isn't that annoying? They first need to read a 2 page summary? They can't hear the logline and the producer's passion, then say "Send us the spec."

I'm just saying, whenever possible, push to get them to read the source material. I hate it when they go out of their way to avoid just getting to the damn thing we use.

We aren't going to improv this **** and use the outline to make the movie. So if you're asking me for money, just send me the damn script.
LOL... like I've said, my ex sold **** she never read. She'll never admit that, but it's the truth. I also wonder if the execs actually read the script. I suspect no one actually reads scripts anymore, I suspect it's all based on coverage.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #42
Bono

I'm sure many higher ups don't read the script because they know 90% of the time they go to sell it, it won't sell and when it does sell it will change. So why even bother reading it now?

It almost makes sense. Someone you trust below you reads it and if it gets to you, you start making moves.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #43
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
I'm sure many higher ups don't read the script because they know 90% of the time they go to sell it, it won't sell and when it does sell it will change. So why even bother reading it now?

It almost makes sense. Someone you trust below you reads it and if it gets to you, you start making moves.

Yup.

I used to 'KNOW' I was being read by THE person, but now...? I highly doubt it. Now I think it's probably exactly what you said.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #44
Bono

Also the way movies are made, it's Tom Cruise in sequel to hit movie.. they greenlight that **** before a script.

But say it's my comedy spec, I'm sure my rep it once... and maybe the agent read it... and you hope producer read it... but when they send it out to the buyers, you feel that it's really up to the lower level people's ability to keep pitching it up the chain of command right? I assume that's how it works behind the scenes. Things move quickly. Do you want to buy this hot spec -- what's it about? And they pitch...

I could be wrong. Talking out of my fat ass. But I never assume it's all just based on the words on the page.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #45
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Also the way movies are made, it's Tom Cruise in sequel to hit movie.. they greenlight that **** before a script.

But say it's my comedy spec, I'm sure my rep it once... and maybe the agent read it... and you hope producer read it... but when they send it out to the buyers, you feel that it's really up to the lower level people's ability to keep pitching it up the chain of command right? I assume that's how it works behind the scenes. Things move quickly. Do you want to buy this hot spec -- what's it about? And they pitch...

I could be wrong. Talking out of my fat ass. But I never assume it's all just based on the words on the page.
Yeah, pretty nutz hearing Chris McQuarrie talk about M.I. and how it's already shooting, yet they don't have the 3rd act yet, or whatever. WTF? WOW! Can't even get away with that on a 1 mil comedy.

I honestly have no clue who's ACTUALLY reading these days, so for my sanity, I'ma just assume NOBODY. I'ma assume the intern did coverage and their assistants are passing on us.

Side note: Man, I think I seriously may be in the wrong gig (writing). Today I had an idea to contact someone high up in the publishing world about a specific something. I call their main line and ask to be put through to _____. The receptionist says "I'm sorry I can't put you through unsolicited, nor give you their contact info." I said "The reason I'm calling is _____." Receptionist "Oh... uhhh... lemme see if ____ is available." Receptionist hops back on the line "____ isn't available, but I can put your through to their voicemail." "Okay, great, thank you."

I leave a message for _____. 30 minutes later _____ calls me back. We then chat for... ehhh... 20 minutes? _____ is very nice. We even go into personal stuff for a bit. She suggests I email her. I do. 20 minutes later she responds to the email.

POINT: WHY DO I WRITE WHEN I'D MAKE A BETTER "SELLER"!???
Old 08-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #46
finalact4

Quote:

they do. if it's sent in by someone they trust. a top to top. i've seen the emails.

he loved the synopsis, said it was amazing. got it to 1.5 pages. i mean, it's alright, "amazing?" not sure. just glad it works for him. let's see how good he is at dialing for $$$.

fingers crossed.

Last edited by finalact4 : 08-02-2019 at 12:24 PM.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #47
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
they do. if it's sent in by someone they trust. a top to top. i've seen the emails.
I've seen those emails too... Because I was CC'd on them. I'm not saying it never happens (actual reads), but my hunch is that it's happening far less these days.

The other thing is, you have no way of knowing (unless you're literally sitting there WATCHING them read it) if they actually did. Again, my ex claimed to read stuff by big people that she absolutely did not. Instead we were sitting there watching some crap reality TV. Then she'd jump on the phone and FREESTYLE.

I don't trust emails these days. I only trust a meeting, that's the only why I can tell that they actually read it.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #48
Bono

Agreed. Nice on synopsis!
Old 08-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #49
lostfootage
Regular

Quote:

he loved the synopsis, said it was amazing. got it to 1.5 pages. i mean, it's alright, "amazing?" not sure. just glad it works for him. let's see how good he is at dialing for $$$.

fingers crossed.
Nice job on getting it down to 1.5 pages! I didn't chime in -- almost did, but didn't want to muddy the waters. I've written two fat novels and in the novel world, you're expected to provide a two-page summary of the novel when you query lit agents. They have taken me FOREVER to write. Getting the right level of details, leaving out subplots and some characters -- and yes, someone said -- focusing on the main character's emotional journey.

For a feature, I believe 1-1.5 pages is the perfect size. A few years ago I worked with a director who attached himself to one of my TV pilots and took it out. The things he wanted for marketing -- logline, 200-250 word short pitch (premise pitch), 5-10 page bible (just for TV, obviously) and the pilot script. He used the logline and the 250 word short pitch in emails a lot.

I might have a 250 word short "marketing" summary ready, or think about it, in case it comes up.

One of the short summaries I used as a model was this Kirkus review of Gone Girl. I think it's so good -- so little words, but gives you an actual feel of the entire story, and the tone.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...ynn/gone-girl/
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #50
sc111

Quote:

fingers crossed.
Excellent! Keep the updates coming. I'm so excited for you.